Consensus on proper maintenance of the 12V battery while on vacation?

spicyypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (ordered)
Country flag
I'm going on a vacation and my Taycan will be sitting in the garage for a little over 2 weeks.

The manual states:
  • Make sure the charge level is at 20-50% while the vehicle is left standing (e.g. via charging profile)
  • If possible, connect to the "mains supply" (EVSE) for trickle charging.
However, the service department at my dealer suggested to use a trickle charger and strongly advised against the manual's advice of leaving it plugged in at 20-50%. To get clarification on this, I called Porsche and they also repeated my dealer's suggestion of using a trickle charger for that period of time.

I searched the forums and saw a mixed bag of suggestions - from leaving it plugged in at 20-50%, to leaving it unplugged around 50%, and also to using a trickle charger. I'm inclined to go with the manual's suggestion, but now I feel even more unsure due to the conflicting advice from my service department and PCNA.

Just trying to avoid coming home to a dead 12V battery. Anyone have thoughts or experience on this?
Sponsored

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I'm going on a vacation and my Taycan will be sitting in the garage for a little over 2 weeks.

The manual states:
  • Make sure the charge level is at 20-50% while the vehicle is left standing (e.g. via charging profile)
However, the service department at my dealer suggested to use a trickle charger and strongly advised against the manual's advice of leaving it plugged in at 20-50%. To get clarification on this, I called Porsche and they also repeated my dealer's suggestion of using a trickle charger for that period of time.

I searched the forums and saw a mixed bag of suggestions - from leaving it plugged in at 20-50%, to leaving it unplugged around 50%, and also to using a trickle charger. I'm inclined to go with the manual's suggestion, but now I feel even more unsure due to the conflicting advice from my service department and PCNA.

Just trying to avoid coming home to a dead 12V battery. Anyone have thoughts or experience on this?
I've been charging the car to 50% and using a trickle charger plugged into the OBD in the winter when I don't drive the car and unplug the charger. I leave the frunk open just in case there's a 12V problem, but never have had one. My 4S was delivered 8-20. I see minimum loss on the main battery while it's unplugged.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Use a trickle charger and in any case, leave your frunck open in case of problems.
I couldn’t restart the car after just 4 days at the airport in the freezing cold.
Porsche said that something was draining the 12V but nothing was plugged except an iPhone cable without the phone in the usb-c.
The car was at 75% SOC but underground with a bad network connection and ne that might also be a factor.
Anyway this should never happen if the software was properly written.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

The manual states:

For such a short time there is no need to do anything.

For longer periods follow the guidance in the manual. Dealer knowledge is incredibly limited in my experience.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have always charged my car to 100% every day for the last 3 years. Left it for weeks at the airport or in the garage. After 3 years not lost one mile of range.
Treat it like it’s a washing machine and you’ll be fine.
Good advice!

I would give a more extended reply but I have to finish polishing and waxing my wash machine's chromed door arch.

Be back later! 😎

Check out these leds

Porsche Taycan Consensus on proper maintenance of the 12V battery while on vacation? LG_Twin_Wash_System_500.0.0.1420478459

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I've been charging the car to 50% and using a trickle charger plugged into the OBD in the winter when I don't drive the car and unplug the charger. I leave the frunk open just in case there's a 12V problem, but never have had one. My 4S was delivered 8-20. I see minimum loss on the main battery while it's unplugged.
I do not have cell service in my garage at all

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
For such a short time there is no need to do anything.

For longer periods follow the guidance in the manual. Dealer knowledge is incredibly limited in my experience.
We were away for 2 weeks and returned to a dead car.

I've now got a Porsche Lithium trickle charger (looks like the CTEK one) and will use that next time we're away.

It comes with a cigarette lighter fitting, but I believe these are disconnected when the car is turned off. To be sure I'll connect it direct to the battery and leave the frunk open, inside the garage.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag

The manual states:

Left my 4S last year for six weeks when i was in europe with an SOC of 85% and after I returned it was 84% and the lithium battery had not changed at all and was 12.4 Volts like it always is.There is so much nonsense being written about this lithium battery that I laugh everytime time i see a post on this issue because in my opinion there is no problem leaving your car unused for months at a time.The state of charge number is also irrelevant as long as it is above 30-40% to be safe

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Left my 4S last year for six weeks when i was in europe with an SOC of 85% and after I returned it was 84% and the lithium battery had not changed at all and was 12.4 Volts like it always is.There is so much nonsense being written about this lithium battery that I laugh everytime time i see a post on this issue because in my opinion there is no problem leaving your car unused for months at a time.The state of charge number is also irrelevant as long as it is above 30-40% to be safe
I wish that was always the case. You're basically saying that you crossed intersection XYZ without having an accident albeit that intersection is marked as an accident prone area.

It just means you didn't have an accident. Doesn't mean that nobody else will.

There are several reported cases of shorter absences where the car just died. There are also reports that a Porsche update somehow improved the situation but it isn't completely solved as long as they keep insisting on only charging the 12V 8 times max between states 15 (readiness to drive).

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
Yeah use a trickle charger for lithium ion batteries, charge left over 20% and leave the bonnet/front trunk open.

My 12v battery ran down, I got it charged again but so many warnings came on I had to get it picked up on a truck and sent to the dealer.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
We were away for 2 weeks and returned to a dead car.

I've now got a Porsche Lithium trickle charger (looks like the CTEK one) and will use that next time we're away.

It comes with a cigarette lighter fitting, but I believe these are disconnected when the car is turned off. To be sure I'll connect it direct to the battery and leave the frunk open, inside the garage.
I remember this which is unfortunate but I've not had this issue. It may be symptomatic of another issue (it's a Taycan afterall).

EVs should be treated no different to ICE vehicles - the average punter is blissfully unaware of what they need to do and this should be no different IMHO.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I installed the c-tek battery monitor in my current ice car while waiting for the taycan.

I was shocked to find that, after two weeks of 24/7 monitoring, that despite my daily commutes, my battery is never charged beyond 36% and that near end of the work week (Thursdays/Fridays) the charge is as low as 11%. Only with my weekend's driving around to nearby towns etc, charges slowly the battery to 30-36%.

I always had the idea my 12v battery was always charged at 100%. I guess I was wrong.

This means that it's entirely possible that the taycan's 12v battery might be, depending on usage and driving behaviour, in a much lower state of charge then what we assume when the car is put on storage for a couple of days / weeks.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche TSB Parking or Storing the Taycan March 14, 2022
When parking or storing a Taycan for a prolonged period of time, the customer recommendations and procedures in the Owner’s Manual and other customer-facing documentation may be unclear or difficult to understand.

As a Battery Electric Vehicle, specific procedures are recommended to ensure vehicle operation and to reduce the aging and wear and tear of the 12-volt and high-voltage batteries.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Porsche TSB Parking or Storing the Taycan March 14, 2022
When parking or storing a Taycan for a prolonged period of time, the customer recommendations and procedures in the Owner’s Manual and other customer-facing documentation may be unclear or difficult to understand.

As a Battery Electric Vehicle, specific procedures are recommended to ensure vehicle operation and to reduce the aging and wear and tear of the 12-volt and high-voltage batteries.
This is excellent and direct source to hopefully everyone agrees we need to follow.
I am not happy that as owners we need to worry about this and need to remember or set reminders for ourselves to babysit the 12v battery, but I can tell you after my Cayenne 12v battery discharged while a shop was working on a door hinge and then relay closed to make it totally dead, seeing the $3,500+ (corrected, see evidence) estimate to replace it, would make anyone pay attention to this topic.
My 15-year-old exceptionally cared for Acura could not start due to the battery, so I jumped it, and an hour later, the Acura dealer got me a new one for $175 with a 100-month warranty << - that I can live with.

Porsche Taycan Consensus on proper maintenance of the 12V battery while on vacation? 1676514372877
Sponsored

Last edited: