Considering GTS Upgrade - Brake Question: stopping power, dust level, replacement mileage longevity?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've currently got a Cherry base with 21" Mission E, PSCB, PB+ and most of the quality of life options you'd want.

I am considering an upgrade to a Carmine Red GTS which has a really good build except for one thing - I'm not in love with the wheels, and don't like that it doesn't have PSCBs.

I have greatly enjoyed the complete lack of brake dust on my PSCBs. I've put 28K on them and they still aren't anywhere near replacement.

I've done Porsche's steel brakes on previous cars and generally have to do pads and rotors every 20K or so. And they are never clean.

I guess I am looking for feedback on these plain-jane brakes as used on a Taycan...maybe not as big of a deal since so much braking is done by regen?

• How's your stopping power?
  • How's the dust?
  • Has anyone had to replace pads or rotors yet, and at what mileage?
Sponsored

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Hey Derek,

I have a 2021 Base with stock brakes with the 20" Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels. 15K miles.
Installer of the GTechniq Ceramic threw in ceramic coating the wheels but I have no idea how effective it is or was. The car has never been tracked so I don't know that side of braking, wear, and dust.

In our regular driving:

-Never any stopping issue or lack of confidence that the brakes would stop the car if needed.

-The brake dust accumulation on both front and rear wheels is extremely minor. (I have a Boxster S and I know brake dust all too well). Most times when I wash the car, I'd have to look very carefully to even see any dust..

- Pads and rotor nowhere near needing service or replacement

OhRichman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 718 Boxster
Country flag
Hey Derek,

I have a 2021 Base with stock brakes with the 20" Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels. 15K miles.
Installer of the GTechniq Ceramic threw in ceramic coating the wheels but I have no idea how effective it is or was. The car has never been tracked so I don't know that side of braking, wear, and dust.

In our regular driving:

-Never any stopping issue or lack of confidence that the brakes would stop the car if needed.

-The brake dust accumulation on both front and rear wheels is extremely minor. (I have a Boxster S and I know brake dust all too well). Most times when I wash the car, I'd have to look very carefully to even see any dust..

- Pads and rotor nowhere near needing service or replacement
I'll second these comments. I have a Taycan GTS with the standard breaks as well as a 718 Boxster. My Boxster has break dust on the wheels after nearly every drive. My Taycan has almost no break dust. I assume the regenerative breaking keeps the pads from being used except in rare instances. With that said, my Taycan wheels are black, so it would be harder to see the break dust than on my Boxster wheels.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
+1 as above - was fairly astonished TBH at the lack of break dust (albeit before as a newbie owner realizing how much braking was done by motors) and cleaning is seriously so much more enjoyable!

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Whispering to self "do not be the spelling nazi, do not be the spelling nazi" just like I whisper to myself when I hear people saying "Porsh" rather than "Porsche" (do not be the pronunciation nazi, do not be the pronunciation nazi).

I think it's happy hour.

ps. I’ve only ever had PCCBs. I looked on Suncoast Parts but they do not offer brake upgrade kits

Porsche Taycan Considering GTS Upgrade - Brake Question: stopping power, dust level, replacement mileage longevity? 4F8F7C86-8DED-496E-BE56-49284F941F0E

Porsche Taycan Considering GTS Upgrade - Brake Question: stopping power, dust level, replacement mileage longevity? 840FEA7E-E61E-4B54-B8EC-EE584C13BD3D

Last edited:

bgatxy1

First Name
b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, RRS, Taycan4S
Country flag
My only complaint with regular brakes and black wheels/black barrels: after a wash if you do not completely blow dry or dry off the rotors, surface rust will be converted to rust dust on your next drive because for the first x miles/minutes the calipers/pads are used for braking. That rust dust is noticeable until you blow it or clean it off. From there, very minimal wheel or wheel barrel brake dust is noticeable.

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
Whispering to self "do not be the spelling nazi, do not be the spelling nazi" just like I whisper to myself when I hear people saying "Porsh" rather than "Porsche" (do not be the pronunciation nazi, do not be the pronunciation nazi).

I think it's happy hour.

ps. I’ve only ever had PCCBs. I looked on Suncoast Parts but they do not offer brake upgrade kits

4F8F7C86-8DED-496E-BE56-49284F941F0E.jpeg

840FEA7E-E61E-4B54-B8EC-EE584C13BD3D.jpeg
Is it really breaking you apart? :)

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My only complaint with regular brakes and black wheels/black barrels: after a wash if you do not completely blow dry or dry off the rotors, surface rust will be converted to rust dust on your next drive because for the first x miles/minutes the calipers/pads are used for braking. That rust dust is noticeable until you blow it or clean it off. From there, very minimal wheel or wheel barrel brake dust is noticeable.
I always dry off my car with blower but all you need to do then is, before you wipe down/polish the wheels, simply back out your driveway braking lightly and same in return braking and rotors are shiny clean - take a a couple of minutes. Usually minimal rust dust left to clean off in my experience.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag

I think it's happy hour.

4F8F7C86-8DED-496E-BE56-49284F941F0E.jpeg

840FEA7E-E61E-4B54-B8EC-EE584C13BD3D.jpeg
I like everything about you and your posts, other than the orange watch strap.

Sorry.