adamandsheri

First Name
AdamAndSheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hey guys, 1090 miles and 30 days with my 2022 RWD. Only thing that is really worrying me is when I decelerate to around 5-10 MPH and then reaccelerate lightly (like rolling through a stop sign), there is a very noticeable clunk in the rear drive. It's kind of like a bad shift in a Chrysler transmission (of which I currently and have previously owned several), but I don't expect it from a Porsche (my 3rd Porsche here).

Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored

TontoTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I get a kind of "clunk" also, but I get it right after I roll out of park into drive without pressing on the accelerator. Usually two "clunks", then its gone.

I'd like to know if this is common also?

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I get a kind of "clunk" also, but I get it right after I roll out of park into drive without pressing on the accelerator. Usually two "clunks", then its gone.

I'd like to know if this is common also?
I get this also. It seems to be right after I adjust the drive mode as I am driving off from parked.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
It's the transmission. I have had TONS of experience this year with trans/drive units since my drive unit replacement.

Porchfan

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Panamera4, 2021AMG GLE 53
Country flag
Whoa that looks like serious replacement. Did this repair remove the “clunk” in the RWD transmission.

I hope to get more feedback on this clunking noise from other owners.... I love this car but the issues are making me defensive.

Porchfan

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Panamera4, 2021AMG GLE 53
Country flag
Went thru lots of mechanical and electro mechanical issues with my panamera and really do not want to go thru the dealer visits again.

Evpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022, Bolt 2020
Country flag
The very first TTS in 2020 that I test drove had that same clunk. I assumed it was just a noisy shift. Being electric I accepted it but would be shocked if my 911 did that. Didn't bother to ask the sales guy because of it being a very new arrival. He is also my sales guy for my incoming Taycan.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Possibly a silly question but could it be that the 'clunk' you are all experiencing is just amplified because of the quietness of the EV over an ICE car i.e. still somewhat bothersome no doubt, but perhaps not as bad as the sound might imply?
I remember (TOTALLY different situation) when I had my first (of 3) BMW GS motorbikes how much of a clunk you'd here from neutral to 1st - found it genuinely shocking relative to smoothness of other bike transmissions I used to ride but was essentially just a 'characteristic' of the transmission with no actual negative impact.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Whoa that looks like serious replacement. Did this repair remove the “clunk” in the RWD transmission.

I hope to get more feedback on this clunking noise from other owners.... I love this car but the issues are making me defensive.
No, clunk is normal operation. My car had excessive noise in first gear when in SPORT & SPORT+ drive modes. Problem solved with new (updated) drive unit. [April 2021 build]

Olle-swe

First Name
Olle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Coupe GTS
Country flag
Same here in our 4s CT that has done 700km. Will bring it up with the dealer.

OP
OP
adamandsheri

adamandsheri

First Name
AdamAndSheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Doing a little experimentation I think the issue only occurs when regeneration is active. I think the "clunk" may be the car switching from regeneration back to drive. Thoughts? Anyone else confirm it's related to regeneration?

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought the clunk was the transmission shifting down into 1st and figure it's normal?!?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I get the clunk occasionally in my RWD.
Not sure exactly what circumstances, but it is at lower speeds.
And also noticed it more as weather is cooler.

Assumed it's just normal transmission noise and ignore it.
Sponsored