Confusion about charging cards(Europe)

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
When you receive your Taycan you also get a charging card from Porsche with your vehicle. I assume all the charging locations listed in the Porsche navigation system work with this card? They mention having around 100.000 charging points in Europe.

There are also a lot of other companies that provide these charging cards, but what's the difference/advantage? Is the main difference that they have more charging locations available in their platform. And how do you decide which one is the best.

My main concern is not when I'm driving in my own or surrounding countries, but when I go on holiday. For example on Porsches charging locations map there are a lot less locations in Italy in comparison to some other providers.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I believe the min difference is the pricing structure. Porsche have in my experience been much cheaper than some third party supplier of cards. Especially when you use the Ionity chargers. But there are also other networks that you can subscribe to with favourable pricing structure.

In one case the Porsche card will charge 0.33 Euro per kWh while Charge map will charge 0.86 Euro per kWh. 0.79 Euro is the Ionity drive in price and the additional 10% is the margin for the card provider.

Check the rates before you travel and connect Is what is advised!

And with 0.86 Euro per kWh it would be cheaper to travel with a thirsty BMW M5!
Imaging the difference to a modern frugal hybrid car then!

Last edited:
OP
OP

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I believe the min difference is the pricing structure. Porsche have in my experience been much cheaper than some third party supplier of cards. Especially when you use the Ionity chargers. But there are also other networks that you can subscribe to with favourable pricing structure.

In one case the Porsche card will charge 0.33 Euro per kWh while Charge map will charge 0.86 Euro per kWh. 0.79 Euro is the Ionity drive in price and the additional 10% is the margin for the card provider.

Check the rates before you travel and connect Is what is advised!
Thanks

95% of the time I will use the charger at my company or at home, but the other 5% can give a real headache.

I'm interested how EV owners handle this. For example when I would drive to France or Italy and I would stay in a hotel that has charging stations, am I always able to use them or do I need the specific card from their provider.

Do you guys have multiple cards for more coverage?
Sponsored

Last edited: