LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I learned something today that I thought I would share.

Some quick background: I'm scheduled to pick up my Taycan at PEC Atlanta on September 3rd, and three days later my plan is to drive it ~500 miles to visit family so I'm doing all I can to get as much accomplished before delivery as possible. This included having the car RDR to me by the dealer so that I could set up my Porsche ID, the Connect app, enable the three-years of Electrify America charging, and installing the Charging NA app.

So today my wife and I were driving around in her BMW i3, which also has CCS DC Fast Charging capability, and we were driving past an Electrify America station. I thought I would pull in and make sure I knew how to use the Charging NA app before my road trip. I figured the i3 could be a stand-in stunt car for the Taycan for this test. The station is empty; all four CCS bays were available, so I pulled up to the first, plugged in, went to the Charging NA app, pressed the button to start charging, and... an error appears on the charger. Something like "Error Code 64" and "Could not initiate charging". I've been reading these forums long enough to know not to be surprised that the first attempt doesn't always work, so I unplugged, re-plugged and tried again. Same result. I moved to a different charger, same result; a third charger, same result. So I called EA. Super nice guy, very helpful. When I explained what I was doing however he let me know that the chargers can detect the vehicle type it is connected to (I didn't know CCS did that during the handshake) and since it wasn't a Taycan, the Charging NA app would not work. He said I could use the Electrify America app, but that wasn't the point of the test, and I didn't *need* a charge - or the expense- so I just thanked him and called it a day.

So there you have it: Your 'free EA charging' can't be easily shared with your non-Taycan friends and neighbors, or the other CCS-compatible vehicles in your garage!

Brent
Sponsored

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Curious. That might be a very recent change. I’m not saying that I’ve charged my Mini EV... because that would be wrong. Right?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
EA and VAG are using ISO 15118 to enable Plug & Charge on CCS. Likely they're turning up the capability slowly, depending on equipment. Hopefully it will eventually work with 2020 Taycans, as it's a feature of the 2021's.
Sponsored