ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A nice video demonstrating the starting and stopping of a charge session in North America using the Charging NA App.
Also checkout the lovely Champion wheels.

Porsche Taycan Charging Your Taycan Demonstration Using Porsche Connect App Screenshot_20200424-142647
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
DC fast charge port is on the right?.........but AC can be on either side?
Correct AC both sides, DC on the passenger side in the US. To use the DC port you open the charging door, then there is a flap that you flip down that covers the additional part of the receptacle for the DC plug/cable. The Taycan uses a CCS DC connector not the CHAdeMO DC connector which is more common on Japanese cars. This is all a learning experience for me too (my first EV).

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Isn't the app currently only available on iOS? So what's the role of the app in charging here, or were they just showing off that you *could* use the app for some undescribed purpose? I'm confused.
And why raise the suspension? That video is pretty short on information :confused:

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Isn't the app currently only available on iOS? So what's the role of the app in charging here, or were they just showing off that you *could* use the app for some undescribed purpose? I'm confused.
And why raise the suspension? That video is pretty short on information :confused:
The Charging NA a app is available for both IOS and Android. I know I have it downloaded on my Android phone but since I don't own a tie can yet it's not fully functional. The app seems to be limited to only show Electrify America stations in the United States even though it alludes to showing others. But it's Electrify America that is available for 3 years of free charging in 30 minute sessions. Also you get a special rate for charging beyond 30 minutes so you definitely want to be using the Charging NA a app when you need to fast charge. you do not need that app for charging at home at all.

If you configure your Porsche charger with your Porsche ID then you will be able to access and monitor it using the Porsche Connect app but it That is optional.

Hope this helps some.

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Aha, so the app was to access the paid charger. That makes sense. They didn't make that clear in the video, but very little was actually made clear in that video ;)

Edit: I also notice they spelled recommended incorrectly :D

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thinking about it a bit, raising the suspension might be to avoid hitting the wheel stops with the undercarriage. I remember this being an issue for Teslas. Hopefully the Taycan doesn't settle the suspension down when you put it in park, like the tesla, thus latching on hard to those wheel stops.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thinking about it a bit, raising the suspension might be to avoid hitting the wheel stops with the undercarriage. I remember this being an issue for Teslas. Hopefully the Taycan doesn't settle the suspension down when you put it in park, like the tesla, thus latching on hard to those wheel stops.
Two nights ago I decided to try the Charging NA app at an Electrify America location. I have the app on an Android device. When I arrived at the charger, I had to raise the suspension to get the front lip over the wheel stops in front of the charger. Although I cleared the front lip on the car, the wheel stop did brush one of the sacrificial plastic undercarriage guards on the Taycan. The suspension did not lower when I put the car in Park. As @louv mentioned during his journey, it might be better to park sideways to get closer to the cable. There were 8 stations and I was the only one there so I could have done that without preventing others from charging.

I plugged into a 350 kWh charger. The app was pretty intuitive to choose the charger station ID, swipe to start and then I heard the EA charger make its noises and the green button on the Taycan charging port lit up. When you set up the Charging NA app, you will see a subscription date that is a year from when your Taycan was activated for the various services. The app says the subscription will renew automatically. I mention this in case you are wondering why it doesn’t load with the 3 year free charging period.

I arrived at the EA charger with 16% state of charge (SOC). Although I was plugged into a 350 kWh station, the SOC and battery temp were not optimal, so the peak rate was about 175 kWh and the lowest rate during the session was about 99 kWh. The Charging NA app tracks how long you are connected to the charger. I wanted to see how much I could charge the battery without exceeding the free 30 minute session. I stopped the session at 29 minutes by pressing the green charging button on the Taycan‘s charging port. I was pretty happy that despite the lower charging rate I finished with a 83% SOC.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Two nights ago I decided to try the Charging NA app at an Electrify America location. I have the app on an Android device. When I arrived at the charger, I had to raise the suspension to get the front lip over the wheel stops in front of the charger. Although I cleared the front lip on the car, the wheel stop did brush one of the sacrificial plastic undercarriage guards on the Taycan. The suspension did not lower when I put the car in Park. As @louv mentioned during his journey, it might be better to park sideways to get closer to the cable. There were 8 stations and I was the only one there so I could have done that without preventing others from charging.

I plugged into a 350 kWh charger. The app was pretty intuitive to choose the charger station ID, swipe to start and then I heard the EA charger make its noises and the green button on the Taycan charging port lit up. When you set up the Charging NA app, you will see a subscription date that is a year from when your Taycan was activated for the various services. The app says the subscription will renew automatically. I mention this in case you are wondering why it doesn’t load with the 3 year free charging period.

I arrived at the EA charger with 16% state of charge (SOC). Although I was plugged into a 350 kWh station, the SOC and battery temp were not optimal, so the peak rate was about 175 kWh and the lowest rate during the session was about 99 kWh. The Charging NA app tracks how long you are connected to the charger. I wanted to see how much I could charge the battery without exceeding the free 30 minute session. I stopped the session at 29 minutes by pressing the green charging button on the Taycan‘s charging port. I was pretty happy that despite the lower charging rate I finished with a 83% SOC.
Great info, would love to hear from others, so I can get all the info when I pick mine up for a long trip, I was planning to put the EA chargers as the destination and thought that would make the battery heat up upon destination. I will only be using EA chargers, or is there a better manual process I should try?

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
wemct,
What charging mode was the Taycan set up in prior to charging? Direct ?

Thanks,
Rob

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
wemct,
What charging mode was the Taycan set up in prior to charging? Direct ?

Thanks,
Rob
Rob, I currently do not use a home charger so I do not have any profiles set up with the timers, etc. When I have used the public AC and DC chargers, I have tried different methods to precondition ahead of time as well as enabling the Direct Charge mode. On other occasions the SOC has been too low to precondition and/or I have not hit the Direct Charge mode in the car or on the app. Even without setting it on Direct Charge, I have discovered that the car automatically switches to direct charge mode as soon as the public charging cable is plugged in.

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anybody had any trouble setting up the Charging America app? I have a subscription (free) and am logged in to my account. My Porsche and Porsche Connect both recognize my vehicle, but the Charging America app does not. In fact it seems like there is no vehicle associated with my account and the button to configure the vehicle does not work. The app also does not, in my case, seem to communicate with the chargers.

Support is trying to help but this is clearly new to them too. So far, I have been told to delete my Electrify America account and app, and to delete and reinstall the Charging America app.

Anybody with similar problems solved this ?
Porsche Taycan Charging Your Taycan Demonstration Using Porsche Connect App 1797D48D-482A-4FF0-B830-0833046D52C7
Porsche Taycan Charging Your Taycan Demonstration Using Porsche Connect App FD1198B5-3C1F-4DB5-98DD-65F5F27F1E95

K-S

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911-992
Country flag
Has anybody had any trouble setting up the Charging America app? I have a subscription (free) and am logged in to my account. My Porsche and Porsche Connect both recognize my vehicle, but the Charging America app does not. In fact it seems like there is no vehicle associated with my account and the button to configure the vehicle does not work. The app also does not, in my case, seem to communicate with the chargers.

Support is trying to help but this is clearly new to them too. So far, I have been told to delete my Electrify America account and app, and to delete and reinstall the Charging America app.

Anybody with similar problems solved this ?
1797D48D-482A-4FF0-B830-0833046D52C7.jpeg
FD1198B5-3C1F-4DB5-98DD-65F5F27F1E95.jpeg

[I had the same problem initially, Charging is now integrated into the Porsche Connect App. Go to explore, then top left turn on show Estations via the lightening symbol. When you get to an EA site open the location on the map, plug in and start the charger as above. It knows its a Taycan and the first 30 minutes are free. if it fails, sometimes it does, plug into another station]

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@K-S , !

That was very helpful. After being unable to find the lightning bolt, I removed and reinstalled Connect as well. Looks like we are back in business.

Funny, today while I was fiddling around with the charger and talking to tech support, a photographer contracting with EA came out to take photos of this charging location.

My 4S is going to be famous!

Porsche Taycan Charging Your Taycan Demonstration Using Porsche Connect App 0DE2D020-9764-49F2-8CC2-0852A97DDF4F
Sponsored