Check Your Tires!

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Outside tread blocks will probably still clear water better than non existent inside tread blocks. But I’m not a tire engineer.
I’m not a tire engineer, but I would think it may not be too much different than low tread, and maybe worse.

Tread on tires is a hydraulic pump designed to evacuate water rapidly so that your tire remains in contact with the road.

You hydroplane when the volume of water is greater than the capacity of the pump, which is why you are much more likely to hydroplane with low tread.

The problem with running a directional tire backwards is that the design of the pump has been optimized for the indicated direction. So, if it runs backwards, it may not actually remove water, or at least it, by definition, will not do so as efficiently.

Tires are the single most important component on your vehicle. Your safety and those around you depend upon it, so it may be better to be conservative.

Other problem for people like me who don’t drive a lot of miles is tire age. I end up getting new tires due to age rather than tread wear.
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
…more important than window trim color?!

That doesn’t sound right.
Correction, tires come right after verifying proper function of puddle lights so that you can exit the car without stepping on something and hurting your bare feet.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The other problem with running tires in reverse is that they will cup/feather fairly quickly and make a shit ton of noise.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The other problem with running tires in reverse is that they will cup/feather fairly quickly and make a shit ton of noise.
Well you do not necessarily need to run tyres in reverse though. If you flip your tyres and put the front left tyre on the right side, it can end up with the inside on the outside, but same rotation. But for such a modest cost compared yo the price of a Taycan, is it really worth it.

Looking after your tyre pressure and alignment will give you many happy and safe miles. I have about 20k kms on my GoodYear Eagles now and the are good for another 8 to 10k kms.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well you do not necessarily need to run tyres in reverse though. If you flip your tyres and put the front left tyre on the right side, it can end up with the inside on the outside, but same rotation. But for such a modest cost compared yo the price of a Taycan, is it really worth it.

Looking after your tyre pressure and alignment will give you many happy and safe miles. I have about 20k kms on my GoodYear Eagles now and the are good for another 8 to 10k kms.
That would only work if the front and rears were the same size, but they are not. Other weirdness on modern cars is that replacing only one tire on an axle can interfere with operation of stability control and suspension systems, so typically you would want to replace four at once or at least both tires on an axle.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That would only work if the front and rears were the same size, but they are not. Other weirdness on modern cars is that replacing only one tire on an axle can interfere with operation of stability control and suspension systems, so typically you would want to replace four at once or at least both tires on an axle.
What I meant is that you take the tyre off the wheel and then remount it on the other sides wheel. So left front with the same rotation direction goes on the front left. I know what you mean if you do have the same size on all four wheels.

Not sure a tyre shop will perform this though.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What I meant is that you take the tyre off the wheel and then remount it on the other sides wheel. So left front with the same rotation direction goes on the front left. I know what you mean if you do have the same size on all four wheels.

Not sure a tyre shop will perform this though.
Sorry, I misread. Yes, that would work, apparently even with asymmetric treads. I just learned that the purpose for asymmetric typically is that 1/2 is optimized for dry and 1/2 for wet, so while cross rotating is not ideal, it’s not the end of the world. I’m too lazy for that and will just buy new tires when too worn.

Last edited:

WaltB

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981Spyder, 958.2 GTS, 991.2 TTS, Taycan Turbo,
Country flag
Every time I wash my cars, when I am at the wheels washing them, I reach into the wheel wheels and feel where I am on the tire wear bars for each tire. (From the most inner to the most outter)

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I’m not a tire engineer, but I would think it may not be too much different than low tread, and maybe worse.

Tread on tires is a hydraulic pump designed to evacuate water rapidly so that your tire remains in contact with the road.

You hydroplane when the volume of water is greater than the capacity of the pump, which is why you are much more likely to hydroplane with low tread.

The problem with running a directional tire backwards is that the design of the pump has been optimized for the indicated direction. So, if it runs backwards, it may not actually remove water, or at least it, by definition, will not do so as efficiently.

Tires are the single most important component on your vehicle. Your safety and those around you depend upon it, so it may be better to be conservative.

Other problem for people like me who don’t drive a lot of miles is tire age. I end up getting new tires due to age rather than tread wear.
Perfect answer :like: :like:

I use one of these on a regular basis
Porsche Taycan Check Your Tires! 51Vwno2XRDL._SL1200_

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
i remember Porsche service telling me that 10 years ago on my panamera turbo. I thought it was upselling cobblers then, and still do now! Local tyre place also thought it was daft - as was the not repairing tyres thing too.
Just change/fix the ones that need it, is fine in my experience, unless you're doing the canon ball run or le man or something.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i remember Porsche service telling me that 10 years ago on my panamera turbo. I thought it was upselling cobblers then, and still do now! Local tyre place also thought it was daft - as was the not repairing tyres thing too.
Just change/fix the ones that need it, is fine in my experience, unless you're doing the canon ball run or le man or something.
I think it’s a matter of degree. Two relatively new tires and one gets road damage, by all means replace the one. But if you have relatively high mileage/wear and one is damaged, then replace them both even if you could have squeezed more mileage out of the other. Depending upon how much the difference is, your car could be sensing a difference in rotational speed.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well you do not necessarily need to run tyres in reverse though. If you flip your tyres and put the front left tyre on the right side, it can end up with the inside on the outside, but same rotation.
If the fronts are reasonably worn, and you swap them side to side without reversing the direction, you're likely gonna get some pretty odd turn in due to the camber wear on the inner vs outer edge. I expect the car is not going to want to change direction quite so easily.

Who knows. All in all it doesn't seem like a smart move just to save a few bucks on a six figure car.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Don't step over a dollar to pick up a dime.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the fronts are reasonably worn, and you swap them side to side without reversing the direction, you're likely gonna get some pretty odd turn in due to the camber wear on the inner vs outer edge. I expect the car is not going to want to change direction quite so easily.

Who knows. All in all it doesn't seem like a smart move just to save a few bucks on a six figure car.
I completely agree with you. Just check your tyres for pressure and wear on a regular basis and you will enjoy great driving. And if alignment is out get it fixed.

I can not understand why one would by and drive a supercar and skimp on tyres or alignment.
Sponsored