Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Well, apparently some folk in US are saying that their plug can be removed without pushing the 'eject button' after a charging session as it has been 'ejected' automatically. I've never had this but several folk on the forum have mentioned it and perhaps it's a feature of the EVSE being used.
I’ve seen people saying that also, but mine is never unlocked after charging. At least, not any time I’ve checked it.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Weird. It doesn’t work that way at all for me. I only use a timer, with no profile, and I can leave my car for hours without unplugging it after the timer finishes.
It is weird that there are so many different experiences with the same settings.

I have only used departure timers, no profiles. And at one time I had to leave home unexpectedly an evening, for five days. I forgot that the car was plugged in for charge to be completed at 07.00 in the morning.

When I returned the car had charged to 80% as directed and was fine. I guess that the car had charged to 80% and as the Taycan has so little phantom drain, the battery was charged and then it all stopped.

I have never had any issue with overnight charging With only a departure time set. I am lucky to have 11kW available so the charge time is acceptable.

I wonder if the trouble occurs when the time available is too short for reaching the set charge level? If the power is too low and or the time is too short? Charge level cannot be reached at departure time set and then it continues charging.

Whatever the reason is , Porsche seem to have complicated the whole charging settings far too much.

And I cannot understand why we it is not possible to set the charge level for DC charging at say 85% and just stop? Why not?

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder if the trouble occurs when the time available is too short for reaching the set charge level? If the power is too low and or the time is too short? Charge level cannot be reached at departure time set and then it continues charging.
When I tested, I set it up to be able to finish and it did. And 30 min after the departure time, it started charging again and was 1% over target by the time I went out to turn it off. The general profile was unchecked during the test.

It doesn’t seem like “trouble” though if it’s documented to do this and there are no other settings for the car to go off of. Departure times are not maximum charge. They are a target charge for a specific time.

I’m going to test one more time tonight though to confirm.

Is your timer set to repeat? Mine wasn’t, but it may be logical for the next timer schedule to take over after one finishes and cause the car to wait instead of continue charging as it now has something to consider.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@W1NGE @Klepper @XLR82XS
You all stated you do not see the car continue charging 30 min later on a timer, but do you also have any of these additional settings?
  1. Have a profile activated
  2. Have the timer set for repeat
  3. Have other timers activated
I suspect any of those are likely to prevent the continued charging.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I think @W1NGE is correct here. Last night I tried charging with just a timer and no profile. 30 min later the car started charging again.
Why would Porsche have such a stupid system? Especially as they are trying to stop us all charging above 80 - 85%?

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why would Porsche have such a stupid system? Especially as they are trying to stop us all charging above 80 - 85%?
I agree it’s not logical to recommend not charging above a certain amount and then not providing an actual setting for that.

I think the current behavior comes down to a set of rules that profiles and timers create and are followed. In the case of no more rules, the car continues charging. A single expired timer with no other settings would case the car to continue charging because it doesn’t know what else to do.

I’m going to confirm a few things and then make up a flow chart for the rules.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Its only a recommendation and not a mandated requirement so hence the flexibility.

Keep in mind also that we only get to charge 100% of what is available to us as Porsche keep a protected safety margin of the battery's total capacity. So it could be they protect 10% - 15% of total physical capacity and so if we charge to 100% then in effect we are only charging to 90% or 85% of what is physically available.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I tested, I set it up to be able to finish and it did. And 30 min after the departure time, it started charging again and was 1% over target by the time I went out to turn it off. The general profile was unchecked during the test.

It doesn’t seem like “trouble” though if it’s documented to do this and there are no other settings for the car to go off of. Departure times are not maximum charge. They are a target charge for a specific time.

I’m going to test one more time tonight though to confirm.

Is your timer set to repeat? Mine wasn’t, but it may be logical for the next timer schedule to take over after one finishes and cause the car to wait instead of continue charging as it now has something to consider.
Yes I have the timer set for repeat twice per day. One time for 07.00 and one for 17.00. And the same pattern for all days in the week.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder if that only applies if you interrupt the charging while on a timer, but then don’t take out the plug:

89A738E2-A868-411B-B155-C4883338A1A8.jpeg
Where did you see this information.Is this from a 2021 Good to Know app?

I have not been able to find this text at all, but reading your photo now seems to confuse things more?

I was trying to see if I could find the original text in German to see if there is a translation issue

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Where did you see this information.Is this from a 2021 Good to Know app?

I have not been able to find this text at all, but reading your photo now seems to confuse things more?

I was trying to see if I could find the original text in German to see if there is a translation issue
It's in the app - MY21 (2nd edition) - in the Charging section, scroll down to 'Ending Charging with the timer'.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's in the app - MY21 (2nd edition) - in the Charging section, scroll down to 'Ending Charging with the timer'.
Thanks, that could be different then. I have a 2020 car and that is not in my Good to Know app.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
@W1NGE @Klepper @XLR82XS
You all stated you do not see the car continue charging 30 min later on a timer, but do you also have any of these additional settings?
1. No, I do not have a profile activated. I only use a timer
2. Yes, I have the timer set to repeat every day
3. I have other timers created, but not activated.

I think you may be onto something. It could be the repeated timer. After the timer is finished, it doesn't start again after 30 min as it's already paused for the next timer, which is set for the next day.

In the opposite situation, what happens if you plug the car in when you have no timers set, no profiles set, and "direct charging" not selected? Does the car start charging up to 100%? If so, maybe that is what the car is defaulting to after 30 min if there are no more timers.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
@W1NGE @Klepper @XLR82XS
Yes. I have a home profile set.
Timer set for Mon.-Fri.
No other timers.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
1. No, I do not have a profile activated. I only use a timer
2. Yes, I have the timer set to repeat every day
3. I have other timers created, but not activated.

I think you may be onto something. It could be the repeated timer. After the timer is finished, it doesn't start again after 30 min as it's already paused for the next timer, which is set for the next day.

In the opposite situation, what happens if you plug the car in when you have no timers set, no profiles set, and "direct charging" not selected? Does the car start charging up to 100%? If so, maybe that is what the car is defaulting to after 30 min if there are no more timers.
I have 2 profiles (2 locations which automatically switch when at the 'current' location) set.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
According to GTK, if there are no timers or profiles, it just charges to 100% automatically just like direct charging, which would be the case with no profiles and an expired non-repeating timer; so, I think the 30-min note is referencing when it goes back to the default direct charging mode of charging.

People that do not see it continue to charge after 30 min have an additional overriding rule, either a profile or another timer, or the same timer repeating.

Porsche Taycan Charging Profiles and Timers Graphic 6DA93900-C527-4E4A-8F41-650F0DC8EB2C
Sponsored