Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
I’m going away for a few days this week, and the place I’m staying has no external power supply (and no EV charging capacity). I was planning on taking the Porsche Mobile charger and connecting it via a three pin plug to the house socket using a domestic extension lead. Is this a huge no-no?
Sponsored

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
I’m going away for a few days this week, and the place I’m staying has no external power supply (and no EV charging capacity). I was planning on taking the Porsche Mobile charger and connecting it via a three pin plug to the house socket using a domestic extension lead. Is this a huge no-no?
I think there is something in the Manual on this. You might wish to check. I’m not qualified on electrics, but I think the cord must be of a certain size to handle the amperage without danger of fire. There may also be an issue, even with a proper extension cord, with too large a draw on the mains. I think the PCM may allow you, in Profiles, to limit the draw, when charging, to a certain amperage, but, again, I am not certain about this capability. Ask an electrician? Steve

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
no problem, just be certain to use a heavy duty low gauge extension cord

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
I've done this several times with great success (including a trip up to Norfolk) which allowed me to charge up at home, drive to the destination, trickle charge it up over the weekend at the pub i was staying at, drive around locally, then make it back to the ionity at cambridge.

Make sure you put the connect charger onto 10A mode so it charges at about 2kw (also made that mistake and only charged at 1kw!)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It's not recommended to use an extension lead (observe your warranty & safety - without being paranoid).

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
It's not recommended to use an extension lead (observe your warranty & safety - without being paranoid).
where did this info come from? I've used extension cords on 110 lines quite often in the early days. Like I said the only thing that is important that the cord is a heavy duty cord, not the normal household cord.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
be aware that the Porsche Charger REALLY will not let you plug into an 3 prong BUT ungrounded circuit (by experience!)...(I had to switch to another circuit at a friend's cabin - a circuit that was actually grounded as opposed to looking like it was grounded)
Sponsored