Charging your Taycan at an Electrify America Station

Ormond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
How to Charge Your Porsche Taycan at One of Electrify America's Charging Stations!!
Pcarwhisperer

Sponsored

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for posting @Ormond, I did find this video useful although I believe and hope he is quite incorrect in the statement that you need the 150 KW DC-DC converter to exploit the 150 KW Electrify America stations. I had posted at the beginning of the year that it was not necessary and I still believe that to be true. I have a photo of a station in San Jose which is the BTC Power unit that I see in a dozen Electrify America locations in California as it is a California made charger. The brass tag clearly shows that it's output is 200 volts to 950 volts DC. Picture below, I am hoping someone with a Taycan can try one of these 150 kilowatt stations and get a screenshot that shows the voltage and amperage. Especially if someone does not have the upgraded DC-DC converter. I'm still a month out for my vehicle.

Porsche Taycan Charging your Taycan at an Electrify America Station IMG_20200223_105805 - Copy

I'm sure @daveo4EV can give a definitive answer for voltage from the California EA stations at least. EA does use 4 brands of chargers across the United States so it would be near impossible to make a blanket statement, though I believe that EA was always focused on 800 volts as that is what would be exploited by both Porsche and Audi in the relative short-term.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@ron_b I’ve not found any display in the Taycan or on the EA stations showing volts/amps…but I might blind.

I fully expect there to be no limit to charge rate for 800 volt stations - as you correctly indicate you only need the upgraded 150 kW DC charger for some subset of 400V chargers that are more than 50 kW…it’s not clear to me what network is rolling those out

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
that video is flat out wrong - _ANY_ taycan can charge at 150 kW at an EA station - since they are all 800V architectures - the EA stations are 200-900V to support NON 800V EV’s (like the eTron or Chevy Bolt).

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
that video is flat out wrong - _ANY_ taycan can charge at 150 kW at an EA station - since they are all 800V architectures - the EA stations are 200-900V to support NON 800V EV’s (like the eTron or Chevy Bolt).
Exactly what I posted in youtube comments on the video. Other info was nott bad.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@ron_b I’ve not found any display in the Taycan or on the EA stations showing volts/amps…but I might blind.

I fully expect there to be no limit to charge rate for 800 volt stations - as you correctly indicate you only need the upgraded 150 kW DC charger for some subset of 400V chargers that are more than 50 kW…it’s not clear to me what network is rolling those out
Sigh, I guess I watched too many European videos showing Ionity Chargers which give a great amount of detail. Waiting for an OBD-II app for the Taycan I guess. Hoping folks can post the codes to use with Torque Pro. :cool:
Sponsored