Comments on my UK GTS Build

Binson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey GTS, BMW X5 4.0i M Sport,
Country flag
I'm going to place my GTS order this week after doing an amazing test drive yesterday - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ice-grey-taycan-club.2823/page-21#post-155841

Can I get some comments on my current build please:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP52ZW18 (edit: added B-pillars and rear axle steering, ditched charging cover)

I'm trying to be "sensible" cost-wise with the build and only speccing things I think I'll need i.e. trying to stay away from all the internal options that I won't even remember about, unless I get in someone else's Taycan and they have it, which is unlikely.

I also have stayed away from all the performance options as again it was an amazing car to drive in standard performance spec, and again I won't know the difference unless I drive someone else's - unlikely.

I liked the Race-Tex as it made a pleasant change from a leather interior, but I'm worried about maintenance - should I switch to leather with 2 kids (9&12) frequently in the car eating snacks etc? Will my local hand car wash know how to clean race-tex properly? Will I have to do some cleaning myself each week e.g. the steering wheel?

One option I'm dithering over is the HUD as I used it more on my test drive than I expected, but I think that might have been because I wasn't used to the Taycan screens, so I relied on it more during the test drive than I would as an owner who is familiar with the other screens. Plus, I will be using Android Auto a lot which I think reduces the amount of info available through the HUD (this is the case on my X5).

It's a company car purchase so resale value isn't very important, however for desirous options this does mean that they don't add a lot of cost to my monthly bill.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I had an X5 before and took delivery of my Taycan last week. In the X5 the hud was really important for me. The configuration of the Taycan makes the HUD less important. Speed en ACC info is on top of the screen and only a few cm away from the HUD info. I still do like it and don’t regret taking it. I also prefer the look of the dash with HUD.

OP
OP
Binson

Binson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had an X5 before and took delivery of my Taycan last week. In the X5 the hud was really important for me. The configuration of the Taycan makes the HUD less important. Speed en ACC info is on top of the screen and only a few cm away from the HUD info. I still do like it and don’t regret taking it. I also prefer the look of the dash with HUD.
Thanks. My typical use case in my X5 is to use if for navigation while the main screen is playing media, but I think having the passenger display will mean I can keep the nav on the main screen. Plus, I think you get some nav info on the dashboard behind the wheel?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Yes you can put a small map in the middel tube and Navi instruction will show in
The right tube. You can also put a big map in front if you.

I even found the Navi instructions to be a bit big and high. I might even considere to switch them off and only keep speed, speedlimit and ACC.

I used the HUD in myX5 the same way. Because I needed to look down on the center Navi display. The distance is much less in the Taycan. It is more in front of you

But I am still glad I took the HUD.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I'm going to place my GTS order this week after doing an amazing test drive yesterday - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ice-grey-taycan-club.2823/page-21#post-155841

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4I17I6 (edit: added B-pillars)

I'm trying to be "sensible" cost-wise with the build and only speccing things I think I'll need i.e. trying to stay away from all the internal options that I won't even remember about, unless I get in someone else's Taycan and they have it, which is unlikely.

I also have stayed away from all the performance options as again it was an amazing car to drive in standard performance spec, and again I won't know the difference unless I drive someone else's - unlikely.

I liked the Race-Tex as it made a pleasant change from a leather interior, but I'm worried about maintenance - should I switch to leather with 2 kids (9&12) frequently in the car eating snacks etc? Will my local hand car wash know how to clean race-tex properly? Will I have to do some cleaning myself each week e.g. the steering wheel?

One option I'm dithering over is the HUD as I used it more on my test drive than I expected, but I think that might have been because I wasn't used to the Taycan screens, so I relied on it more during the test drive than I would as an owner who is familiar with the other screens. Plus, I will be using Android Auto a lot which I think reduces the amount of info available through the HUD (this is the case on my X5).

It's a company car purchase so resale value isn't very important, however for desirous options this does mean that they don't add a lot of cost to my monthly bill.

Hi Binson,
I am awaiting a very similar GTS in June. My kids are 9 and 12! Spooky!

To follow on,

Don’t need the HUD for above reasons, also makes dash bulbous and odd.

Mine is Crayon, same wheels, roof, mirrors, rears bags and straight Race Tex trim. Lovely.

Here are the minor differences FWIW!

I have never noticed the steering being too heavy in a Taycan after having one for 18 months! Even with 21s.
Hey, if I’m wrong I can FoD it for £295 and be £90 worse off.
But I might be £200 better off!

I got the pan roof so I could fit roof bars., but THEN I found it makes the back much lighter and airy for the kids. For this reason I did not take privacy glass as this makes it darker and gloomier again!
I also prefer the silhouette without privacy(?!)

I definitely don’t want 4+1 seats. Like you I only have 2 kids and it changes the material pattern to the 14 way look so doesn’t match front seats!
You don’t even want your own kids messing up the back of Taycan!
Never mind other people’s!
Easier to see out of the back with no headrest! Or a head!

Ambient lighting reminds me of glow sticks at a 90s rave.

I prefer the cleaner lines of manual charge ports but I have left them open occasionally when driving off (idiot)
People do have problems with them…..

Passenger display is redundant and my kids constantly dicked about with it when in the front.
My Mrs totally disinterested in being a Copilot!

Bose underwhelms me and I am not a muso!

Surround view I find odd but it might save your Black Spyders so I might regret not having it.

I did get ACC as I drive to Europe for holidays as I don’t like flying.
I will get ALK with FoD
Won’t use it day to day.

Hope my 2p worth helps a bit?

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Rear axle steering is the biggest omission from your build imo. We have a lot of tight roads and tighter parking spots in the UK. Given the length of the car, rear axle steering could be a huge benefit.

I’d also recommend Adaptive Cruise Control to make motorway miles easier. It also add its additional hardware to give you more FoD options down the line.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4I17I6 (edit: added B-pillars)

Very similar to me.

Great rid of:
Passenger display - who really is going to use it and for what?
Electric charging cover - 500 quid seriously? Just press the flap. Just another thing that can go wrong and then you cannot charge.
Panoramic roof - I got this. Waste of money. The front passengers get no benefit. If you want to spend 1200 quid so your kids can see clouds all power to you. Speccing again I would not have it.

Get:
HUD - Must have. It’s brilliant and placed in the right part of the screen. My eyes are on the road 100% of the time. This is about sticking to the speed limit. The car has a tendency to make you go faster without realising as it is so smooth.
Rear axle steering - if you parallel park a lot then I would get it. I parallel park every day. It’s perfectly doable but anything that makes it easier is a bonus. Plus if you ditch the stuff above no incremental cost.

Keep:
4+1: in case dad taxi is doing a kids and friends run.
Park assist 360: brilliant and must have for parking or you will destroy the alloys. Guaranteed!

OP
OP
Binson

Binson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here are the minor differences FWIW!

I have never noticed the steering being too heavy in a Taycan after having one for 18 months! Even with 21s.
Hey, if I’m wrong I can FoD it for £295 and be £90 worse off.
But I might be £200 better off!
Thanks for the tip. Mine will be a company car so I don't think I will be "allowed" to make dealer changes though.

I definitely don’t want 4+1 seats. Like you I only have 2 kids and it changes the material pattern to the 14 way look so doesn’t match front seats!
You don’t even want your own kids messing up the back of Taycan!
Never mind other people’s!
Easier to see out of the back with no headrest! Or a head!
Unfortunately, my kids only live with me for part of the week so I'm finding more and more I'm carting their friends around as well - one of the advantages of ditching the X5 with the extra seats, is it'll only be +2 at a time rather than +4!!! I also like the 40:20:40 option with 4+1 which I'm convinced I will use as this will be my only car.

I got the pan roof so I could fit roof bars., but THEN I found it makes the back much lighter and airy for the kids. For this reason I did not take privacy glass as this makes it darker and gloomier again!
I also prefer the silhouette without privacy(?!)

Ambient lighting reminds me of glow sticks at a 90s rave.

I prefer the cleaner lines of manual charge ports but I have left them open occasionally when driving off (idiot)
People do have problems with them…..

Passenger display is redundant and my kids constantly dicked about with it when in the front.
My Mrs totally disinterested in being a Copilot!

Bose underwhelms me and I am not a muso!

Surround view I find odd but it might save your Black Spyders so I might regret not having it.
- Privacy is a must for me for looks
- I don't think I'll get away with not speccing passenger display as my son came with me on the test drive and loved it. The clever git even "sold" it to me, arguing that I would benefit from the extra screen when he's not with me!
- Bose is a must and was very clear sound wise , although the bass wasn't as good as on my previous Porsches (there was an easy fix on my Cayman - putting a pillow in the sub).
- Surround view - think of the tyres! Also saves any embarrassment doing something silly in an expensive car when there's onlookers

Potential items to drop:
- the charging port - I will be charging mainly at home overnight, so any hassle opening will be private. I anticipate public charging no more than once per week, so I need to consider if the "convenience" is worth the price of a coffee each time, particularly if no-one is around to see me "showing off"......
- Ambient: this was a given for me as I love it in my X5, but on reflection that's because the lights are in the roof as well(see below). The lights in my X5 also seem much more extensive -my son and I could barely see the lights in the GTS. I'm going to go back to the dealer to see if I was missing a setting somewhere, but I might drop these as they seemed poor in the Taycan.

Does anyone have a good pic of the ambients in a Taycan?

Porsche Taycan Comments on my UK GTS Build 1652008565246

I will get ALK with FoD
What's ALK?

OP
OP
Binson

Binson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rear axle steering is the biggest omission from your build imo. We have a lot of tight roads and tighter parking spots in the UK. Given the length of the car, rear axle steering could be a huge benefit.

I’d also recommend Adaptive Cruise Control to make motorway miles easier. It also add its additional hardware to give you more FoD options down the line.
Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to check if the the test car had rear steering - if not I'm not going to add. I found it much easier to drive and manoeuvre than my X5.

ACC is an interesting one. Does it do full emergency stopping, or is this standard or available elsewhere? I have this on my X5 and although it's never fully activated, I do like knowing it's there and the warnings to brake have been useful on a few occassions

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Full and excellent ACC review here

I like Mutant recommending 4W steer for the manoeuvring and parking benefits.
Not imaginary high speed handling benefits.
RWS includes Power Steering Plus so if you do want that there is some man maths justification right there!

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Thanks for the tip. Mine will be a company car so I don't think I will be "allowed" to make dealer changes though.

Unfortunately, my kids only live with me for part of the week so I'm finding more and more I'm carting their friends around as well - one of the advantages of ditching the X5 with the extra seats, is it'll only be +2 at a time rather than +4!!! I also like the 40:20:40 option with 4+1 which I'm convinced I will use as this will be my only car.

- Privacy is a must for me for looks
- I don't think I'll get away with not speccing passenger display as my son came with me on the test drive and loved it. The clever git even "sold" it to me, arguing that I would benefit from the extra screen when he's not with me!
- Bose is a must and was very clear sound wise , although the bass wasn't as good as on my previous Porsches (there was an easy fix on my Cayman - putting a pillow in the sub).
- Surround view - think of the tyres! Also saves any embarrassment doing something silly in an expensive car when there's onlookers

Potential items to drop:
- the charging port - I will be charging mainly at home overnight, so any hassle opening will be private. I anticipate public charging no more than once per week, so I need to consider if the "convenience" is worth the price of a coffee each time, particularly if no-one is around to see me "showing off"......
- Ambient: this was a given for me as I love it in my X5, but on reflection that's because the lights are in the roof as well(see below). The lights in my X5 also seem much more extensive -my son and I could barely see the lights in the GTS. I'm going to go back to the dealer to see if I was missing a setting somewhere, but I might drop these as they seemed poor in the Taycan.

Does anyone have a good pic of the ambients in a Taycan?

1652008565246.png

What's ALK?
ALK is Active Lane Keeping.
it is part of factory fit Innodrive.
An upgrade to the useful and standard
Lane Keep Assist.
Same video above!
On FoD it is available separately and is the most useful bit of Innodrive for long distance cruising.

I was going to say in my first post everyone with a Taycan has another 5 seater so forget 4+1.
Then the single parent scenario occurred to me. Of course in that situation 4+1 is a must. 👍
The 40.20.40 is a bonus
Good luck!
When is it coming?

OP
OP
Binson

Binson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When is it coming?
I'm not sure. The dealer checked the Porsche system yesterday and said that the current wait time is 12-14 months....this will be my 3rd Porsche and they are always late - 4 months for my first.

I'll be starting my order with Octupus tomorrow - they claim to have build slots already secured because they order so many EV cars, so I might get lucky.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Mine is with Octopus
I'm not sure. The dealer checked the Porsche system yesterday and said that the current wait time is 12-14 months....this will be my 3rd Porsche and they are always late - 4 months for my first.

I'll be starting my order with Octupus tomorrow - they claim to have build slots already secured because they order so many EV cars, so I might get lucky.
Mine is with Octopus. The sales team were in a few weeks ago so I asked about the current wait for a Taycan. The reply was 70 weeks. I signed mid Aug 21 delivered 1st week of Jan 22. I was well lucky.

OP
OP
Binson

Binson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine is with Octopus. The sales team were in a few weeks ago so I asked about the current wait for a Taycan. The reply was 70 weeks. I signed mid Aug 21 delivered 1st week of Jan 22. I was well lucky.
Thanks - that's useful to know that they might be telling the truth about build slots and that I might be similarly lucky. Fingers crossed.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Mine is with Octopus

5 months is excellent..
What model by the way?
I think a GTS in 5 months with Putin in Ukraine might be a stretch!
Octopus are a sound company
They are my energy supplier
They only do salary sacrifice company cars so couldn’t help me and my Ltd Co buy a Taycan otherwise I would use them!
Sponsored

Last edited: