Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'll be getting the Ceramic Pro Gold treatment - 4 layers of 9H and one layer of light. This has a lifetime guarantee, and in checking around looks to be about the best in the business. Very $'s, but I believe worth it for this car.
Sponsored

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Never did it on any of my cars - never regretted that. I am planning to keep the car for only 3 years (duration of the lease).
Just curious as to how many will have PPF installed on their Taycan and to what extent. I'm thinking the front half of the car, up to the windshield and the door handles.
I thought about it but decided against. I will ceramic coat it as easier to clean and a few chips on bonnet can be repaired at a fraction of the cost of PPF. Also if you damage the car you not only have to get it repaired but also re apply PPF to the damaged part of the car. It won't affect resale or trade in value too much with a few stone chips here and there.

guarlian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo s
Country flag
stek dyno shiled all car..shines better then mettalic color..its a good way to protect your car plus ectra cosmetic paint effect

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
Cool video. White Details in the UK. Has loads of informative videos.

Last edited:

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
I was asking my dealer in the UK about PPF and Ceramic coating.

He offered me Swissvax for £600.

Does anyone know of Swissvax, from the brochure is doesn’t seem to be a ceramic coating.
It’s not. SwissVax make a range of high-end detailing products, including A range of “conventional“ carnuba waxes.

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
It’s not. SwissVax make a range of high-end detailing products, including A range of “conventional“ carnuba waxes.
I worked that out in the end...

Have found a detailer which is going to do it.

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just curious as to how many will have PPF installed on their Taycan and to what extent. I'm thinking the front half of the car, up to the windshield and the door handles.
I got my whole car covers in PPF and highly recommend it! Don’t stop half way. If you have the whole car done, cleaning is super easy, never wax again and the whole car looks consistent (and beautiful)! Dark cars have no swirl marks too. Get the whole car done...don’t cheap out!

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I got my whole car covers in PPF and highly recommend it! Don’t stop half way. If you have the whole car done, cleaning is super easy, never wax again and the whole car looks consistent (and beautiful)! Dark cars have no swirl marks too. Get the whole car done...don’t cheap out!
I got full PPF, and ceramic on top of that. I agree that it's super easy to clean, but it's the ceramic making it so, not the PPF. Are you saying that PPF alone makes the car easier to clean? I don't believe that's true...

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Anyone have any experience with Xpel Fusion ceramic coating over Xpel PPF?

I have experience with Gtechniq products having applied many myself, and the PPF comes with a hydrophobic coating as standard, but the Fusion is a £600 option on-top and don't know much about it personally.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone have any experience with Xpel Fusion ceramic coating over Xpel PPF?

I have experience with Gtechniq products having applied many myself, and the PPF comes with a hydrophobic coating as standard, but the Fusion is a £600 option on-top and don't know much about it personally.
Yes, I got the 'lifetime warrantee', which actually requires a yearly 'refresh' at $120, and I can say the results are stunning. My car will never need wax - actually they warn NOT to wax the car because it can dull the finish. After two months and over 1K miles, with just light washing, it still looks showroom quality.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Yes, I got the 'lifetime warrantee', which actually requires a yearly 'refresh' at $120, and I can say the results are stunning. My car will never need wax - actually they warn NOT to wax the car because it can dull the finish. After two months and over 1K miles, with just light washing, it still looks showroom quality.
Good to hear! I also moved on from waxes a while back with Gtechniq C1, but then became CS Light, and then CS Black and now Ultra. Combined with EXO there's no need for a wax, and although much more of a pain to apply, the last for ages and make the car a pleasure to clean.

Is the Xpel Fusion hydrophobic? I presume so as the ppf is providing the protection element.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good to hear! I also moved on from waxes a while back with Gtechniq C1, but then became CS Light, and then CS Black and now Ultra. Combined with EXO there's no need for a wax, and although much more of a pain to apply, the last for ages and make the car a pleasure to clean.

Is the Xpel Fusion hydrophobic? I presume so as the ppf is providing the protection element.
Yes, highly hydrophobic - you can tell by looking at the shape and density of water beads on the surface. Here's a cool pic showing the ceramic coating effect on the roof and Xpel. The glass on the roof completely blocks UV and most IR and you can see the difference in lightwaves reflected in the droplet color in the area where light is transmitted through the glass.
Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? raindrops on glass roof

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here’s my glass roof. Nothing on it but winded window cleaner!
It does have a weird effect on water droplets either way.

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? A276E8E5-A98A-478C-A8B4-75183CED7E69

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just as a little counterpoint to this thread..

I no longer use PPF on my cars as I just don't find the value to be there. If you're going to get it done, you should always get the car fully covered w/ a seamless install which is quite expensive. I don't find that you gain any visual or cleaning benefits over just a good ceramic and the reality is many PPF jobs look worse than a pure ceramic as it's a more skill intensive job. It will always look worse with a seamed install.

In my eyes there's no real difference in dealing with damage of PPF vs paint, except that you've paid a lot of money up front for the PPF. I've yet to have a car where putting PPF on saved me money over just repairing scratches & chips.

In my opinion, unless you have a car with some sort of special paint that you need to protect, or you're using one of the PPF products that changes the appearance of the car (ie.. Xpel stealth) I'd stick with DYI products or a ceramic install. I was going to stick with waxing my Taycan but I ended up having IGL Kenzo applied as I'm parking the car outside. I paid $1k + tax for paint correction, deep polish, and Kenzo application.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just as a little counterpoint to this thread..

I no longer use PPF on my cars as I just don't find the value to be there. If you're going to get it done, you should always get the car fully covered w/ a seamless install which is quite expensive. I don't find that you gain any visual or cleaning benefits over just a good ceramic and the reality is many PPF jobs look worse than a pure ceramic as it's a more skill intensive job. It will always look worse with a seamed install.

In my eyes there's no real difference in dealing with damage of PPF vs paint, except that you've paid a lot of money up front for the PPF. I've yet to have a car where putting PPF on saved me money over just repairing scratches & chips.

In my opinion, unless you have a car with some sort of special paint that you need to protect, or you're using one of the PPF products that changes the appearance of the car (ie.. Xpel stealth) I'd stick with DYI products or a ceramic install. I was going to stick with waxing my Taycan but I ended up having IGL Kenzo applied as I'm parking the car outside. I paid $1k + tax for paint correction, deep polish, and Kenzo application.
I don't think anyone is saying that PPF saves money in the long run. So maybe you could get all the scratches and chips repaired for less than the cost of full PPF. But would you actually do that - take your car to the shop every time you get a new scratch? I wouldn't.
Sponsored