Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan?

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am thinking of doing the whole car. Not sure I like the idea of doing it half way. I've done ceramic coating before, not PPF, so I don't necessarily know what I am doing ;)
I did the whole car and it’s great! Cleaning is so much easier too...

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? 45B95BCD-A9DA-4A23-A418-3A06D52F664D
Sponsored

dwollenh

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 F 350 Limited SuperDuty
Country flag
I just did xpel PPF on full front, mirrors, and doors... and full ceramic on car and wheel faces. Looks amazing, and I know it will stay protected for the most part. I've done this with most of my cars and don't regret the investment to ensure my vehicles always look great.

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? 9F0F87D5-34AF-4E40-8CBE-481EB352C735_1_201_a

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? 885D712F-C40A-4E36-9576-196D9AB57982

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would also like to get full PPF. I stopped by the local dealer to look at a 911 they had with full PPF. I noticed that the film did wrap around the straight edges but the corners did not. I can understand why that is but I thought I would just check with those here that that is a normal limitation of PPF. Included is a photo of some corners.
I suppose the other options is PPS, has anyone here done that?
Thanks

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? IMG_3480

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
I would also like to get full PPF. I stopped by the local dealer to look at a 911 they had with full PPF. I noticed that the film did wrap around the straight edges but the corners did not. I can understand why that is but I thought I would just check with those here that that is a normal limitation of PPF. Included is a photo of some corners.
Thanks

IMG_3480.jpg
That really looks like it could have been done better.

I will be getting PPF as well and I'm weighing up how much of the car to get covered. I spend quite a lot of time up in the mountains and it's not uncommon for pebbles to fall on cars. There's often a fair bit of gravel on the roads as well... so yeah a full coverage would probably be wise.

Looking forward to hearing how hilariously expensive it will be.

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks

IMG_3480.jpg
PPF doesn’t ever wrap around the sides - and that makes it much easier to install and to replace. No panels have to be taken off, etc. In reality...from a few feet away, you cannot really see the PPF edge unless it catches the light just right. Even then, it’s not a big deal. But...a good installer will get the PPF closer to the edges. I really like the results of mine and the fact that it is sooo easy to clean let alone protect against chips.

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Thanks

IMG_3480.jpg
Thanks

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? IMG_3480
I think this is going to be specific to the installer... I agree that it could have been done more completely. Some installers will be much more skilled at this than others.

For reference, since my Taycan PPF is in progress, here is an example from my Model X... you don't see the PPF stop short on any of the straight edges. Only on some sharp corner points, if you look very closely, do you see how the corner was not wrapped 'on' but 'around', likely because the PPF would form a folded point of material if you didn't.

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? image1

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? image0

Kevin2dx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 McLaren 720S
Country flag
My car is almost finished. Can’t wait to show pics with the rest of you :)

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
PPF doesn’t ever wrap around the sides - and that makes it much easier to install and to replace. No panels have to be taken off, etc. In reality...from a few feet away, you cannot really see the PPF edge unless it catches the light just right. Even then, it’s not a big deal. But...a good installer will get the PPF closer to the edges. I really like the results of mine and the fact that it is sooo easy to clean let alone protect against chips.
This is true, but only when the car is clean. When even a little dirty, the dirt will tend to collect along the edges, making them more visible. Especially on horizontal edges after rain.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got PPF for the first time (before I just did ceramic coating). It really depends on the installer and how OCD you are. After the installation, there was a slight issue on the door handle which I only noticed since I use the door handle and the installer reapplied and it was perfect. I mention that because I imagine that if I was really OCD I may find another spot if I lie on the floor and look at some corner in a different light. But looking at the car as I walk up to it, open frunk/trunk/doors, etc, it looks great.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Thanks

IMG_3480.jpg
I have had PPF on the majority of my cars. I would not be happy with the example in your post. Most installers use precut, computer generated templates that the installer can tweak a bit to allow them to either wrap around the edges on areas like the hood, doors, trunk or to get right up to the edges on the other panels. If done correctly, it should be very difficult to see any of the edges. You should not be able to see the edge before you can feel it by touch. The job in the photo looks like a get in/out fast job. I really want to try the Paint Protection Spray, but currently in the US there are only a handful of installers. There are two forum members who have had PPS and it looks great (including the ability to cover the plastic bits that will not accept PPF or a wrap).

JJTO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911S Cab; '97 NSX; BMW X5, Suburban
Country flag
Just got mine back from the PPF installer and the seams are not obvious at all although I only did the full front including the rear view mirrors. It takes some serious looking to find the seams as they are all folded in.

As an aside, ask your installer about installing the PPF on the display screens including the passenger display with xPel. They are available through xPel and laser cut so they are completely seamless.

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just got mine back from the PPF installer and the seams are not obvious at all although I only did the full front including the rear view mirrors. It takes some serious looking to find the seams as they are all folded in.

As an aside, ask your installer about installing the PPF on the display screens including the passenger display with xPel. They are available through xPel and laser cut so they are completely seamless.
Great idea on the touch screens !

JJTO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911S Cab; '97 NSX; BMW X5, Suburban
Country flag
Forgot to mention that I also got the windshield tinted as well. Well tinted is a misnomer...it's clear xPel film that blocks heat (rated at ~97% blockage if I remember correctly). Of course with the storms in the Gulf, the weather here is unseasonably cool (not complaining) so I can't test it but it never hurts to block any amount of heat.

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
My car is almost finished. Can’t wait to show pics with the rest of you :)
Hi Kevin,
Is your PPF done with XPEL material? If yes do you know if your shop use the pre-cut kits (DAP)?

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
I was asking my dealer in the UK about PPF and Ceramic coating.

He offered me Swissvax for £600.

Does anyone know of Swissvax, from the brochure is doesn’t seem to be a ceramic coating.
Sponsored