Charging problem

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Charging at home on my Tycan Turbo has gone well from July to April. It is set to charge to 85%. A couple times in April it stopped around 60%, just prior to the charging computer update. The update was performed and all the setting have been double checked, but it only charged to 39% this time. The breaker has not tripped and it charges additionally if it is unplugged and restarted. The dealer has had it twice and charges it easily. They have looked at my factory external charger and found nothing.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Charging at home on my Tycan Turbo has gone well from July to April. It is set to charge to 85%. A couple times in April it stopped around 60%, just prior to the charging computer update. The update was performed and all the setting have been double checked, but it only charged to 39% this time. The breaker has not tripped and it charges additionally if it is unplugged and restarted. The dealer has had it twice and charges it easily. They have looked at my factory external charger and found nothing.

Any ideas?
I had the same issue only once. I unplugged from car, unplugged from 240V outlet and replugged in and solved issue. Look at your Porsche connect application and check setting re charging, timer and profiles. Make sure there are no timers set in the application. Confirm you connection status to car. Only other thing I can think of is if your electric power company due to weather or consumption issue had reduced power consumption to homes .. that sometimes happens during adverse weather conditions etc.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag

Any ideas?
Can you provide some details? Like what does the center display say when the charge is at 39%? Does it say “charge complete?” Are you using a timer? Is the charge % set by profile?

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Can you provide some details? Like what does the center display say when the charge is at 39%? Does it say “charge complete?” Are you using a timer? Is the charge % set by profile?
I am getting an error on my phone app that says "error charging" and it stops and then restarts for a while when I unplug and plug back in.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am getting an error on my phone app that says "error charging" and it stops and then restarts for a while when I unplug and plug back in.
What EVSE are you using? What charge rate? Anything on the EVSE?

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not sure what charge rate, I am using the charger that came with the car........

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting if you charger also received the update have you or can you try another EVSE to see where the problem may be?

Bluebeauty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Any ideas?
Are you using the PMCC to charge at home, plugged into a 240v outlet? If so, I can tell you I had the same issue with interrupted charging a couple of times after having a 240v outlet installed outside my home. As you likely know, the amount of charge the PMCC sends to the car is scalable. I had originally set it to maximum (40amps) but soon started getting charging error notifications via the App, sometimes after just a few minutes, sometimes after as much as an hour of charging. Like you, restarting the charge session got things going again, but usually brought the charging error message soon thereafter. If you watch your PMCC for a few minutes after turning it on, you will notice the amount of amperage the PMCC says it is delivering constantly varies (by a little bit). At the max 40amp setting, my PMCC indicated it was actually delivering 41.2 to 42.0 amps to the car. I spoke with the electrician who installed my 240v outlet and he suggested it was slightly over-delivering because, in his words, “..that is what the car was asking for”. He suggested I make a slight reduction in the amperage setting on the PMCC and told me it wouldn’t add more than a few minutes to a typical charge anyway. So I reset the limit on the PMCC to 35amps and have been charging fault-free ever since. The reduction in the amperage limit has not seemed to make much of a difference in how long it takes to charge the car, either.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sounds like it could be your PMCC, but you will have to diagnose.

You have not generated any of the PMCC malfunction conditions as shown in the manual.

It is possible that your home may have lost power and thrown the PMCC out of whack which is fixed by unplugging and plugging the unit back in.

While plugged in you might try throwing the breaker then reset and see if that throws the PMCC off. This shouldn't affect a properly functioning unit.

As a low cost fix attempt you might:

Delete your current profile and reinstall just a basic profile. No TOU just a charge level and timer.

See if that works. If so try it for awhile.

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Are you using the PMCC to charge at home, plugged into a 240v outlet? If so, I can tell you I had the same issue with interrupted charging a couple of times after having a 240v outlet installed outside my home. As you likely know, the amount of charge the PMCC sends to the car is scalable. I had originally set it to maximum (40amps) but soon started getting charging error notifications via the App, sometimes after just a few minutes, sometimes after as much as an hour of charging. Like you, restarting the charge session got things going again, but usually brought the charging error message soon thereafter. If you watch your PMCC for a few minutes after turning it on, you will notice the amount of amperage the PMCC says it is delivering constantly varies (by a little bit). At the max 40amp setting, my PMCC indicated it was actually delivering 41.2 to 42.0 amps to the car. I spoke with the electrician who installed my 240v outlet and he suggested it was slightly over-delivering because, in his words, “..that is what the car was asking for”. He suggested I make a slight reduction in the amperage setting on the PMCC and told me it wouldn’t add more than a few minutes to a typical charge anyway. So I reset the limit on the PMCC to 35amps and have been charging fault-free ever since. The reduction in the amperage limit has not seemed to make much of a difference in how long it takes to charge the car, either.
Great ideas, will try. I just traded cable unit with the dealer to see if that works tonight. I think the power at the house is stable. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sounds like it could be your PMCC, but you will have to diagnose.

You have not generated any of the PMCC malfunction conditions as shown in the manual.

It is possible that your home may have lost power and thrown the PMCC out of whack which is fixed by unplugging and plugging the unit back in.

While plugged in you might try throwing the breaker then reset and see if that throws the PMCC off. This shouldn't affect a properly functioning unit.

As a low cost fix attempt you might:

Delete your current profile and reinstall just a basic profile. No TOU just a charge level and timer.

See if that works. If so try it for awhile.
I borrowed another charger from the dealer and worked perfectly.... so I am pretty sure my charger went bad.
Sponsored