Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have been using PPF on several of my cars for the last 15 years. Due to the cost of PPF, I usually do not install it on my leased cars. The technology has changed during the past 7 or so years. Most of the high end PPF (Xpel, Suntek) have self healing qualities. If you get a scratch in the film or a bird dropping etching, you take some hot water (I usually immerse a cloth in a cup of water and heat it in a microwave) and pour it (or place the cloth with hot water on top of) the scratch or bird dropping etching. The scratch/mark will disappear before your eyes. I once had a truck on the highway drop some wood that hit the hood of my car. The PPF did tear, but it sacrificed itself instead of the paint. I replaced the damaged section of PPF with a new piece.

Until my Aston DB 11, I did partial PPF on my cars to protect the front part of the car (full hood, both fenders, grill, side mirrors). With the Aston, the rear quarter panels do flare out quite a bit and are prone to stones being kicked up by the tires. In light of the big investment I already made buying the car, I did a complete paint correction to remove all of the swirl marks, full PPF on the entire car, and then ceramic coating on top of the PPF. The ceramic coating does make the surface easier to clean, but it is not the miracle product that you read about in the marketing materials. There is a new PPF coming to the market that has ceramic coating embedded in the film. The total cost for paint correction, full PPF, and ceramic coating is not cheap. I had estimates up to $11k. I spent about $8k in Fairfield County Connecticut.

I recently turned in a 2017 Maserati Quattroporte that had about 11k miles, including a drive from Denver to Atlanta. No PPF. It did not have a single stone chip. I think the quality/hardness of the paint was a big factor. My 2013 Boxster S has PPF. The area with PPF looks as good as the day I bought it new 7+ years ago. I am not planning to PPF my Taycan mainly because I will lease it since as a gen 1 EV for Porsche it will depreciate like crazy as gen 2 comes out.

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

You know, I've never seen someone try to key a car with PPF, but these films are tough and I imagine it would be difficult to 'casually' key the car because of the effort required to penetrate the film. Now, could someone take a sharp pocket knife and slice the car? Maybe so.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A video on an XPEL wrap of a Taycan by BC Signature

Porsche Taycan Turbo S invisible XPEL Paint Protection wrap

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
A video on an XPEL wrap of a Taycan by BC Signature

Porsche Taycan Turbo S invisible XPEL Paint Protection wrap

OK, but what about the wheels? I'm concerned about chips on the white sections. and, what ceramic coating do you recommend over the XPEL?

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I plan on having PPF installed on the whole front end and the top of the rear bumper.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
OK, but what about the wheels? I'm concerned about chips on the white sections. and, what ceramic coating do you recommend over the XPEL?
I have Mission E wheels without the option of body color (mine is white).
I'll wrap the silver parts in body color, that way they are protected, it's cheaper without the option and look much better in body color, win/win/win.
:)

Last edited:

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have Mission E wheels without the option of body color (mine is white).
I'll wrap them in body color, that way they are protected, it's cheaper without the option and look much more better in body color, win/win/win.
:)
I wish I thought of that. Good idea!

Reactions: Dee

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In light of the big investment I already made buying the car, I did a complete paint correction to remove all of the swirl marks, full PPF on the entire car, and then ceramic coating on top of the PPF.
Are swirl marks and tiny scratches noticeable through the PPF? I'd like to do the Porsche Experience Center delivery in Atlanta and drive the car home to Virginia before getting PPF installed, but does that mean a lot of extra paint prep vs. taking the car straight from the dealer to the detail shop for PPF install?
Off topic, but I noticed my profile country got set to "Uruguay". This site must have auto-updated based on IP address when I went back for vacation before the pandemic hit. It's unique so I'll just leave it that way.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are swirl marks and tiny scratches noticeable through the PPF? I'd like to do the Porsche Experience Center delivery in Atlanta and drive the car home to Virginia before getting PPF installed, but does that mean a lot of extra paint prep vs. taking the car straight from the dealer to the detail shop for PPF install?
Off topic, but I noticed my profile country got set to "Uruguay". This site must have auto-updated based on IP address when I went back for vacation before the pandemic hit. It's unique so I'll just leave it that way.
Maybe check the PEC will do it

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag
I wish I thought of that. Good idea!
I was told that you couldn’t wrap the wheels because of the heat from the breaks. True or false?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I was told that you couldn’t wrap the wheels because of the heat from the breaks. True or false?
First of all, an EV uses regenerative braking so not that much hot particles on the film.
Second, the wrap isn't directly in line of the brake discs.
Third, paint is as fragile as wrap.
I guess just paint is only better when it's powder coated.
I think the color on the Taycan wheels isn't, it's just normal paint (over powder coated black).
Advantage: replacing a piece of wrap is easy, also cuz it's a 5-piece.

Last edited:

Nhb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am thinking of doing the whole car. Not sure I like the idea of doing it half way. I've done ceramic coating before, not PPF, so I don't necessarily know what I am doing ;)
We did the entire car and it also included the ceramic pro. It's not that much more than just doing the front end. You might as well do it now rather than regret not doing it when you get a chip on your door from keys or an inconsiderate parker who opens their door onto yours.

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just curious as to how many will have PPF installed on their Taycan and to what extent. I'm thinking the front half of the car, up to the windshield and the door handles.
I wrapped the whole car with PPF. You’ll never have to wax again! And no chips of course. And it looks great if its done at a good shop. Just use detailer spray and your good to go after an auto car wash. It is well worth it!

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? 5DCCE781-75D5-404C-B0AC-C72743CF5ADE
Sponsored