Cold weather, no garage, interested in buying Taycan

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Macan GTS, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I have been lurking for a few weeks as I am close to purchasing a Taycan Turbo S. I have test driven it on multiple occasions now and absolutely love it.

My predicament is that I live in a very cold part of the world, Calgary, Canada and the temperatures here can drop to -20/-30 deg Celsius in the winter. I am currently building a house, but my current place doesn’t have a garage large enough to fit the Taycan in comfortbaly. I do have a private exterior car port which is uncovered at the moment.

Do you think it is wise for me to purchase this vehicle at this moment? The new house is still about 18 months away from completion so I am looking at two winters of the car being parked outside. What have others experienced in cold regions leaving their Taycans outside?

I appreciate any help and comments. Have a great weekend.
Sponsored

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You’ll love the car, but just think about how much range you need. At those temps, even with battery pre-heating, you’ll get EPA figures max, potentially far less if you really drive it. You won’t get the 300mile range figures some have been seeing. Also, the car probably won’t charge at those temps efficiently until the battery has heated up so you’d need to factor that into your protocol. Sorry to sound like an old Dad...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I have been lurking for a few weeks as I am close to purchasing a Taycan Turbo S. I have test driven it on multiple occasions now and absolutely love it.

My predicament is that I live in a very cold part of the world, Calgary, Canada and the temperatures here can drop to -20/-30 deg Celsius in the winter. I am currently building a house, but my current place doesn’t have a garage large enough to fit the Taycan in comfortbaly. I do have a private exterior car port which is uncovered at the moment.

Do you think it is wise for me to purchase this vehicle at this moment? The new house is still about 18 months away from completion so I am looking at two winters of the car being parked outside. What have others experienced in cold regions leaving their Taycans outside?

more important than the cold climate, do you have the ability to install 240 electrical service to the car port? owning an EV without the ability to have a dedicated place to charge can be a difficult proposition. relying on public chargers will cost you a lot of time charging the car as needed.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, but only if you can plug it in every night on 240 volts and it is temporary.

Edit
And in the winter, whenever the car is not in use, it will need to be plugged in all the time and you will need to set departure timers to get some heat into the battery before using it. If the battery gets cold it will be slow to charge and if it gets to -30C you will need to wait until it warms up to charge your car.

Last edited:

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hello all,

IMHO Wait till you have a heated garage with its own level 2 charger. THATS what I have in cold NY and its a dream.

OP
OP
PorscheGG

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
more important than the cold climate, do you have the ability to install 240 electrical service to the car port? owning an EV without the ability to have a dedicated place to charge can be a difficult proposition. relying on public chargers will cost you a lot of time charging the car as needed.
Yes. I can install a 240v charger in the carport area. Thanks for the input all

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
The timers are an important point, you want to use shore power to heat up the battery before you leave in the morning.

I regularly park outside in a fairly cold environment (1700m elevation in the Alps) and don't see a lot of reduction in charge state when it's sitting there for a week+, but I have noticed that activating the car by going to get stuff and switching it on does use up come juice. I guess it starts heating the battery to prepare for you to leave. I've belatedly switched off the preheat on unlock setting but probably too late as its spring now.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
How about waiting until the house is close to finished.

OP
OP
PorscheGG

PorscheGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How about waiting until the house is close to finished.
I could wait, but buying it now is so tempting. From the responses above, it appears I can manage with the carport especially if I get it covered and have the 240v charge port.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I could wait, but buying it now is so tempting. From the responses above, it appears I can manage with the carport especially if I get it covered and have the 240v charge port.
There are a lot of reasons why regularly parking an electric car in those temperatures is a bad idea, plenty of scientific threads going into details. Lots of people still do it, but it's a bad idea.

So you should wait until your garage is built but it sure sounds like you're looking for validation on a decision you've already made rather than actual pros/cons. Which is fine, just don't be surprised when you run into issues, both short & long term.
Sponsored