Comfort Access - Very Short Range

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm finding that the Comfort Access (i.e., keyless entry) has a very short range. I really have to be close to the door to unlock and lock it. If I initially go to the car and pass the front rather than coming from the side, it seems to read the key in my pocket a little farther away. Anyone finding the same short range with the Taycan's keyless entry?
Sponsored

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Nope. My door handles present themselves when I am a few feet away from the car. This is the biggest distance a comfort access works on any of my cars. On most of my cars I need to be standing right at the door or even touch the handles first.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Yes, very short range!

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
It's not consistent for me.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
For me liking the range is nearly to far. If I pass the car and not intending to open it it will open. And then I have to dig out the key from my pocket and lock it again. I would be happy if it just opened when I touch the doorhandle and not before.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
For me liking the range is nearly to far. If I pass the car and not intending to open it it will open. And then I have to dig out the key from my pocket and lock it again. I would be happy if it just opened when I touch the doorhandle and not before.
It's supposed to lock itself when you get too far away. I'm not entirely sure if this feature works yet though. Haven't really tested it.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I think you should disable comfort access. Sounds to me like you don't need/want it.
If it does unlock when you pass by - just leave it. It will automatically lock again in 45 seconds.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are right. I do not need it and did not spec it as I bought a showroom car. I have waited a long time up to one night in the garage and the car did not lock itself. The key was on another part of the house during that time.Not seen if there is a setting for it, so for now I have just disabled it altogether. May come in very handy once I have started to use the car for more long distance driving.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
@Scandinavian If the car unlocks as you pass and you do not open the door, the doors should autolock after 60 seconds. However if the car unlocks as you pass, then you open a door, then the autolock is turned off. The car will remain unlocked.

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This sounds very much like the auto-door-handle-present feature on teslas that many turned off (myself included) after it was shown to be a security vulnerability. Thieves could use a simple repeater to unlock and steal your car.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I assume you also could relock it by touching the divot in the door handle but maybe you were already too far away.

Porsche Taycan Comfort Access - Very Short Range Screenshot_20200627-231126

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are correctit is all possible and just something to get used to. I never actually passed by the door of the car, just the rear left panel in a door opening when it opens. Just a bit of inconvenience but solved by not activating the system for now. Need to see if it automatically locks again if I do not touch the car or open a door?
For me it would have been fine with just opening once I touch one of the door handles and not when about 2 meters away from the drivers door. Small issue but just need to learn so that I do not leave the car unlocked by mistake ina public garage.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You are correctit is all possible and just something to get used to. I never actually passed by the door of the car, just the rear left panel in a door opening when it opens. Just a bit of inconvenience but solved by not activating the system for now. Need to see if it automatically locks again if I do not touch the car or open a door?
For me it would have been fine with just opening once I touch one of the door handles and not when about 2 meters away from the drivers door. Small issue but just need to learn so that I do not leave the car unlocked by mistake ina public garage.
Totally agree, I would be nervous too. May want to try disabling that proximity feature and I think you would still have the feature where it will unlock if you tap the door handle.
Note: If you disable it will also disable the trunk foot gesture and hood hand gesture I believe.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I assume you also could relock it by touching the divot in the door handle but maybe you were already too far away.

Screenshot_20200627-231126.png
It would be nice if it worked like this, but almost every time I am standing there repeatedly pushing the proximity sensor until it actually locks. I don't understand why it is such shit, especially when a loaner Macan works flawlessly.