[Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Polestar 2
Country flag
Hey there,

First of all I work for a high end collision center in the east bay area, so I know what I'm doing and I get crazy low prices as an employee.
Well... here we go.

I bought my Taycan Certified Pre Owned, 5k miles back in December, so it already had rock chips. So I decided to drive it and wait to pursue repair once it was more worth it, the time has arrived. I also decided to refinish most of the texturized parts to make it look more premium, texture on a brand new car looks okay but it does not look high end and eventually it will look chalky.

Our place also does PPF, so once we're done, I will be having them apply PPF on the front end and rocker panel moldings.

Ready for my adventure?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Disassemble, as a quality place, vehicle must always be disassembled. And any one-time use component must be replaced. Here my co-worker removing all parts that will get some love.

Doors need to me removed to be able to remove rocker moldings.

Charging port on the driver side is a one time use, so I order the part. $67.09.
Ordered all parts needed, such as the emblem, nuts for the emblem, rear seal clip for fender, rocker panel molding clips, and fender liner rivets.

Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1774
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1819
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1821

Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1827

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So we're not a Porsche certified shop, we're an Audi, BMW, and Tesla certified collision center.

Tech is Audi certified, basically he confirms etron GT and Taycan are very similar in their disassemble process, but thankfully Porsche uses less adhesives. Audi loves double sided tape making most of their parts one time use.

Disassemble for HV components, very similar to Tesla and etrons.

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Disassemble is easy. Paint is when it becomes tricky, especially because the hard texturized panels need to be sanded down to a fine texture, and then primed.

Rock chip repairs are easy, just need some feather, block and prime.

So my colleagues from paint department don't like me too much lol, don't worry, they're getting paid several hours for their work. It's just a pain in the ass to sand down to a fine surface.

Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1855
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1857
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1859
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1895

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Parts are now in primer. Notice that in the rear bumper, we're painting the top textured part but not the middle. I hope you guys can notice that.

If not, I'll just create a scribble to point out what we're painting.

Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1860
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1861
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1866
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1869
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1871
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1893
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1894
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF IMG_1892

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Painting factory paint under 10k miles due to rock chips?
Yikes........
I think the plastic parts painted will look great....... Are you doing those in gloss black or body color?
Did you already have PPF done to the front end? I seem to recall you had already had it done? Or going to have it done now after this is finished?
How long is all this taking to do and whats your out of pocket given that you work there?
Looks good.......

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yikes........
I think the plastic parts painted will look great....... Are you doing those in gloss black or body color?
Did you already have PPF done to the front end? I seem to recall you had already had it done? Or going to have it done now after this is finished?
How long is all this taking to do and whats your out of pocket given that you work there?
Looks good.......
Gloss black, all to match OEM standards.
I did not have PPF.
2 weeks.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Yikes........
Yep! This is why I preach getting PPF on new cars. In less than ~1000 miles I already have small pits in my windshield film and bumper and hood film. Debris is constantly flying all over in the wild and damage will occur for every car - not IF. Glass is susceptible as well.

I was sitting still on the road and got paint damage on the 2020 Tesla. Stopped making a left turn an impatient driver in a truck went around me and slung a rock at the right quarter panel. Boom - paint chip.

OP
OP
jenzfc

jenzfc

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep! This is why I preach getting PPF on new cars. In less than ~1000 miles I already have small pits in my windshield film and bumper and hood film. Debris is constantly flying all over in the wild and damage will occur for every car - not IF. Glass is susceptible as well.

I was sitting still on the road and got paint damage on the 2020 Tesla. Stopped making a left turn an impatient driver in a truck went around me and slung a rock at the right quarter panel. Boom - paint chip.
Me too. PPF is a must, but then you see most people going with ceramic coating when it's just BS glorified wax. PPF is the way. I was not the original owner, so that's why I had to end up doing this.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Me too. PPF is a must, but then you see most people going with ceramic coating when it's just BS glorified wax. PPF is the way. I was not the original owner, so that's why I had to end up doing this.
Full PPF from new. My fleet always looks new. :fist bump:
Porsche Taycan [Completed] Refinishing all the textured parts, front end for rock chips, then PPF PPF & ceramic

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
So you don't offer ceramic coating at your bodyshop then i guess? :)

Last edited: