Jimmy3993

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S
Country flag
Curious to know how long it takes y’all to charge at home. I currently only have 110 and the car charges at a rate of about 1% per hour.
How much faster is 220?
How quickly are y’all able to charge?
Thx!
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Curious to know how long it takes y’all to charge at home. I currently only have 110 and the car charges at a rate of about 1% per hour.
How much faster is 220?
How quickly are y’all able to charge?
Thx!
A level 2 charger is many times faster and a requirement at home for owning a Taycan. This is a good chart to give you an idea of charging time depending on the level 2 charger you install. But anything 40 amps or more should get you a full charge overnight (8 hours) while my 16 amp charger nets about 50% in that amount of time.

A 110 outlet, or trickle charge, will only net 6-10% in the same amount of time.

Porsche Taycan Charging time w connect home charger @ 110 and 220 ClipperCreek

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
It's a difference of 2-3 MPH at 110 and 29-30 MPH at 220.

OP
OP

Jimmy3993

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S
Country flag
Oh perfect. So I can set it to run at night when our electrical usage is lower. Very good thx.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Yep. 220 (50A, 9.6kW) is, IMO, all most folks need for home charging. Plug-in in the evening and have the vehicle ready by morning.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Yep. 220 (50A, 9.6kW) is, IMO, all most folks need for home charging. Plug-in in the evening and have the vehicle ready by morning.
And in the US, I believe that 9.6 kW is all the Taycan will do. At least for the 2020 MY.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
North American Taycan’s maximum charge rate on AC power (L2) is 9.6 kW - if that were to change it would have to be a “hardwired” charger - not plug based - as there are NO existing plug types for residential building codes that support in excess of 50 amps.

there are J-1772 chargers (the NA charging standard) that support more than 40 amps - ClipperCreek makes several, and I have 100 amp (80 amp charge rate) charges installed in my home…

if the Taycan were able to support more than 40 amps - there are chargers that can provide that charge rate on the market, and install is easy and straight forward if you home’s main electrical panel can handle the load - but they would not be “mobile” chargers that could be unplugged and thrown in the car in a bag…and you’d be unlikely to encounter any “plugs” in the wild to support that charging rate.

40 amps (9.6 kW) is the practical limit in North America for mobile EV chargers (EVSE’s)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is charging time table for a Taycan by “breaker amps” - I’ve include two example charge times

Porsche Taycan Charging time w connect home charger @ 110 and 220 DE8B65D7-8641-4523-8DD1-3A2428A77CEA

NOTES:

left most column is “breaker amps” - this is the size of the breaker in your circuit panel
next column is “charging amps” - this is the number of amps available for charging for that size breaker - north american building codes require 80% load on devices with continuous load (EV chargers - EVSE’s) are continuous load devices, so they are only allowed to use 80% of breaker/wire’s rated capacity for safety reasons.

L1 charging time is hours @ 120 volts and XX AMPs
L2 charging time is hours @240 volts and XX AMPs

and I’ve included a sample of two different battery % charge
100% - this is if you were charging the taycan from 0% charge (very rare circumstance)
40% - this is if you were charging the taycan from 40% charge to 80% charge (heavy daily use)

40% charge use is at least 95 miles of driving with the Taycan - 95 miles is well beyond typical daily use for 99% of drivers…so 40% daily charge is pretty extreme - you’re daily use and charge % will likely be much less

worse case is L1@15 amps taking 59 hours to charge the battery to full
best case is L2@50 amps taking 3.54 hours to charge the battery from 40% to 80%

charge times are ideal in this table - I’d expect the actualy time to take 10-15% longer

I’ve modeled the Taycan as an 85 kWh battery for this table - 83.4 is porsches “published” usable capacity so the most kWh you should ever see put into a Taycan battery is 85 kWh or slightly less.

Last edited:

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
here is charging time table for a Taycan by “breaker amps” - I’ve include two example charge times

DE8B65D7-8641-4523-8DD1-3A2428A77CEA.jpeg

NOTES:

left most column is “breaker amps” - this is the size of the breaker in your circuit panel
next column is “charging amps” - this is the number of amps available for charging for that size breaker - north american building codes require 80% load on devices with continuous load (EV chargers - EVSE’s) are continuous load devices, so they are only allowed to use 80% of breaker/wire’s rated capacity for safety reasons.

L1 charging time is hours @ 120 volts and XX AMPs
L2 charging time is hours @240 volts and XX AMPs

and I’ve included a sample of two different battery % charge
100% - this is if you were charging the taycan from 0% charge (very rare circumstance)
40% - this is if you were charging the taycan from 40% charge to 80% charge (heavy daily use)

40% charge use is at least 95 miles of driving with the Taycan - 95 miles is well beyond typical daily use for 99% of drivers…so 40% daily charge is pretty extreme - you’re daily use and charge % will likely be much less

worse case is L1@15 amps taking 59 hours to charge the battery to full
best case is L2@50 amps taking 3.54 hours to charge the battery from 40% to 80%

charge times are ideal in this table - I’d expect the actualy time to take 10-15% longer

I’ve modeled the Taycan as an 85 kWh battery for this table - 83.4 is porsches “published” usable capacity so the most kWh you should ever see put into a Taycan battery is 85 kWh or slightly less.
For L1 charging using the 120v charge cord, please note that the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect limits the charging amps to 8A (you can go down to 6A if desired).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it’s also uncommon to find an L1 plug/circuit that is more than 30 amps (TT30 is the only plug I’m aware of that is 30 amp 120 volt) - the table is for calculation purposes of what would be possible at different volts/amps - but not all combinations are possible/common.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For L1 charging using the 120v charge cord, please note that the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect limits the charging amps to 8A (you can go down to 6A if desired).
That sort of thing is pretty common from the car makers. They're scared of people having older wiring or outlets that can't handle the heat from having 12A continuous.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Chevy Bold defaults to 8 amps on 120 volts - and you can override for 12 amps - the Bolt does not support charging at 16 amps on a 20 amp breaker (garage engine block heater plug) which is good for a 30% boost in charging watts - makes things go slightly faster and actually pretty good for an overnight "trickle" charge…
Sponsored