daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hi all, been following this issue for some time. This seems to be the most updated thread. So Porsche has not yet identified the problem/come out with a solution?

I do not own a Taycan but just received my e-tron GT. Some owners on the e-tron forums have been experiencing similar 12v drain issues rendering the car a brick. In our case, it is even worse, as there does not seem to be any way to manually open the frunk to allow access to the 12v charging posts (the frunk release lever requires power!)

At least on the Taycan you can get to those charge posts with the 12v being dead.
so far my 12V issue has not recurred post software update - any 12V problems remaining are far less frequent (not that the previous one was really frequent) and may not be 12V issues at all - many many people mis-diagnose what problem they are experiencing

to date I'm not aware of any current/frequent 12V issues related to the vehicle 12V dying while it's plugged into charge…
Sponsored

Drew Webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 GT2, Tesla Model X, Maserati Quattroporte
Country flag
What’s the expression ? “Misery loves company!” Sorry to hear about your E-tron GT but in some ways relieved to realize our Taycan are not alone. You would think the combined engineering of Porsche and Audi would be able to get on top of such an infuriating issue for EV adopters. Also why on earth can’t the drunk have a mechanical manual release like 99% of the vehicles on the road?!!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
so far my 12V issue has not recurred post software update - any 12V problems remaining are far less frequent (not that the previous one was really frequent) and may not be 12V issues at all - many many people mis-diagnose what problem they are experiencing

to date I'm not aware of any current/frequent 12V issues related to the vehicle 12V dying while it's plugged into charge…
Same. Vehicle was dead one morning when ~2 months old. Towed to dealer. Software patch/update for 12V issues. Zero problems since.

(Note: car was not plugged in for a couple days leading up to dead 12V)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
we should be clear there may be remaining reasons a 12V can go dead - and even with perfect software and _NO_ bugs your 12V battery may die - that doesn't mean there is a fault with Taycan/Porsche - it's the nature of 12V batteries and their limited capacities…

the specific issue that Porsche addressed (and apparently there were multiple ways in which the Taycan's software would cause a load on the 12V and cause it to die) was to find the 12V battery dead in like a few hours after plugging it in to your EV Charger (EVSE) - which is ridiculous to say the least…this is NOT the same sort of issue as parking a vehicle in the parking lot for 6 weeks and then finding your 12V dead…

having the Taycan drain the 12V battery to dead while plugged into external AC power is like dying of dehydration while swimming in a lake…

I believe Porsche has fixed most of the problems - but that does NOT mean you will never find a dead 12V battery - it just means we're now down to the same issue with 12V batteries dying that you have for all vehicles (too long in the parking lot, battery age, micro drains on the battery, battery faults, etc…)

I think Porsche has addressed the "active" reasons a 12V might die, leaving us with the unfixable and endemic reasons a 12V might die - which happen infrequently but still happen.

Drew Webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 GT2, Tesla Model X, Maserati Quattroporte
Country flag
Brilliant! Has anyone tried leaving this puppy hooked to the 12v posts in a Taycan (or any other EV for that matter)?

vaelin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
Got all the latest updates, 2020. 12V completely drained in span of 5 hours. I moved the car out of the driveway so I could take the 3RS out for a spin. Came back, and in the evening when I went to go get the kids with the Taycan it was completely dead. So latest update doesn't seem to have done much.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Posting here since it seems most relevant. Took delivery today with the timeline in the signature that shows there is 2 months between leaving the factory (assuming when it was charged to full) and delivery by when the 12v would be dead for sure given the limitation of 8 cycles. My PDI revealed damage due to 12v being dead at some point when the car needed to be moved. Someone, just ripped the fuse cover, scratched my door sill in leather with it and sliced the rubber seal around the driver door, and then broke the frame in the frunk by ripping the cover off, possibly looking for battery poles. So Taycans are not covered very well inside or outside during transport making them very vulnerable to damage and then having to do the song and dance to access the frunk when 12v is dead resulting in major damage to my brand new Taycan requiring most certainly months of waiting on parts as I have to now replace door rubber sill (not a big deal), driver door sill in leather with deviated stitching (possibly major as trim has to be removed), and my entire frunk enclosure needs to be replaced (not too bad per tech to do). I blame Porsche for poor design not allowing to keep 12v alive even long enough to be transported and then not covering obviously vulnerable leather interior parts. Now it is going through the PPF process and it will take the entire day to clean it up (as it was extremely filthy inside and out) and find any more damage that my dealer said is reportable as long as it is within 48 hours which it will be. This is not the kind of experience anyone wants to have when accepting a car of this class.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Posting here since it seems most relevant. Took delivery today with the timeline in the signature that shows there is 2 months between leaving the factory (assuming when it was charged to full) and delivery by when the 12v would be dead for sure given the limitation of 8 cycles. My PDI revealed damage due to 12v being dead at some point when the car needed to be moved. Someone, just ripped the fuse cover, scratched my door sill in leather with it and sliced the rubber seal around the driver door, and then broke the frame in the frunk by ripping the cover off, possibly looking for battery poles. So Taycans are not covered very well inside or outside during transport making them very vulnerable to damage and then having to do the song and dance to access the frunk when 12v is dead resulting in major damage to my brand new Taycan requiring most certainly months of waiting on parts as I have to now replace door rubber sill (not a big deal), driver door sill in leather with deviated stitching (possibly major as trim has to be removed), and my entire frunk enclosure needs to be replaced (not too bad per tech to do). I blame Porsche for poor design not allowing to keep 12v alive even long enough to be transported and then not covering obviously vulnerable leather interior parts. Now it is going through the PPF process and it will take the entire day to clean it up (as it was extremely filthy inside and out) and find any more damage that my dealer said is reportable as long as it is within 48 hours which it will be. This is not the kind of experience anyone wants to have when accepting a car of this class.

Very sorry to hear.

However, as far as I know, the batteries are "generally" charged only to 50% when being sent out to minimize deterioration as nobody knows how long they will sit untouched (could be many months). Usually the draw on the 12V will be minimal but I suppose it's possible for it to discharge (and maybe not recharge while in special transport mode).

A bit disappointing learning that whoever had to jump start the car didn't care at the least for a job well done. Probably was under pressure to move the car out of the way (or load it).

I hope you'll get everything sorted as quick as possible.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
So this morning my car is dead as a dodo... was fully charged yesterday and this morning the alarm went off briefly and now it's dead... waiting for porsche assist.

JohnLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron GT
Country flag
Big thanks to @daveo4EV for this post!

I’m an Audi Etron GT owner - but the steps in first post worked perfectly - I’ve joined here just incase any other Etron GT owners find this thread (like I did) and wanted to confirm it works.

1. use the little metal key in your fob to get into your car.

2. With our electric frunk - you need to connect a 12v battery (we used a 12v car battery lead-acid) to these points (drivers-side footwell panel):

Porsche Taycan Cheat sheet: How do I recover my Taycan if it dies because of the 12 volt problem… IMG_1506

Then press the frunk button in the drivers door. This worked 100%. UK. Did it today.

3. using the same 12v battery - not a car charger - follow steps in first post. Connect to the points here (the positive had a little red cap on it)…

Porsche Taycan Cheat sheet: How do I recover my Taycan if it dies because of the 12 volt problem… IMG_1524

And within 30secs - the computer system came back on - and you can charge your car.

Thanks again for info Daveo4EV

my car main battery had 65% charge in it when it came back on - but the 12v battery died for some reason - making the car completely DEAD. No screen, no locking, nothing.