f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Obviously I can't tell without listening myself but a standard feature of all gear trains is designed in backlash which reduces wear and noise but it does mean there is a small amount of free motion between power on and the over-run. In and EV where the motor runs much faster than an IC engine even if there is only a single speed transmission taking up this backlash may be more noticeable and audible on an EV than an ICE car.

So in summary it may not be a fault, just normal engineering being unfamiliar on an EV.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Doing a little experimentation I think the issue only occurs when regeneration is active. I think the "clunk" may be the car switching from regeneration back to drive. Thoughts? Anyone else confirm it's related to regeneration?
No. Gear changing behavior.

Olle-swe

First Name
Olle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Coupe GTS
Country flag
Talked to Porsche today and they thought it is when going from Normal mode to Sport or Sport plus in low speed. The car then goes from gear two (that is starting gear on normal mode) and shifts down to gear one, to set the car in a more agile mode.

I hope this is it!

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
Talked to Porsche today and they thought it is when going from Normal mode to Sport or Sport plus in low speed. The car then goes from gear two (that is starting gear on normal mode) and shifts down to gear one, to set the car in a more agile mode.

I hope this is it!
This certainly happens with mine, especially if I have the throttle engaged. I generally try not to use the throttle when switching from normal to sport mode.

I also have a clunk that happens when I go from backing up the car, stopping, and into drive (such as backing out of parking space.) A second or so after moving forward I get the clunk. I'm assuming this too is the gearbox shifting out of 1st into 2nd, as this doesn't happen if I'm in sport mode from the off.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
‘22 RWD 3700 miles normal mode, was coming to a stop and decided I needed to move closer to the car in front of me. Had the “A” recouperation active. As I let off the brake pedal and applied accelerator pedal I felt a strong clunk in the rear end. The radio was playing loud so don’t know if there was a sound from the clunk. Finally, this stop was not any different than any other stop performed since I took delivery of the vehicle.

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I get a kind of "clunk" also, but I get it right after I roll out of park into drive without pressing on the accelerator. Usually two "clunks", then its gone.

I'd like to know if this is common also?
This is exactly what mine does from park position, reverse, then put into drive. I hear the ‘clunk’ after about moving 6-10 feet whether moving in a straight line or turning.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not the same thing, but I sometimes hear something coming from the front if I hit a bump while making a turn. It sounds like maybe something is rubbing.

JohnSyme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan
Country flag
Hey guys, 1090 miles and 30 days with my 2022 RWD. Only thing that is really worrying me is when I decelerate to around 5-10 MPH and then reaccelerate lightly (like rolling through a stop sign), there is a very noticeable clunk in the rear drive. It's kind of like a bad shift in a Chrysler transmission (of which I currently and have previously owned several), but I don't expect it from a Porsche (my 3rd Porsche here).

Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes I’m getting the same 2021 RWD. Very loud and inappropriate in such a prestigious make.

JohnSyme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan
Country flag
‘22 RWD 3700 miles normal mode, was coming to a stop and decided I needed to move closer to the car in front of me. Had the “A” recouperation active. As I let off the brake pedal and applied accelerator pedal I felt a strong clunk in the rear end. The radio was playing loud so don’t know if there was a sound from the clunk. Finally, this stop was not any different than any other stop performed since I took delivery of the vehicle.
I get the same thing without regen.

SalahTaycan

First Name
Salah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022
Country flag
I have a Taycan 2022, I get the clunk occasionally in my RWD, from day one, I assume its normal, but very annoying for such a lovely car.
Not sure exactly what circumstances, only at lower speeds. Should I talk it the dealer?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I have a Taycan 2022, I get the clunk occasionally in my RWD, from day one, I assume its normal, but very annoying for such a lovely car.
Not sure exactly what circumstances, only at lower speeds. Should I talk it the dealer?
See post #17. Slight clunk will happen at ~50mph when shifting into second gear when in normal drive mode.

SalahTaycan

First Name
Salah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022
Country flag
See post #17. Slight clunk will happen at ~50mph when shifting into second gear when in normal drive mode.
Thanks LAX, but it sound not normal? Very annoying sound. Its like an issue with the gearbox…. !
even when reversing the car not very smooth… it does like hop or bounce ?

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
there is always some shifting noice if you sharpen you senses.
It will happen after reversing and going back to normal drive, it happens more in Sport mode and RWD Taycans use the 1st gear even in normal mode.

I had my RWD gearbox already replaced because the noise was excessive.
So my advice would be to compare it with at least 1-2 other RWDs ideally not from the dealer.
I drove one RWD Taycan and the gear changing was nearly unnoticeably.

SalahTaycan

First Name
Salah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022
Country flag
there is always some shifting noice if you sharpen you senses.
It will happen after reversing and going back to normal drive, it happens more in Sport mode and RWD Taycans use the 1st gear even in normal mode.

I had my RWD gearbox already replaced because the noise was excessive.
So my advice would be to compare it with at least 1-2 other RWDs ideally not from the dealer.
I drove one RWD Taycan and the gear changing was nearly unnoticeably.
Thanks a lot
Sponsored