Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan?

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I’m thinking about ppf on the front bumper to catch the worst of the stone chips
Sponsored

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
I am completely lost with this and have never done this type of protection. My Turbo comes in early April and is going to be a second car @ maybe 8,000 miles a year ( gym, dinner, etc. after work ). In this type of situation I would love some suggestions as to what you would get and what areas you would cover ?
Thanks in advance

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I am completely lost with this and have never done this type of protection. My Turbo comes in early April and is going to be a second car @ maybe 8,000 miles a year ( gym, dinner, etc. after work ). In this type of situation I would love some suggestions as to what you would get and what areas you would cover ?
Thanks in advance
I am having the same thoughts, so far thinking ceramic coating instead, Yay or Nay?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’m going with pain correction then ceramic coating. Speaking to a detailer few days ago he recommends Gyeon leather shield for white leather.

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
never considered PPF until now.
Me neither . . . I think the dealer tried to sell it to me last time I bought a car and I thought it was a scam. Sounds most interesting for painted wheels actually. Would that work? How long does it take to get done? It's going to be hard to give up time with the car once delivered!

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
can you explain why? never considered PPF until now.
To me PPF is about protecting the paint from rock chips. Of the 20+ years of driving a car, it is super rare that my car got a rock chip or a scratch that I would have benefited from PPF. I had more car dings and accidents, which PPF doesn't protect from.

I look at ceramic coating as helping me keep the car clean. Easier to wash and less likely for dirt to stick to the car, so the car will look nicer on a day to day basis. I think of it as a very expensive car wax that last for a long time.

You can always combine the 2. It is just out of the budget I like to spend, so I'm picking the one that I would get more value and joy on a day to day basis.

OP
OP

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
The dealer told me there is a "wheel damage" insurance for about $2500. But a new wheel is $2-3000, so I may do it.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
I'll be going with additional coating/protection of some kind. I'm also thinking about doing a full wrap in yellow.

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
The dealer told me there is a "wheel damage" insurance for about $2500. But a new wheel is $2-3000, so I may do it.
I did wheel damage coverage on my last one and it was worth it. Michigan Road are horrific

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've been using PPF on my last 4 cars with good results. It's the only thing that protects against rock damage. In fact, a huge rock hit the hood of my Cayman and it only caused a very slight dent that could be easily repaired by the paintless dent removal guy. That in itself paid for a couple cars worth of film. I'm trying ceramic for the first time with the 2020 stable and yes, it goes on over the film as well as on bare paint.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I've been using PPF on my last 4 cars with good results. It's the only thing that protects against rock damage. In fact, a huge rock hit the hood of my Cayman and it only caused a very slight dent that could be easily repaired by the paintless dent removal guy. That in itself paid for a couple cars worth of film. I'm trying ceramic for the first time with the 2020 stable and yes, it goes on over the film as well as on bare paint.
That's great to hear. I have a wrap on my race car, and it is amazing - not a single chip anywhere (ok, maybe a few body panels replaced, but that's a different story...). I've never done PPF, but it sounds great, and I've researched wraps and it looks like Expel PPF on top is best. I plan on doing the whole car in Expel with PPF on everything including the wheels.
Sponsored