Charging the Porsche Taycan with 120-Volt (120v) Charging Plug (Video)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I have the EVSE that comes standard with the 2022 Taycan 4s.
I agree with Dave. Sounds like you have the PMCC, which is optional, not standard equipment. PMC+ is standard and has 50% or 100% indicator changed by pressing a button. Picture would help to confirm. If. You have a touch screen, it’s the PMCC.

ItsMyWifesCar

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with Dave. Sounds like you have the PMCC, which is optional, not standard equipment. PMC+ is standard and has 50% or 100% indicator changed by pressing a button. Picture would help to confirm. If. You have a touch screen, it’s the PMCC.
I have the PMCC.

This is obviously not my preferred means of charging; at home I use a free Level2 charger provided by the city. I have no garage, myself; I lease a spot nearby. I do however travel to Northern New Hampshire and northern Maine often. I plug into 110v outlets or 220v outlet where and when I can up there. If I can improve my 110v charge rate to at least a kilowatt, that would huge. Is there a product I could buy that would improve this? Is there something smaller and lighter than this PMCC provided by Porsche (which is just incredibly clunky)?

thanks

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
you can set the PMCC to 12 amps and it will charge at 1,000 watts or more

there are many many moble EV chargers that are cheaper, smaller, and better than the PMCC

Tesla UMC Gen 2 is a great 32 amp mobile charger with a wide range of plug adapters but you'll need a TeslaTap to use it with the Taycan (no big deal) you should have one of these anyways - can use Tesla chargers at hotels and other businesses then (not superchargers)

or Mustart makes a good portable charger with a wide range of plug adapters - again smaller, lighter and better than the PMCC

both the Tesla UMC Gen2 and Mustart charger's are less money than what Porsche will charge you for an extra PMCC supply cable - so you can put together a kit for way less than $500 that will be an excellent mobile charger kit…

this thread may point you in some useful direction

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...and-useful-road-warrior-ev-charging-kit.6812/

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
If I can improve my 110v charge rate to at least a kilowatt
I again agree with Dave that you should be a able to go up to 12 amps. It’s unlikely you are on anything less than a 15 amp circuit. I don’t have a PMCC though, so I’m not familiar with changing it. Do you know how to charge the current on it?
Sponsored