Clear Bra & Ceramic - can’t go through car wash?

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
Forgive me for what maybe an amateur question… on all our cars we generally do ceramic and clear bra / PPF and of course we would never take Porsche cars through a gas station type car wash…. But the decent ones that are $15-20 a wash that generally use the shammy type things to dry the car at the end. More often than not I’ll dry it off myself even further with a shammy, etc.

I was told that going through a car wash removes the ceramic coating and defeats the purpose? I guess I am just not sure how this is any different than washing the car with a sponge and drying it with a shammy towel.

Furthermore, I am thinking perhaps if I have my local shop do a full PPF then full ceramic perhaps I shouldn’t be taking my car to the car wash 2-3x a week? I am OCD and starting to wonder if a detail spray and cleaning up the wheels might get the job done rather than taking it to the DIY or automatic (as referenced above) car wash.
Sponsored

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
It shouldn’t remove the ceramic, but I’d check with your products warranty to see how to best care for it. If anything your car with full PPF will fare better in a car wash than a regular car which will get scratched up.

The nice thing about PPF and ceramic is that all you need to do is simple wash. I use a rinse less product from XPEL that works really well. Takes like 10 min to apply and towel off. I do it every 2 weeks since it’s so dusty in the summer

BarryC

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Some car washes will use harsh chemicals to remove the dirt that could effect the ceramic coating, I would imagine the PPF could still be susceptible to swirls and scratches from any machines as well. Two bucket method all the way for my cars.

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
I just ordered a bunch of eco waterless car wash stuff from Chemical Guys so I am going to try and start going this direction because frankly I never let my cars get more than a little bit dirty.
Sponsored