Charging speed not slowing down at 90% SOC when using a 50kwh DC charger.

OP
OP

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I'm curious why you would want to set max charge at a DC charger to 85%? Do you have one at home? Are you using it on a nightly basis?

There is absolutely no worries about charging your battery to 100% as long as you are going to drive it off. (I believe consensus currently recommends driving it off "within 24 hrs"). You are NOT going to damage your battery by charging it to 100%. That is exactly why you have 100% to work with! Otherwise, what's the point?

(Not that I'm suggesting this, but there is even some debate that you could even charge your battery to 100% every night and not notice an appreciable decrease in range for a very long time. Porsche is only letting you use about 90% of the total battery capacity in any case. 93.4KW capacity but only 83.7KW usable.)

Why are you worried about charging to 100% at a DC charger?
I don't have a home charger, so I have to take advantage of public charger.
Sponsored

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I don't have a home charger, so I have to take advantage of public charger.
...and you are leaving your car at the public charger. I get it.

Will the Porsche Connect app (or EA app or some other app) notify you when the car reaches a specific charge level? Maybe you can get notified when your car is "ready"?

I do all I can to NOT use the Porsche software, but maybe there is some notification feature which might help mitigate your concern?

I don't know your personal situation, but having a home charger makes EV ownership work for me. I'm not sure I would own one if I couldn't just plug my car(s) in every night. I'm not calling you out on this, just REALLY suggesting you take a look at what options are available.

I installed some high power outlets at my office (220V/50A) so folks could charge their cars at the office if they could not do so at home. Do you have access to a high power outlet at work (if not at home)? Sometimes, if you can charge "daily" at the office it can be just as convenient as if you charged "nightly" at home...

You are a true EV warrior!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think this is a good point. If you are on a road trip, charge to 100%. Assuming you are grabbing a snack, nature break or whatever while charging, leave the car and don't worry about it. If it's convenient to do so and some SOC < 100% is good enough for your remaining travel home, stop it before 100% and don't worry about it. In either case, as pointed out if you aren't leaving the car at 100% for a long period and you aren't doing this frequently, don't worry about it. My $0.02.
Tempered slightly....

Once you crest 80-85% (@100-125KW) you are going to see your charging rate start to decline pretty dramatically. While charging to 100% is going to give you maximum protection in the event that a station is down, you are also going to pay (timewise) for that last 15% very disproportionately.

With ABRP you typically plan to schedule your arrival at the next stop at 10% SOC. (...and you can change this.) The reason ABRP (and other route planners) work off the "bottom of your battery" is that your charging rate is significantly faster as the battery is more depleted. If you want to make your charging time as quick as possible, then work off the "bottom of your battery" not the top. In fact, you are never going to get the full value of those high power 350KW charging stations unless you are all the way down to 5-10% or so. You'll likely spend most of your time at chargers at no more than about 150-100KW charging rates in real life (regardless if they can provide more)...

However, this all assumes that everything is exactly dependable and as it should be. It seldom is...

So, I let ABRP plan for 10% SOC on arrival, but when it tells me I only need to charge to 65% (for example) at a particular charger, I still take it up to 80-85% percent as a safety buffer. 80-85% because that is the bend in the rate curve where charging really starts to slow down. It typically only takes a few more minutes to hit 85% but can take significantly longer to reach 100%.

OP
OP

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
...and you are leaving your car at the public charger. I get it.

Will the Porsche Connect app (or EA app or some other app) notify you when the car reaches a specific charge level? Maybe you can get notified when your car is "ready"?

I do all I can to NOT use the Porsche software, but maybe there is some notification feature which might help mitigate your concern?

I don't know your personal situation, but having a home charger makes EV ownership work for me. I'm not sure I would own one if I couldn't just plug my car(s) in every night. I'm not calling you out on this, just REALLY suggesting you take a look at what options are available.

I installed some high power outlets at my office (220V/50A) so folks could charge their cars at the office if they could not do so at home. Do you have access to a high power outlet at work (if not at home)? Sometimes, if you can charge "daily" at the office it can be just as convenient as if you charged "nightly" at home...

You are a true EV warrior!
My Taycan did not come with Porsche Connect as promised. Does the app allow you to stop the charging remotely?

Thanks!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Taycan did not come with Porsche Connect as promised. Does the app allow you to stop the charging remotely?

Thanks!
Personally, I have no idea. I don't even try to use Porsche Connect anymore. (only once in while to see if its been "improved" - largely not)

The other thing you might consider, as there could be a very big difference between being NOTIFIED via Porsche Connect and using it to CONTROL your charging... There is some speculation that Using Porsche Connect to CONTROL/alter/update your charging parameters could be part of the issues which is mysteriously killing 12V Taycan Batteries. (By leaving the PCM running in the background). Getting NOTIFIED might be less "dangerous" than trying to shut down a charging session via PC.

In any case, we are talking about DC charging, and although I don't use PC much anymore, I think its already been said that it doesn't have anything to do with DC charging...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I tried again today and the car was still taking 47kwh at 89%...I was too worried to continue...
Charging slow over night is the best for the battery. But 47kWh is not that much. If you want to, you can check if the battery temperature goes much above the outside temp of around 22°C.

Can't you use the app, to stop the DC charging?

OP
OP

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Charging slow over night is the best for the battery. But 47kWh is not that much. If you want to, you can check if the battery temperature goes much above the outside temp of around 22°C.

Can't you use the app, to stop the DC charging?
Porsche decided to remove connectivity for the cars in HK.