maudasilva

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Since yesterday (June 19, 2021), I no longer have been able to charge my 2021 Taycan using the EA chargers. The charging session runs as usual to the "initiating charging" reported by the EA station display when it gets interrupted. The car charger button indicator goes from white to red and the EA Station displays an error code: VEHICLE_PROXCAN_TIMEOUT - see attached image.
I tried 3 different locations, multiple charging towers in each, called EA from 2 location to no avail.
I also tried a DC charger by EV GO (50 kW) which worked fine. It is not clear to me if it is a on board charger issue or a new SW update of the EA stations I use/tried to use. The station ids are 200187, 200186 and 200183. They are all in the SF Bay Area and all stations are 150kW max.
Please let me know if you have experienced anything similar and what the solution was.
Right now my Taycan is a city only car : (
Sponsored

Attachments

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Since yesterday (June 19, 2021), I no longer have been able to charge my 2021 Taycan using the EA chargers. The charging session runs as usual to the "initiating charging" reported by the EA station display when it gets interrupted. The car charger button indicator goes from white to red and the EA Station displays an error code: VEHICLE_PROXCAN_TIMEOUT - see attached image.
I tried 3 different locations, multiple charging towers in each, called EA from 2 location to no avail.
I also tried a DC charger by EV GO (50 kW) which worked fine. It is not clear to me if it is a on board charger issue or a new SW update of the EA stations I use/tried to use. The station ids are 200187, 200186 and 200183. They are all in the SF Bay Area and all stations are 150kW max.
Please let me know if you have experienced anything similar and what the solution was.
Right now my Taycan is a city only car : (
I actually had the exact same issue and the exact same error when trying to use Plug and Charge (which has yet to work for me). After turning off Plug and Charge in the car and giving the station time to revert back to "default" state where it shows the plugs ready for use, I did the manual way of plugging in and waiting for it to bring up the "Welcome Guest" screen, at which point I initiated the charge session from the Charging NA app and it worked.

OP
OP
maudasilva

maudasilva

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I actually had the exact same issue and the exact same error when trying to use Plug and Charge (which has yet to work for me). After turning off Plug and Charge in the car and giving the station time to revert back to "default" state where it shows the plugs ready for use, I did the manual way of plugging in and waiting for it to bring up the "Welcome Guest" screen, at which point I initiated the charge session from the Charging NA app and it worked.
Thanks submatrix
I will try that. What information do you use to authenticate with EA? Did you open an account with them? And is it still free for the first 3 years? Thanks again

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Thanks submatrix
I will try that. What information do you use to authenticate with EA? Did you open an account with them? And is it still free for the first 3 years? Thanks again
No need to have an EA account. You login to your Porsche account in the Charging NA app and it somehow has the necessary info to tell the EA station to start a charging session using your 3 free years plan.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 2020, the Porsche Connect App is new Jun 9. I went today and could not charge at an EA station. I tried many things, then spent 18 minutes on the phone with EA, they could not get it to work either. An audi could not get his to charge either... Porsche + EA = JUNK. Btw the EA rep had me use the Charging NA app, NOT the Porsche connect that I was trying. That was the first time they suggested I use that.

OP
OP
maudasilva

maudasilva

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
No need to have an EA account. You login to your Porsche account in the Charging NA app and it somehow has the necessary info to tell the EA station to start a charging session using your 3 free years plan.
Perfect. I just did that and it worked. Thank you

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
that somehow with the NA app is because when you log into it, it links with your porsche connect account.
and for me that is where the glitches begin. for some reason I have a 50/50 chance of getting a charging session to start without calling into EA and now it is 2 times where I could not get a session to start at all.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
that somehow with the NA app is because when you log into it, it links with your porsche connect account.
and for me that is where the glitches begin. for some reason I have a 50/50 chance of getting a charging session to start without calling into EA and now it is 2 times where I could not get a session to start at all.
What are the symptoms for you? I also had to call in twice now, out of 3 charging sessions I've attempted. But part of it is also me just getting used to the quirks of the system. One issue I had was that the very first time I tried to charge at EA, if I initiated the session from the Charging NA app while the station was still "Connecting to vehicle..." it would error out immediately. It seems more reliable if you wait until it brings up the "Welcome Guest" screen (ie where it is waiting for payment) at which point you initiate the session from the app.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I'm even attempting to get Plug and Share working, with manual session initiation as a "fallback".

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
What are the symptoms for you? I also had to call in twice now, out of 3 charging sessions I've attempted. But part of it is also me just getting used to the quirks of the system. One issue I had was that the very first time I tried to charge at EA, if I initiated the session from the Charging NA app while the station was still "Connecting to vehicle..." it would error out immediately. It seems more reliable if you wait until it brings up the "Welcome Guest" screen (ie where it is waiting for payment) at which point you initiate the session from the app.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I'm even attempting to get Plug and Share working, with manual session initiation as a "fallback".
similar to yours, I've also had 2 complete fail to charge incidents. the first one I was fortunate that there was a greenlots unit a few miles away and I charged there, this past friday was more problematic I got a fail to charge, I had 56 miles of range and the next EA station was 48 miles away so I white knuckled it there only to get the same error message but the EA charging gods were looking over me and the unit glitched and gave me a session via the paid EA ap and I was able to charge. I have an open ticket with porsche NA and hopefully we can figure out what the issue is. the way I see it is that the "handshake" between the car and the EA unit is not taking place for some reason, and this is bolstered by the EA tech saying that he couldn't "see" my plugged in car at the charger.
one mistake I made was a few times the EA people rebooted their charger and that got things working, I didn't make them reboot on the recent fail to charge.

I hate to threaten but Porsche MUST resolve this problem or they are getting the car back because if I cannot be assured of getting a charge whenever I travel the car is useless to me.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
similar to yours, I've also had 2 complete fail to charge incidents. the first one I was fortunate that there was a greenlots unit a few miles away and I charged there, this past friday was more problematic I got a fail to charge, I had 56 miles of range and the next EA station was 48 miles away so I white knuckled it there only to get the same error message but the EA charging gods were looking over me and the unit glitched and gave me a session via the paid EA ap and I was able to charge. I have an open ticket with porsche NA and hopefully we can figure out what the issue is. the way I see it is that the "handshake" between the car and the EA unit is not taking place for some reason, and this is bolstered by the EA tech saying that he couldn't "see" my plugged in car at the charger.
one mistake I made was a few times the EA people rebooted their charger and that got things working, I didn't make them reboot on the recent fail to charge.

I hate to threaten but Porsche MUST resolve this problem or they are getting the car back because if I cannot be assured of getting a charge whenever I travel the car is useless to me.
Do you have Plug and Charge turned on in PCM? If so, you can try turning it off. If it's on then the car will try to do the fancy payment authentication automatically and then try to start the charge session automatically, which is where things error out for me. With Plug and Charge off, the charger simply connects to the vehicle, and then brings up the payment screen. I then initiate the session manually from Charging NA.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Do you have Plug and Charge turned on in PCM? If so, you can try turning it off. If it's on then the car will try to do the fancy payment authentication automatically and then try to start the charge session automatically, which is where things error out for me. With Plug and Charge off, the charger simply connects to the vehicle, and then brings up the payment screen. I then initiate the session manually from Charging NA.
no, that feature is blocked in my car due to having the 19.2 kw charger onboard

OP
OP
maudasilva

maudasilva

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
no, that feature is blocked in my car due to having the 19.2 kw charger onboard
The Plug and Charge option is not available in my car, so I could not turn it off as well; however, it worked by selecting the EA charging station on the Connect App BEFORE plugging it into the car. I guess this avoids the hick-up causing the issue.
However, it is still a problem because some EA stations (e.g., in Garberville, CA) do not have cellular coverage for my mobile phone carrier. How does one start the charging session without the phone? Paying by CC at the charging tower, I guess. I need to try that.
But it is rather unacceptable that Porsche and EA cannot fix the strait plug and change option.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
We were at the tail end of 3 day drive from Houston to Seattle when we encountered charging issues at EA @ roughly 11pm PT @ 6/20. Neither the Porsche App nor Electrify America app could activate the charger.

My Taycan would be able to handshake w/ the charger and was able to get to the "Hi <member>" screen w/ the price, but when starting the charge on either app I would get an unexpected error on all 4 stations and all 7 plugs. Had issues getting in contact w/ Porsche or EA and the only way I was able to get the car and the only way I could start the charge was by using my Credit Card and even then the car would only charge at a reduced 67kW.

We managed to make it to the next EA charging station @ 1:18am PT @ 6/21, but same thing on all the station at which point we were able to get in contact w/ EA. EA was able to activate the charger from their side and we were then getting the full charge rate.

Issue continued at our next stop @ 4:20am PT at all the stations and had to call EA to activate again. They were all ready to go as I had told them that I was going to be at my next stop in about 2 hours time on the previous call so their team was already ready which was wonderful.

Got back home, took a nap and then took the car down to another station @ 12:55PM to see if the problem was still occurring and I had to take the car to the dealership for some other repair anyway. Was actually able to start the charger, but then after 1 min the charging unexpected stopped.

My Taycan is currently at the dealer right now and they're looking into things.

Now a FYI on my situation, we had put about 6000+ miles on it over 7 days of driving. 4 days on the trip down to Houston and then 3 days on the way up. When the issue started happening for me, my Taycan had been driving for about 20 hours. Fun trip, doing a write up on it as there was a lot of learning.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
We were at the tail end of 3 day drive from Houston to Seattle when we encountered charging issues at EA @ roughly 11pm PT @ 6/20. Neither the Porsche App nor Electrify America app could activate the charger.

My Taycan would be able to handshake w/ the charger and was able to get to the "Hi <member>" screen w/ the price, but when starting the charge on either app I would get an unexpected error on all 4 stations and all 7 plugs. Had issues getting in contact w/ Porsche or EA and the only way I was able to get the car and the only way I could start the charge was by using my Credit Card and even then the car would only charge at a reduced 67kW.

We managed to make it to the next EA charging station @ 1:18am PT @ 6/21, but same thing on all the station at which point we were able to get in contact w/ EA. EA was able to activate the charger from their side and we were then getting the full charge rate.

Issue continued at our next stop @ 4:20am PT at all the stations and had to call EA to activate again. They were all ready to go as I had told them that I was going to be at my next stop in about 2 hours time on the previous call so their team was already ready which was wonderful.

Got back home, took a nap and then took the car down to another station @ 12:55PM to see if the problem was still occurring and I had to take the car to the dealership for some other repair anyway. Was actually able to start the charger, but then after 1 min the charging unexpected stopped.

My Taycan is currently at the dealer right now and they're looking into things.

Now a FYI on my situation, we had put about 6000+ miles on it over 7 days of driving. 4 days on the trip down to Houston and then 3 days on the way up. When the issue started happening for me, my Taycan had been driving for about 20 hours. Fun trip, doing a write up on it as there was a lot of learning.
I am in the process of having my dealership and porsche NA look into my issues which are similar to yours. I would ask that you contact customer care at porsche NA so they can get involved in the process of diagnosing your car. there are many cars like ours that have some sort of flaw inhibiting the charging at the EA units and I would like to see as many as possible incidents noted to Porsche so they will take this more seriously.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am in the process of having my dealership and porsche NA look into my issues which are similar to yours. I would ask that you contact customer care at porsche NA so they can get involved in the process of diagnosing your car. there are many cars like ours that have some sort of flaw inhibiting the charging at the EA units and I would like to see as many as possible incidents noted to Porsche so they will take this more seriously.
Yeah, they got an unhappy email from me when I was having issues at 2am. When you've been driving for 18 hours straight and you are at the only charging station in the middle of no where Southeast Washington and start having issues which appears to be vehicle relates you are not the happiest camper. They also got a call after I had I was better rested and in contact w/ my dealer.

To be fair, my Taycan was working flawlessly and was a champ until the final 4 hours on ~6,000 mile trip.
Sponsored