Charging to 85% Regularly between 00:30 & 04:30

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Don’t set minimum charge to 85% as that means you want the car to have a minimum of 85% charge before taking into account any profile or timer you have set (which is not what you want). So if you connect the charger to the car when it has 50% charge it will immediately start charging until 85% was reached regardless.

To achieve what you want use the Timer as (shown above) which works 100%. You can go further and pre-heat / cool the car if you want but sometimes better to programme this separately if you know you are going to use the car at a certain time (this uses the climate control in conjunction with heated seats to achieve the desired temperature).

I use a Profile (Location set to home address, Minimum Charge 25%, Preferred Charging Times (your off peak / cheap period) and a Timer (Days of week, Charge, 85%, no precool/heat)
That’s the correct way to set it up and is also what I do.
Sponsored

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Thanks for the advice. I’ve now set the car as follows:

- Location Based Profile at my home address - with a minimum charge level of 25%
- Preferred charging times 00:30 - 04:30

I’ve also set a time for:
- daily use at 09:00
- with a target charge level of 85%
- no precooling or heating

thank you so much for all the help !!
Is this working for you and only charging between your chosen hours? I’ve given up trying to get the car set up to charge between 1230-0430 now as it kept ignoring the set times. I’m using the podpoint timer but the app integration is rubbish.

OP
OP

Grahamtaylor

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Is this working for you and only charging between your chosen hours? I’ve given up trying to get the car set up to charge between 1230-0430 now as it kept ignoring the set times. I’m using the podpoint timer but the app integration is rubbish.
In the end I set the timer on my pod-point (new feature). When I plug my charger into the Taycan It initially reports a ‘Charging Error’ but fundamentally at 00:30 it kicks in and charged as expected. I’m merely keeping the car topped up whenever required

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
On the assumption your only car is a Porsche?
True. Mixing and matching capabilities with chargers and vehicles may get tricky. Rather than use the feature of the charger then focus on using the car to manage the charging process.

The charger should be agnostic to the car (home charging) and likely have the same cable.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Abandon everything non Porsche. Use a timer and a profile. Simples.
I haven't tested this, but let's say you have this:
Profile set for 25% minimum charge (can't go lower) and preferred charging times 0:30 - 4:30
Timer set for departure time 4:30 and 85% target charge

What happens if you plug in at say 18:00 with 25% SOC. 4 hours is not enough time to fill up that 60%. The car will calculate that it needs to start charging before 0:30. However that's outside of the preferred charging times window. Will the car start charging early anyway to meet the target charge? Or will the preferred charging times window take priority?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I haven't tested this, but let's say you have this:
Profile set for 25% minimum charge (can't go lower) and preferred charging times 0:30 - 4:30
Timer set for departure time 4:30 and 85% target charge

What happens if you plug in at say 18:00 with 25% SOC. 4 hours is not enough time to fill up that 60%. The car will calculate that it needs to start charging before 0:30. However that's outside of the preferred charging times window. Will the car start charging early anyway to meet the target charge? Or will the preferred charging times window take priority?
No it won't step outside the boundaries you set. Typically for home charging you wouldn't start with an SOC of 25% in the knowledge that your charger can't hope to complete the target (note target) charge within the time available. At the end of the charging session you will receive an error on the Porsche Connect App signifying target charge couldn't be reached.

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
No it won't step outside the boundaries you set. Typically for home charging you wouldn't start with an SOC of 25% in the knowledge that your charger can't hope to complete the target (note target) charge within the time available. At the end of the charging session you will receive an error on the Porsche Connect App signifying target charge couldn't be reached.
Hi, this the problem I’ve had, as it WILL step out of the boundaries set. If it doesn’t think it will reach the required soc it starts charging early and ignores the times set in the profile.

Hence, I’ve given up and am just using the podpoint timer. It all worked fine just using a profile before my software update now it’s no good.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Try deleting the profile and re-adding it to reset the GPS coordinates. Recall profiles (other than the general profile) are GPS based. Alternatively, if when you arrive home you already notice your expected profile (with preferred times 0:30 - 4:30) is shown as active, you can skip this step and I'm at a loss what else to try.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Hi, this the problem I’ve had, as it WILL step out of the boundaries set. If it doesn’t think it will reach the required soc it starts charging early and ignores the times set in the profile.

Hence, I’ve given up and am just using the podpoint timer. It all worked fine just using a profile before my software update now it’s no good.
That sucks. I would want it to charge as much as it can during the times (window) I set and that’s it.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think everyone will agree, the PCA sucks. I have good luck charging how i want using
profiles and timers after much experimenting. I switch around depending on days and needs.
It is unclear to me what happens if you have multiple profiles selected? Timers
are obviously ok since you specify the days.

This should be on a single screen and much more intuitive.
I have noticed that I configure it to charge 12:15am until 6am, %80, departure 6:00am.
If it doesn't need all that time it waits and doesn't start charging
until it needs to and bumps up against the departure time. Personally I wish it would
start charging at 12:15am and END early, just in case I need to leave earlier than
planned. No idea why it has this odd reverse of what I believe most people would prefer.
It can always start just before departure time to do the preheat/cool (I don't use, garaged
and live in San Diego...)

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I think everyone will agree, the PCA sucks. I have good luck charging how i want using
profiles and timers after much experimenting. I switch around depending on days and needs.
It is unclear to me what happens if you have multiple profiles selected? Timers
are obviously ok since you specify the days.

This should be on a single screen and much more intuitive.
I have noticed that I configure it to charge 12:15am until 6am, %80, departure 6:00am.
If it doesn't need all that time it waits and doesn't start charging
until it needs to and bumps up against the departure time. Personally I wish it would
start charging at 12:15am and END early, just in case I need to leave earlier than
planned. No idea why it has this odd reverse of what I believe most people would prefer.
It can always start just before departure time to do the preheat/cool (I don't use, garaged
and live in San Diego...)
Charging heats the pack. The ‘ideal’ is to finish charging right before you leave so the car doesn’t have to expend as much energy to heat the pack in the winter. There is some logic to it.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
My solution is to change the charging algorithm to also take into account air temperature and
the upcoming weather report. My sprinkler controller does that.

I guess one fact is I never actually leave at my "departure time", I just use that to shut it off
charging when my really cheap electricity is finished. So conditioning the battery would not
work, neither does pre-heat/cool for me. I'm not saying the car shouldn't have those features.
I understand many people use their schedules differently. Germany has real weather, San Diego
does not :cool:
Sponsored