Ll312

First Name
LL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, S7, Q8
Country flag
Now that cold weather has started (temps in the 30-40s for me in Chicago) how has your efficiency changed?

I’ve noticed an increase in consumption of about 25% with colder weather, but I’ve also changed from a factory 21” setup to a 20” winter setup with nfo pzero winter tires and OZ wheels so I’m unsure how much of that is due to the new rim/tire combo vs weather alone. Just curious what others have noticed with colder temps.

I don’t usually use a departure timer, perhaps I should?
Sponsored

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I dont know percentages but I do know I went from a 1 out of 5 days to fill up to 80% and now I’m doing it about twice every 5 days

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Now that cold weather has started (temps in the 30-40s for me in Chicago) how has your efficiency changed?

I’ve noticed an increase in consumption of about 25% with colder weather, but I’ve also changed from a factory 21” setup to a 20” winter setup with nfo pzero winter tires and OZ wheels so I’m unsure how much of that is due to the new rim/tire combo vs weather alone. Just curious what others have noticed with colder temps.

I don’t usually use a departure timer, perhaps I should?
Well documented on this forum but your range depletes for various reasons but from a standstill (charged to 85%) the main ones are ambient temperature, battery temp and AC mode used. If it is cold then expect less range (same for all EVs) and less still than the reported range once you switch on the AC to warm things up (makes a significant hit on available range). Simulate this in the car whilst going nowhere - switch AC fully off then move through the various settings (ECO Plus, ECO), switch between NORMAL, SPORT, SPORT PLUS, RANGE to see the impact. Things will change once on the road but typically not in a positive way.

To optimize before your journey use the preheat / precool function whilst connected to your PMC+ / PMCC / EVSE equipment to bring the cabin up to temp. Then switch the AC to ECO mode and use the seat warmers (most efficient way to heat) to keep warm. Failing that, plan to charge more frequently than you'd like on longer journeys.

Go to the Porsche microsite for the Taycan and play around with the range calculator - this will demonstrate the likely impact of temperature, style of driving, use of AC and wheels used. Wheels have the least impact, use of AC the greatest.

Where I live I get 204 miles at 85% this time of year (4C - 11C) and in the summer 250 (21C) at best - nowhere near the claimed WLTP numbers (these are are joke in all honesty). Most I've ever had @ 100% SOC has been 280 miles with an ambient of 26C.
Sponsored