Grahamtaylor

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi I’ve recently changed electrical supplier to Octopus Energy in the UK and opted for an EV deal (Octopus Go) which offers a reduced KWh rate between 00:30 and 04:30.
I’m familiar with using profiles and timers on the Taycan (to ensure that I don’t exceed 85% charge on everyday use) but can’t get this to work !!
I’m unclear as to what the optimum method is to configure the car is in order to achieve 85% charge between 00:30 and 04:30, timer, profile or both?
I tried using a profile with ‘preferred charge times’ and an 85% ‘minimum charge level’ however the car simply started charging immediately to 85% and not waiting until 00:30. Does anyone have a view on how I’d achieve this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Charge normally to 85% and use the timer on the charger.
I found that if you use the timer on the car it always goes past 85%.

OP
OP

Grahamtaylor

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Charge normally to 85% and use the timer on the charger.
I found that if you use the timer on the car it always goes past 85%.
Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. I don’t use the Porsche Mobile Charge Connect as I have Pod-Point that charges at 7kw so ideally wanted to configure the car.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
For the first 9 months that I owned my car I used a Timer profile. I had it set to be charged to 85% everyday for a departure time at 4:30 am. When set this way it did not exceed 85% and usually started to charge late at night since it calculates the time required backwards from 4:30 am.

Here is a screen shot of the Timer profile.

Porsche Taycan Charging to 85% Regularly between 00:30 & 04:30 Screenshot_20210304-193357_Connect

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Hi I’ve recently changed electrical supplier to Octopus Energy in the UK and opted for an EV deal (Octopus Go) which offers a reduced KWh rate between 00:30 and 04:30.
I’m familiar with using profiles and timers on the Taycan (to ensure that I don’t exceed 85% charge on everyday use) but can’t get this to work !!
I’m unclear as to what the optimum method is to configure the car is in order to achieve 85% charge between 00:30 and 04:30, timer, profile or both?
I tried using a profile with ‘preferred charge times’ and an 85% ‘minimum charge level’ however the car simply started charging immediately to 85% and not waiting until 00:30. Does anyone have a view on how I’d achieve this?
The minimum charge is what you what it to charge to immediately as a minimum irrespective of times you may have entered. Just use the departure timer set to reach 85% at 04.30. I also set my home charger to only operate between 00.30 & 04.30.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Just be aware that if you're using the car alone to limit the charging times then you may find it either starts earlier than 00:30 or finishes later than 04:30 if you start with lower than 55% charge, since you can only charge around 30% in 4 hours at 7.6Kw. Probably not an issue if you charge every day and don't do huge miles.
Otherwise, you need to limit the charge times to a window using your home L2 charger. If it can't do that for some reason you can buy a discounted Ohme charger from Octopus that knows about Octopus tariffs.

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Also looking to sign up to the Octopus Go tariff.

I will have the standard Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (no digital screen). Will I be able to set timers on this one? If yes will it be through an App on my phone?

Have read through the pdf manual but can't seem to find any info in there with regards to this.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Don’t set minimum charge to 85% as that means you want the car to have a minimum of 85% charge before taking into account any profile or timer you have set (which is not what you want). So if you connect the charger to the car when it has 50% charge it will immediately start charging until 85% was reached regardless.

To achieve what you want use the Timer as (shown above) which works 100%. You can go further and pre-heat / cool the car if you want but sometimes better to programme this separately if you know you are going to use the car at a certain time (this uses the climate control in conjunction with heated seats to achieve the desired temperature).

I use a Profile (Location set to home address, Minimum Charge 25%, Preferred Charging Times (your off peak / cheap period) and a Timer (Days of week, Charge, 85%, no precool/heat)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
'
Also looking to sign up to the Octopus Go tariff.

I will have the standard Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (no digital screen). Will I be able to set timers on this one? If yes will it be through an App on my phone?

Have read through the pdf manual but can't seem to find any info in there with regards to this.
Yes of course you can do exactly the same.

Settings can be made in multiple locations:

1. Via PCM (Timers and Profiles)
  2. Via My Porsche web portal (via phone or tablet or computer, under E-Mobility Section)
  3. Porsche Connect App (phone)
  4. PMC+ (your charger) Web Portal (via phone or tablet or computer on your home network only, you need to connect your charger to your WiFi) but there will be a web interface for it to manage settings etc I imagine
Need to ensure car is contactable - sometimes it can go to sleep and you’ll find connectivity to it from any external option above will fail (its a feature unfortunately).

Assuming connectivity in place then easiest place to set this up is via Porsche Connect App.

Configuration via PCM is also simple.

Whatever timer and profile settings you make these will be visible and editable via any of the methods described above (same settings and info displayed in all tools). The car will also show what has been set on the lower central display when charging is operational or car powered off and access to the charging display is made.

Download the Porsche Good to Know App - this will keep you honest.

Bear in mind that ‘Privacy Mode’ must be left “disabled” for all of the above to function remotely (same as for all other Porsche Connect services you have subscribed to).

Last edited:

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Don't think this has been posted yet. Found a good video on setting up Profiles and timers to set up times of charge AND 85%.

Planning on setting up a "Home" Profile for 11:00PM -6:00AM (our current EV rate is US$ 0.0144 / KWH) followed by a Timer which will limit to 85%.

OP
OP

Grahamtaylor

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Don’t set minimum charge to 85% as that means you want the car to have a minimum of 85% charge before taking into account any profile or timer you have set (which is not what you want). So if you connect the charger to the car when it has 50% charge it will immediately start charging until 85% was reached regardless.

To achieve what you want use the Timer as (shown above) which works 100%. You can go further and pre-heat / cool the car if you want but sometimes better to programme this separately if you know you are going to use the car at a certain time (this uses the climate control in conjunction with heated seats to achieve the desired temperature).

I use a Profile (Location set to home address, Minimum Charge 25%, Preferred Charging Times (your off peak / cheap period) and a Timer (Days of week, Charge, 85%, no precool/heat)
Thanks for the advice. I’ve now set the car as follows:

- Location Based Profile at my home address - with a minimum charge level of 25%
- Preferred charging times 00:30 - 04:30

I’ve also set a time for:
- daily use at 09:00
- with a target charge level of 85%
- no precooling or heating

thank you so much for all the help !!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

- Location Based Profile at my home address - with a minimum charge level of 25%

Welcome!

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

The thing I dont get here is you want the charging to be done between 00.30 and 4.30 , but again you want the car to be ready at 09:00 . So it will charge to 85 % at 4:30 but only precool or heat the car right before 09:00 ? It will not do any charging between 4:30 and 9:00 ?

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
The thing I dont get here is you want the charging to be done between 00.30 and 4.30 , but again you want the car to be ready at 09:00 . So it will charge to 85 % at 4:30 but only precool or heat the car right before 09:00 ? It will not do any charging between 4:30 and 9:00 ?
It's because of much cheaper electricity rates between 00.30 & 04.30