Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan?

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
Just curious as to how many will have PPF installed on their Taycan and to what extent. I'm thinking the front half of the car, up to the windshield and the door handles.
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just curious as to how many will have PPF installed on their Taycan and to what extent. I'm thinking the front half of the car, up to the windshield and the door handles.
I am thinking of doing the whole car. Not sure I like the idea of doing it half way. I've done ceramic coating before, not PPF, so I don't necessarily know what I am doing ;)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have done PPF on another car. Given that the Taycan is quite low in the front, I would recommend the front part including the mirrors. I also did the side skirts below the doors, as well as the lower parts in front of the rear wheels. And after three years I can only say it was worth every penny. I would have liked to do the doors as well as parking spots are quite tight and it is quite normal to have the door damaged by neighbours in the parking lot opening the door doors a bit hard. It gets quite expensive if you go for the whole of the car, but it might be justifiable considering the price of the car.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I did it on the front half of my Cayman (hood, front clip, front fenders, side mirrors) and it makes me feel less concerned about rock chips. The local Porsche dealership recommended this and I'm glad I listened. My daily driver has film on only the first third of the hood so of course all the rock chips are above the film. :facepalm:

OP
OP

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now I'm reading that you should do a ceramic coating ON the PFF!

AlphaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Elise, Chevy Volt, Model X
Country flag
Pro detailers do recommend paint correction, PPF and then ceramic coating. The ceramic works together with the self-healing abilities of the film.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Full front clear protection wrap.
Defenately.
I do a lot of speeding so yeah...no brainer.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yes, that's what I'm reading. One of the really high quality ppf's (Suntek or Expel I'm hearing are the clearest) after the paint has been thoroughly prepared, followed by a hydrophobic ceramic coating. I plan on doing the entire car and yes, the painted sections of the wheels also...:fingerscrossed:

Just so you don't think I'm too OCD, my last two cars were an M5V10 - 105,000 miles, and I currently have a Panamera GTS 98,500 miles. I plan on driving this 100K miles as well.

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? image

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Never did it on any of my cars - never regretted that. I am planning to keep the car for only 3 years (duration of the lease).

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I managed to get the coating and protective film for free as a sort of discount...lol.
Still worth €2500...

tk23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren 600LT. Porsche macan gts. Porsche 964 C4. Volvo xc90
Country flag
Ceramic coat over PPF looks great and is very easy to take care of. I'm just not sure if it's a good value, and this is already an expensive car for a daily driver. I've had cars with ceramic coating only, full front XPEL, and custom full car XPEL with ceramic coating. I've never seen any additional value on resale so it all comes down to how much protection you want for yourself. Watching that video I'm shocked someone would do a full XPEL on a tesla model 3. My full wrap with paint correction and ceramic coat was 7K. That's more than 10% of the value on that tesla. You really have to care about the paint finish to justify that cost. I'm not sure what I will go with on the taycan. I'm leaning towards the full front with ceramic coat but am considering ceramic coat alone. As much as I like the full xpel and ceramic coating I just don't think it is worth the high cost, especially since it affords no added value on resale.

OP
OP

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was surprised someone would go to that extent on a Model 3 also.
But I'm going to do a full car PPF and ceramic coating. $7000 on a $180,000 car isn't bad.
Resale isn't much of a consideration in my mind. The car will depreciate 50% in 3 years anyway!
At least it won't have any scratches!

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Ceramic coat over PPF looks great and is very easy to take care of. I'm just not sure if it's a good value, and this is already an expensive car for a daily driver. I've had cars with ceramic coating only, full front XPEL, and custom full car XPEL with ceramic coating. I've never seen any additional value on resale so it all comes down to how much protection you want for yourself. Watching that video I'm shocked someone would do a full XPEL on a tesla model 3. My full wrap with paint correction and ceramic coat was 7K. That's more than 10% of the value on that tesla. You really have to care about the paint finish to justify that cost. I'm not sure what I will go with on the taycan. I'm leaning towards the full front with ceramic coat but am considering ceramic coat alone. As much as I like the full xpel and ceramic coating I just don't think it is worth the high cost, especially since it affords no added value on resale.
$7K is definitely on the high side, but I bet you had a very high quality job. I had a full wrap on my cayman interseries (shown in profile) race car and it was $7,500 - but that was with a lot of incredible detail on matching the 907 livery. I can say that in approaching 10K miles of racing, I don't have a single chip or major scratch ( ok, had to replace a few body parts, but that's different...).

I'm looking at doing the entire car in xpel with ceramic, and including the body color portions of the mission E wheels. That's actually what I'm most concerned about, after the front fender area and hood. I agree that you're better off paying a bit more for a quality install than taking a chance by saving some money. I also agree it's crazy to do a full xpel on a model 3. I didn't do any protection on my Panamera, and it held up pretty well after 98K miles. This car is so beautiful though, and since I plan on driving it 100K miles, I believe it's worth spending an extra 3% to keep it looking that way.

As an aside - is anyone considering windshield protection as well?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
As an aside - is anyone considering windshield protection as well?
Are you talking about ceramic coating protection on the windshield, or something else? Also the panoramic roof -- what's the best way to protect all that glass and make it easy to clean/hard to get dirty?
Sponsored