whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I’m in TX and I run lowered (not lowest) all the time. I do have to switch to Gravel or Raised mode at some entrance and exits to parking lots because some of them are a bit steep for seemingly no good reason.
Isn't that annoying (both to you and drivers behinds you)? I recently timed my car raising suspension, and it takes a few seconds from Normal to the max, and the car does it in 2 stages/steps.
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Isn't that annoying (both to you and drivers behinds you)? I recently timed my car raising suspension, and it takes a few seconds from Normal to the max, and the car does it in 2 stages/steps.
Not at all. I am aware of the possibility of needing to raise the car so I watch for it when I'm entering or leaving a parking lot and it does not slow down my normal pace. It's quite easy to plan for. In the off chance that I see something way too late, I'm happy to annoy the driver behind me for the 2 or 3 seconds it takes to save myself a massive problem with my vehicle (have not had this situation yet).

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Perhaps (or perhaps not) this is a good forum for the question of ...
... in other threads I've read that driving in lowered settings can affect the alignment such that the inner rear treads wear down absurdly quickly.
But is the "Lowered" setting probably okay and hence only the extended use of the "Low" setting is the culprit?
(Bonus q: why aren't the settings named something like Highest, Higher, Medium, Lower, Lowest?)

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Perhaps (or perhaps not) this is a good forum for the question of ...
... in other threads I've read that driving in lowered settings can affect the alignment such that the inner rear treads wear down absurdly quickly.
But is the "Lowered" setting probably okay and hence only the extended use of the "Low" setting is the culprit?
(Bonus q: why aren't the settings named something like Highest, Higher, Medium, Lower, Lowest?)
You have more negative camber the lower you go starting from around -1.8deg in regular height to around -2.5 at the lowest. Inside edge wear will still occur in regular mode, higher in lowered mode, and highest in low mode.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/check-your-tires.8611/post-179624

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks -- I've pondered your admirably detailed chart before, but I'm still confused as to the ultimate repercussions ... specifically, if I have a CT with 20" Michelin CC2 tires, does a lot of driving in Lowered mean that I'm risking highly uneven wear that will dramatically shorten the tread life?
(I usually discard tires anyway long before any official depth recs given that I place a high priority on winter traction, but some of the posts on uneven wear is scary!)

mocsman

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
Thanks -- I've pondered your admirably detailed chart before, but I'm still confused as to the ultimate repercussions ... specifically, if I have a CT with 20" Michelin CC2 tires, does a lot of driving in Lowered mean that I'm risking highly uneven wear that will dramatically shorten the tread life?
(I usually discard tires anyway long before any official depth recs given that I place a high priority on winter traction, but some of the posts on uneven wear is scary!)
I drive almost exclusively in the lowest height and had my rear tires tear on the sidewall at 17k and had to replace them. I plan to switch to driving at standard height from now on to see of it prolongs the tires.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
^ That's exactly my concern. Most of my miles so far have been in "Lowered" (yet not "Low"). I'm planning to start experimenting more with "Regular" yet always using the Sport Plus suspension setting. (So many possible combos -- and the Taycan drives so well even in just Regular for both height and suspension!)

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
@Jonathan S. I’m in lowered almost exclusively and I get about 10k on the front and 15k on the rears before the inner edge blocks are nearly worn smooth. I will flip the tires at that point, inside to outside, and get another 10-15k miles before the other edge is worn down. My car is lowered a bit compared to stock but I’ve also corrected the rear camber back to about stock so I suspect you’ll see inner edge wear around 15k front and rear if you’re also driving in lowered most of the time. I got about the same mileage out of the edges on both the pirelli p7blue summers as I’m getting with conti pro contact rx all seasons. The contis started with more tread depth though so the center tread seems to be fairing better. You’re in a colder and wetter climate too so that might offset the fact that the cc2 have more tread void in the outer edges.
Sponsored