Charging speed, battery capacity and long distance range

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
https://www.p3-group.com/en/p3-char...ehicles-from-a-users-perspective-update-2021/

This is a really interesting for long distance driving potential . I have added the most interesting graphs at the end.

Fast charging capability, battery capacity and vehicle economy are all important for long distance driving. With a sufficient battery capacity, fast charging might even be more important. Also see the Out of spec video comparing Taycan, Tesla M3 / MX, Mach E and Ioniq 5.

Charge curves and average charge are more important than peak power. Taycan still performs best. Also see the thread on fast charging by Bjorn Nyland. Selecting economic charging might not be too bad. Save 270 kw charging for selected stops.

also interstating : 1000 km challenge. Don’t like it that het calls the CT the fat Taycan however.

Combining charging speed and driving economy gives a usable parameter: km charged in 20 minutes. Not convinced by the p3 index. Why 300 km? For the Taycan 250 would be better.

Best range at around 20 degrees celius

Taycan is the only one actual performing better than WLTP but still really high compared to others.

Discussion:
27 kWh/ 100 km is really high for the Taycan. They tested a Turbo, probably on 21 but stilI am around 23 and less for normal highway driving.

Availablity of fast chargers is also really important. And probably more availability during holiday. Big advantage for Tesla with stations with 30 chargers

Everything changes when charging strategy changes. With the Taycan the fastest way to travel might be to go between 60 and 10 SoC and short charges. Wouldn’t be good for battery longevity however.

At the end we didn’t buy the Taycan for economy but for driving fun. But still it appears to be a good long distance cruiser and most important a fantastic daily driver.

Porsche Taycan Charging speed, battery capacity and long distance range 62789B0B-D6EF-4AB9-A211-D28132A9F2AB

Porsche Taycan Charging speed, battery capacity and long distance range 57BAD6F6-F915-4FAE-A0CE-A219EA7088C2

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I looked at that video and I can fully agree with you, the Taycan is very good for long distance travel, if you have access to Ionity or other 350 kW chargers along the route.

A few things stand out for me in this video though
  • The charging planner in the beginning of the video is not working. His arrival SoC is negative and the icon spins all the time. Unfortunately that seems to be a common problem with the Planner. 4. This is something Porsche needs to address.
  • The Taycan seem to take forever to communicate with the charger. Same as my experience with Ionity. Very surprised that this still is the case when Porsche is part ownere and driving force behind Ionity. Seems they have skipped a lot of testing! Again something Porsche have all the tools to address.
  • The number of Ionity chargers that did not perform properly for Björn as well as others in the video. That does not bode well for the holiday period when a lot of EV’s will be requiring chargers. And this year there are so many more on the road than last year.
And yes the consumption seems quite high. I have driven the same route from Helsingborg up to Gothenbourg twice. And the road surface on that stretch is very coarse and rough. The noise level with 21 inch wheels is unbelievably loud and disturbing. Forget any kind of quality difference from Standard radio to Burmester, you will not hear it anyway. I also noted considerably higher consumption on that stretch of road compared to the roads through Denmark and Germany! Likely up to 15% extra!

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I looked at that video and I can fully agree with you, the Taycan is very good for long distance travel, if you have access to Ionity or other 350 kW chargers along the route.

A few things stand out for me in this video though
  • The charging planner in the beginning of the video is not working. His arrival SoC is negative and the icon spins all the time. Unfortunately that seems to be a common problem with the Planner. 4. This is something Porsche needs to address.
  • The Taycan seem to take forever to communicate with the charger. Same as my experience with Ionity. Very surprised that this still is the case when Porsche is part ownere and driving force behind Ionity. Seems they have skipped a lot of testing! Again something Porsche have all the tools to address.
  • The number of Ionity chargers that did not perform properly for Björn as well as others in the video. That does not bode well for the holiday period when a lot of EV’s will be requiring chargers. And this year there are so many more on the road than last year.
And yes the consumption seems quite high. I have driven the same route from Helsingborg up to Gothenbourg twice. And the road surface on that stretch is very coarse and rough. The noise level with 21 inch wheels is unbelievably loud and disturbing. Forget any kind of quality difference from Standard radio to Burmester, you will not hear it anyway. I also noted considerably higher consumption on that stretch of road compared to the roads through Denmark and Germany! Likely up to 15% extra!
Yes and for the first two charges he had his car in economy charge mode which he didn’t know about. He used in his other video that he posted earlier? Maybe he recorded this one first?

He starts charging at 32 Celsius battery temp. I think it is not preconditioned. He is navigating to the fast charger adres not to the fast charging stop to charge. Happened to me to. You actually have to enter the address and then search for a charger. And it will find it and accept is as a charge stop (shows by indicating the free and total charger). You probably knew this but it was new for me till last week.

And he is not in range mode and has 21 inch tires. Range would be better on lowest setting, 20 inch and eco airconditioning.

He is hiding the speed with his passport but it also shows of the left tube. He was doing 130.

I think with these tests slow hand shakes and broken chargers are important and should be taken in account.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You actually have to enter the address and then search for a charger. And it will find it and accept is as a charge stop (shows by indicating the free and total charger).
I normally do that yes. I try to find the Ionity charger on the map and then open it and set that as the destination. The feature to see how many chargers are free etc used to be there but has disappeared after the migration/upgrade. Car will be going in to the service for chevk on Tuesday for the umpteenth time,so I do not have much hope for resolving this in my car.

Even when I have set the charger as the destination I seldom have had my battery much warmer than 30 to 35 degrees. But I still have seen 260 kW charge rates. Have you seen higher tempertures for the battery as pre conditioning?

I mostly limit the charging to 200 kW now, just to be able to hve a short break and a coffee! That is how good I feel about the Taycan charging! Once it gets going it runs, but handshake etc can be long.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I normally do that yes. I try to find the Ionity charger on the map and then open it and set that as the destination. The feature to see how many chargers are free etc used to be there but has disappeared after the migration/upgrade. Car will be going in to the service for chevk on Tuesday for the umpteenth time,so I do not have much hope for resolving this in my car.

Even when I have set the charger as the destination I seldom have had my battery much warmer than 30 to 35 degrees. But I still have seen 260 kW charge rates. Have you seen higher tempertures for the battery as pre conditioning?

I mostly limit the charging to 200 kW now, just to be able to hve a short break and a coffee! That is how good I feel about the Taycan charging! Once it gets going it runs, but handshake etc can be long.
If I navigate to the address and name it doesn’t recognize it as a charge. However if I use the function “search for a charger on this location”, it shows the charger with the same name at 0 km distance but now as a charger and with the number of chargers and free ones in yellow.

Stupid thing is that it takes a while because I can only do this in my car. I can’t just send the charges from my phone to the car or add them as favorites. I have to “activate“ as charges in my car. And then save them as favorites. Now I have a list of charge stops in my favorites for my road trip.

I tried it last week and it was preconditioned around 45 degrees. I found it quite high. It think I will also use the 200 kw max setting for most of my fast charging on holidays. We have a dog that needs a walk anyway. And I like drinking a coffee and that is more than 20 minutes total anyway.
Sponsored