daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
compose a forum post posing a new electric car owner asking for assistance in setting up home charging
Hello fellow electric car owners!

I am a new electric car owner and I am having some trouble setting up home charging for my vehicle. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on the best way to go about this?

I have heard that it is best to have a dedicated circuit installed for the charger, but I am not sure if that is necessary in my situation. I have also seen some portable charging options that seem convenient, but I am not sure if they are as effective as a hardwired charging station.

Any guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help.
yeah I can't tell the difference between this an a real human - this is not going to be fun.
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yeah I can't tell the difference between this an a real human - this is not going to be fun.
it answered it own's question:

I can provide general information about setting up home charging for an electric vehicle.

To set up home charging for an electric vehicle, you will need a few things:

1. A charging station: There are many options available on the market, ranging from simple, portable chargers to more permanent, wall-mounted units. It's important to choose a charger that is compatible with your vehicle and meets your charging needs.
  2. An electrical panel upgrade: Depending on the type of charger you choose, you may need to upgrade your home's electrical panel to support the increased power demand.
  3. An electrician: It is recommended to have a professional electrician install your charging station to ensure it is properly set up and meets local electrical codes.
  4. A permit: In some areas, you may need to obtain a permit for the installation of a home charging station.
Once you have all of these things in place, you should be able to charge your electric vehicle at home with ease. It's a good idea to consult with a professional electrician and/or the manufacturer of your vehicle for specific recommendations and guidelines.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Someone did one of these for spec’ing a 992 on RL. It was pretty good.

Excerpt:
Exterior color: GT Silver Metallic, because it's the color of stealth (and also because it'll make your car blend in with all the other silver 911s at the track).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
it answered it own's question:
Now change the directive slightly to answer it “… in a style of daveo4EV”. Unless of course it will come back at you in the voice of HAL “I’m afraid I can’t do that Dave”. ;)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
damm…

is daveo4ev an expert on electric vehicle charging?

I'm sorry, but I don't have any information about Daveo4ev or their expertise in electric vehicle charging. Is there something specific you'd like to know about electric vehicle charging? I'll do my best to help!

Porsche Taycan Chatbot GPT - hmmm I'm going to have to give up the forums {filename}

what is a summary of all the posts by daveo4ev in the taycan forums

I'm sorry, but I don't have access to any information about specific users or their posts in forums. Is there something else I can help you with? I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about electric vehicles or charging!

Porsche Taycan Chatbot GPT - hmmm I'm going to have to give up the forums {filename}

who is daveo4ev

I'm sorry, but I don't have any information about Daveo4ev. Is there something else I can help you with? I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about electric vehicles or charging!

what is the maximum l2 charging speed of a 2020 Porsche Taycan

The maximum Level 2 (240V) charging speed for a 2020 Porsche Taycan depends on the specific model and trim level. The Taycan 4S can charge at up to 11 kW, while the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S can charge at up to 22 kW. This means that the 4S can add approximately 30-35 miles of range per hour of charging, while the Turbo and Turbo S can add approximately 60-70 miles of range per hour of charging. These estimates are based on a fully depleted battery and may vary based on a variety of factors including the age and condition of the battery, the ambient temperature, and the charging station being used.

should I get the 400V/150 kW charging option for a Taycan

The 400V/150 kW charging option for the Porsche Taycan allows you to charge your vehicle at high speeds using a direct current (DC) fast charger. Whether or not this option is right for you will depend on your specific needs and circumstances. Here are a few things to consider:
  • Availability of high-speed charging stations: To take advantage of the 400V/150 kW charging option, you'll need to have access to a DC fast charger that is capable of delivering at least 150 kW of power. These chargers are not as widely available as Level 2 (240V) chargers, so you'll want to consider whether there are enough high-speed charging stations in your area to meet your needs.
  • Cost: High-speed charging stations can be more expensive to use than Level 2 chargers, so you'll want to factor this into your decision. If you expect to do a lot of long distance driving and plan to rely heavily on high-speed charging, the additional cost may be worth it. However, if you mostly drive short distances and are able to charge at home or work using a Level 2 charger, the 400V/150 kW option may not be necessary.
  • Vehicle range: The 400V/150 kW charging option is only available on the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S, which have the longest range of any Taycan model. If you have a different model with a shorter range, you may not need the extra charging speed that the 400V/150 kW option provides.
Ultimately, whether or not the 400V/150 kW charging option is right for you will depend on your specific driving needs and habits. I recommend considering the availability of high-speed charging stations in your area, the cost of charging, and your vehicle's range to help you make the best decision. If you have any other questions or need more information, don't hesitate to ask!

I consider your answer incorrect - the 400V/150 kW option is available on all Taycan's is not limited to the Turbo/TurboS models, it also has nothing to do with battery size

I apologize for the error in my previous response. You are correct that the 400V/150 kW charging option is available on all Porsche Taycan models, and it has nothing to do with the size of the battery. The 400V/150 kW charging option allows the Taycan to charge at high speeds using a direct current (DC) fast charger, and it is available on all models regardless of trim level. I apologize for any confusion my previous response may have caused. If you have any other questions or need more information, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help!

what DCFast Chargers in North America are 400V chargers

There are several direct current (DC) fast charging networks in North America that offer 400V charging stations, including:
  • Electrify America: Electrify America operates a network of DC fast chargers throughout the United States and Canada. All of their chargers are 400V and are capable of delivering power levels up to 350 kW.
  • Tesla Superchargers: Tesla Superchargers are a network of DC fast chargers that are exclusively for use by Tesla vehicles. All of their chargers are 400V and are capable of delivering power levels up to 250 kW.
  • ChargePoint: ChargePoint operates a network of DC fast chargers throughout the United States and Canada. All of their chargers are 400V and are capable of delivering power levels up to 350 kW.
  • Greenlots: Greenlots operates a network of DC fast chargers in the United States. All of their chargers are 400V and are capable of delivering power levels up to 350 kW.
These are just a few examples of the DC fast charging networks that offer 400V charging stations in North America. There are many other networks and individual charging stations that also offer 400V charging, so it's worth doing some research to find the options that are available in your area. If you have any other questions or need more information, please don't hesitate to ask! I'm here to help.

again your answer is incorrect - most if not all DCFast chargers in North American are 800 volts or more - but are compatible with 400V electric vehicles. There are howevers some chargers that are only 400V chargers, and my question was what DCfast chargers are only 400V chargers. Can you answer that?

I apologize for the misunderstanding. You are correct that most DC fast chargers in North America are 800V or more, and are compatible with 400V electric vehicles. There are, however, a few DC fast chargers that are only 400V and are not compatible with 800V electric vehicles. Here are a few examples of DC fast chargers that are only 400V:
  • EVgo Freedom Stations: EVgo operates a network of DC fast chargers in the United States called Freedom Stations. Some of these chargers are only 400V and are not compatible with 800V electric vehicles.
  • Blink DC Fast Chargers: Blink operates a network of DC fast chargers in the United States. Some of these chargers are only 400V and are not compatible with 800V electric vehicles.
  • Aerovironment EV Quick Charger: Aerovironment manufactures a line of DC fast chargers called EV Quick Chargers, which are only 400V and are not compatible with 800V electric vehicles.
These are just a few examples of 400V DC fast chargers that are available in North America. I apologize for any confusion my previous responses may have caused. If you have any other questions or need more information, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help.

Regenerate response

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I asked it to analyze my "over the top" EV charging post

It seems that the text you provided is discussing electric vehicle (EV) charging stations and their various levels of capabilities. The author appears to be expressing dissatisfaction with Porsche's EV charging stations (PMC+/PMCC/PWCC) for use in North America, stating that there are more affordable, reliable, and compatible alternatives available. The text also mentions NEMA sockets and different levels of charging station capabilities, with the recommendation for most people being level 5. It is also mentioned that Porsche no longer recommends using Level 1 (NEMA 5-15) or 120V charging for daily use. Finally, the text provides a list of different levels of EV charging station setup, ranging from relying solely on public charging infrastructure (level 0) to having a high-capacity charging station (level 7).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
On a serious node, I hear you can direct ChatGPT to use someone's style. While it doesn't know your style, it would probably work for Elon Musk, Mark Twain, Donald Trump, etc. Elon's would probably be the shortest "Install Tesla Wall Charger at home".

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
remember the original skynet (25 + years ago) building was in Fremont, pretty close to the Tesla Factory.
Yes, and WOPR was located at Protovision headquarters just down the road in Sunnyvale. Coincidence?

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Did you know you can ask Chat GPT to write a poem in any language you want?

Also Chat GPT 3.5 is based on (i think if i remeber correctly) 150 billion datapoints.

When ChatGTP 4.0 comes out it will have a dataset of 5 trillion datapoints. You will be able to tell its not human because it will be smarter than a human. lol

Good luck everybody!