porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I made a trip last night for the express purpose of testing 350 kW charging from a low SoC in my Taycan. I've visited 350 kW chargers before, but never with a low enough SoC to really expect peak charging rates.

A few bits of background/observations:

• The trip from my home to the chargers was about 50 miles. I entered the charger as the destination in nav to get the battery pre-conditioned
  • Battery temp on arrival was 85°F
  • SoC on arrival was 6% (FWIW, Porsche nav predicted arrival SoC at 6%)
  • Outside air temp on arrival was 44° F (a bitter California winter's night)
  • It worked! Charging initiated without issue using the ChargingAmerica app on my iPhone
  • Peak observed charging rate was 263.81 kW when I was at 27% SoC
  • Charging plateaus at just over 200 kW for quite a while (the long flat part of the curve runs from 32% SoC to 56% SoC, and averaged 203.58 kW)
  • The charge rate remained above 120 kW up to 79%
  • During charging, the battery temperature was as high as 124°F, but cooled quickly when the charge rate dipped below 200 kW
  • Recorded measurements started at 10%, but the charge rate ramped very quickly when I first plugged the car in. It was essentially the same over the 7-10% interval.
  • I tried to measure the charge rate at least every 2-3%. Most observations were in 1% intervals
  • I unplugged at 80% SoC
  • Total charging time from 6%-81% (it inched up 1% as I walked to the charge port to unplug) was 22 minutes, 14 seconds
Here's a graph of the charge curve:

Porsche Taycan Charging report: EA 350 kW at Gilroy Premium Outlets, Gilroy, CA 11-8 Gilroy EA charge curve
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Interesting graph. The charging time etc is just what Porsche have said also. From about 5% to 80% in 22 minutes!

How did you manage to plot the graph? By manually reading or ....?

OP
OP
porsche_coyote

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Interesting graph. The charging time etc is just what Porsche have said also. From about 5% to 80% in 22 minutes!

How did you manage to plot the graph? By manually reading or ....?
I took a photo with my mobile phone's camera for each data point, then entered them manually into a spreadsheet...

I'm not aware of any customer-accessible data logging facility. But boy I would love one.

wil932

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I made a trip last night for the express purpose of testing 350 kW charging from a low SoC in my Taycan. I've visited 350 kW chargers before, but never with a low enough SoC to really expect peak charging rates.

A few bits of background/observations:

• The trip from my home to the chargers was about 50 miles. I entered the charger as the destination in nav to get the battery pre-conditioned
  • Battery temp on arrival was 85°F
  • SoC on arrival was 6% (FWIW, Porsche nav predicted arrival SoC at 6%)
  • Outside air temp on arrival was 44° F (a bitter California winter's night)
  • It worked! Charging initiated without issue using the ChargingAmerica app on my iPhone
  • Peak observed charging rate was 263.81 kW when I was at 27% SoC
  • Charging plateaus at just over 200 kW for quite a while (the long flat part of the curve runs from 32% SoC to 56% SoC, and averaged 203.58 kW)
  • The charge rate remained above 120 kW up to 79%
  • During charging, the battery temperature was as high as 124°F, but cooled quickly when the charge rate dipped below 200 kW
  • Recorded measurements started at 10%, but the charge rate ramped very quickly when I first plugged the car in. It was essentially the same over the 7-10% interval.
  • I tried to measure the charge rate at least every 2-3%. Most observations were in 1% intervals
  • I unplugged at 80% SoC
  • Total charging time from 6%-81% (it inched up 1% as I walked to the charge port to unplug) was 22 minutes, 14 seconds
Here's a graph of the charge curve:
Thank you for the great detail on the post. Question for you - I have had no luck when using the EA app and have been told to use the Porsche Connect app when charging at EA. Is one better than another? Are you able to use your free charging with EA on the EA app?
Sponsored