Chassis height in different modes - it should be simple but it's not?

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I need a little hand/help

I'm trying to get familiar with my new Taycan and despite having studied ad nauseum most features over the months I was waiting for delivery, 'hands on practice' has started to yield new questions which never occurred to me while reading the "theory".

One of those things is the chassis level setting.

Things that surprised me:

1 - I exited the vehicle in normal height. Wanted to take a pic but noticed the car was sitting high so I opened the driver's door, rotated the sport chrono button on the steering wheel to range mode (which should put the car to it's lowest) but nothing happened. Later on I've read in the forum (or maybe manual, I can't remember) that chassis won't change level while door is open. Confused. It makes sense though.

2 - a few months ago I read that individual mode is great as it remembers settings including auto recup and sport sound (less buttons to push / assign). Great.
Yesterday however I noticed that if you're driving in individual mode (setting based on sport, all other settings normal) then it will not lower the car automatically on highway speeds. It will do so in normal mode though.

3 - chassis height settings are retained through power cycling. Makes sense if you park the car on a kerb or something. You don't want it to lower when you get back into the car. What would happen with range mode though for example? Would it just keep normal chassis height? That kind of defeates the purpose of range mode (haven't tried this mode yet) no? Or can't you raise the chassis while in that mode anyway?

4 - manual and most forum posts regarding chassis lifting before a speed bump just say to press the button and optionally geofence the action so it does it automatically. In my case, I only used lift on two occasions so far but in both moments the car took some time to lift. Several seconds the lift icon on dashboard was blinking. I assume it's not a fast process then? I feel like a grandma reaching a speed bump almost stopping while the car lifts the chassis to give the necessary clearance.

How do you guys/gals do all this?

Thank you
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The car lifts enough very quickly, the light just keeps blinking. I hit the button, give it 1-2 seconds, then go. Never had a scrape. And I have to use it every time I go in or out of my driveway or I’d scrape.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I need a little hand/help

I'm trying to get familiar with my new Taycan and despite having studied ad nauseum most features over the months I was waiting for delivery, 'hands on practice' has started to yield new questions which never occurred to me while reading the "theory".

One of those things is the chassis level setting.

Things that surprised me:

1 - I exited the vehicle in normal height. Wanted to take a pic but noticed the car was sitting high so I opened the driver's door, rotated the sport chrono button on the steering wheel to range mode (which should put the car to it's lowest) but nothing happened. Later on I've read in the forum (or maybe manual, I can't remember) that chassis won't change level while door is open. Confused. It makes sense though.

2 - a few months ago I read that individual mode is great as it remembers settings including auto recup and sport sound (less buttons to push / assign). Great.
Yesterday however I noticed that if you're driving in individual mode (setting based on sport, all other settings normal) then it will not lower the car automatically on highway speeds. It will do so in normal mode though.

3 - chassis height settings are retained through power cycling. Makes sense if you park the car on a kerb or something. You don't want it to lower when you get back into the car. What would happen with range mode though for example? Would it just keep normal chassis height? That kind of defeates the purpose of range mode (haven't tried this mode yet) no? Or can't you raise the chassis while in that mode anyway?

4 - manual and most forum posts regarding chassis lifting before a speed bump just say to press the button and optionally geofence the action so it does it automatically. In my case, I only used lift on two occasions so far but in both moments the car took some time to lift. Several seconds the lift icon on dashboard was blinking. I assume it's not a fast process then? I feel like a grandma reaching a speed bump almost stopping while the car lifts the chassis to give the necessary clearance.

How do you guys/gals do all this?

Thank you
1. Car will only adjust height when stationary with doors closed - safety reasons.

2.. Obviously this is expected behaviour as Individual Drive Mode overrides pre-programmed behaviour of the other drive modes. There would be no point otherwise.

3. Drive mode is always Normal after power off and on therefore if you were in Range Mode then pulled up, parked, powered off, powered back on then you would be in Normal Drive mode again.

4. SmartLift is quick to react once a location has been programmed. If you approach too quickly then there will be a delay as NAV had to catch up with your location before SmartLift can then do its thing. The trick is to program the lift slightly before you need it, approach slowly and the magic happens. It works well IMHO

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Indeed doors need to be closed or nothing happens. Also make dure lift is not activated at parking spot.

perski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S, CT4
Country flag
I do notice that the ride height often will not rise when going from range to normal, at least the dash icon does not change. I then have to cycle through sport for it to reset.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for all replies so far

Indeed doors need to be closed or nothing happens. Also make dure lift is not activated at parking spot.
You mean in memory? Would that stop the car from lowering?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thank you for all replies so far

You mean in memory? Would that stop the car from lowering?
Cars left in a raised position will potentially lower over time when left for a long period of time. The risk is that you park over a kerb with the vehicle raised and leave it for a few weeks. On your return the car may have lowered and now be resting on the kerb.

This and more information is documented in the Owner's Manual.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
2.. Obviously this is expected behaviour as Individual Drive Mode overrides pre-programmed behaviour of the other drive modes. There would be no point otherwise.
I just had an epifany. Maybe.

What if I base individual mode on the "normal" mode instead of the "sport" mode? I mean... I do have it set at normal ride height, normal suspension, normal everything else. Basically I just selected based on "sport" because of that different shift into 2nd gear. It kicks in sport mode, not so in normal mode.

Have to try this. Noticed today that car will auto lower whenever I cross 90km/h which is like... All the time 😂

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

What if I base individual mode on the "normal" mode instead of the "sport" mode? I mean... I do have it set at normal ride height, normal suspension, normal everything else. Basically I just selected based on "sport" because of that different shift into 2nd gear. It kicks in sport mode, not so in normal mode.

Have to try this. Noticed today that car will auto lower whenever I cross 90km/h which is like... All the time 😂
Flooring the throttle at low speeds in Normal will drop a gear too.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

It works. Just tested it. So if you base your individual mode on 'normal' it will retain the auto lowering feature. Perfect 👌

Now figuring out what each mode has as "distinctive" besides the usual chassis level and suspension
Sponsored