Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
No but I'd wrap the doors. I thought it through then ended up doing the entire car. It's worth it if anyone wants to keep their paint pristine for years and thousands of miles.
I've been researching Stek PPF. It comes with the hydroponic layer and the self healing properties.

I love extreme gloss which it has too.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I've been researching Stek PPF. It comes with the hydroponic layer and the self healing properties.

I love extreme gloss which it has too.
I had STEK on a previous car and it did not hold up well after 15-17 months of use. Tons of pits and a couple tears and ZERO winters. (S. FL) I went back to Xpel Ultimate on 2021 GTS Cayenne and the Taycan. SUPER gloss.
Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? PPF & ceramic

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
Anyone noticed rock chips or micro scratches on the doors behind the front fender vents?

Would this part of the door need PPF?

It's not a problem for those with the power charge port cover

1582135305087.png
I am picking my car up Saturday, only got full front and those vents are wide open. After thinking about it I'll be adding PPF to my two front doors as well specifically for this concern.

There are just too many rocks on the road in Arizona. I am actually flying in to pick up my car out of Vegas, driving back to Phoenix. I plan on covering the vents on the ride back using cardboard and zip ties!

I didn't decide until after the full front PPF was done. I imagine it should help vs door dings too!

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I am picking my car up Saturday, only got full front and those vents are wide open. After thinking about it I'll be adding PPF to my two front doors as well specifically for this concern.

There are just too many rocks on the road in Arizona. I am actually flying in to pick up my car out of Vegas, driving back to Phoenix. I plan on covering the vents on the ride back using cardboard and zip ties!

I didn't decide until after the full front PPF was done. I imagine it should help vs door dings too!
Good idea to cover that vent.

That drive on the 93 will be blast in the Taycan, it's gorgeous.
It's great they put an EA charger in Kingman. It was needed.

DirtRider

First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Taycan 4S
Country flag
The cost is about 2.5% - 1.25% the cost of a well equipped Taycan across all ranges. That's probably close to what you pay annually just for insurance. So over the life of the car, the investment is relatively small.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
The cost is about 2.5% - 1.25% the cost of a well equipped Taycan across all ranges. That's probably close to what you pay annually just for insurance. So over the life of the car, the investment is relatively small.
Agreed. I did a full PPF on my car, and I am quite pleased with the results.
Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? 7F28B506-8DF1-4E58-B7B9-1128B389B9A1

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I had STEK on a previous car and it did not hold up well after 15-17 months of use. Tons of pits and a couple tears and ZERO winters. (S. FL) I went back to Xpel Ultimate on 2021 GTS Cayenne and the Taycan. SUPER gloss.
I've been very happy with Xpel Ultimate - 13 months and it still looks new. I'd definitely hesitate to get a PPF that claims to have 'lifetime' ceramic properties as well. My installer put 4 coats of Ceramic Pro(Gold - 4 Layers of 9H & 1 layer of Light ) on the entire car and recommends a 'refresh' every year ($100 cost). This makes a lot more sense to me than having a film that may not look great or accept additional ceramic coating when whatever is embedded in the film wears out.

Xpel and Ceramic Pro have been around for quite a while and have good long-term reviews. For that kind of money, I would highly recommend going with something that is known to hold up over time.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I should have noted that I they installed Suntek Reaction PPF. I liked what I saw in the installed cars and am very happy with the result. Agree, however, that this is a new product (albeit from an established company), so there is some risk there long term that I assumed.

AddAlfa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
I got a full PPF install just a month ago and yes, all the sensors were covered. It doesn't seem to affect their performance though and I'm not bothered by the slightly visible film over the gap.
Torv, who did your PPF in Marin?

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Torv, reading a lot on the forum about different problems on these cars. How has your overall experience been?
PPF is by far the
Torv, reading a lot on the forum about different problems on these cars. How has your overall experience been?
PPF is by far the best way to protect the car. Do the full car and you’ll be able to clean it so much more easily - even go through auto car washes. It always looks like it was freshly waxed. On my Carrera white, I had to trim the edges after a year because it can get dirt right on the edge. It’s an easy fix. And I have no nicks or scratches at all.

AddAlfa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
Thinking of just doing the front. Is there that much of a difference between ceramic and PPF?

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thinking of just doing the front. Is there that much of a difference between ceramic and PPF?
Completely different. Ceramic is a coating that wears off and PPF is a wrap. Ceramic cant repel pebbles and other road debris whereas PPF can and is self healing if scratched. PPF on the whole car makes indistinguishable. But on part of the car means you will have different wear and tear situations and care for the paint differently where you don’t have PPF.
Sponsored