Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hello -

New member here, love the forum so far.

I bought a 2020 911 Carrera S about 13 months ago and I absolutely love it. With that said, I live in Colorado and I find that I'm hesitant to drive it in icy or snowing conditions...not sure if I should be. Anyway, with used car prices where they are I've been considering trading in the 911 for pretty much what I paid for it last year and getting a 2021 Taycan Turbo instead. I only have another year or so before my wife and I are empty nesters but I love the additional storage, a usable backseat and of course all the benefits EV's offer. At the same time, the Turbo is equal or even quicker than the 911.

Curious if anyone else on here as done something similar and the pros and cons I need to consider. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Your Carrera is only going to go up in value. I'd hold onto to it, or sell it to me--cheap!
the taycan will not perform all that differently in snow if your 911 was an awd

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Your Carrera is only going to go up in value. I'd hold onto to it, or sell it to me--cheap!
Why do you think that? It's not like 911s aren't being made anymore. Do you see 993s, 996s, and 997s going up that much in value? Maybe if the 992 is kept in a garage and has less than 5k mi in 15 years, or become a collector's item, then maybe it'll be substantially go up.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Why do you think that?
because demand for that car is super strong and that will trickle down to the newer preowned cars. fo he-ha's take your car into the dealership or a car max type place and see what their offers are.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why do you think that? It's not like 911s aren't being made anymore. Do you see 993s, 996s, and 997s going up that much in value? Maybe if the 992 is kept in a garage and has less than 5k mi in 15 years, or become a collector's item, then maybe it'll be substantially go up.
Just go online and look at the prices 911s are going for. Used, 2017-2020 911s are maybe 10-15% less expensive than new ones, if that. Craigslist, Carvana, etc. aren't much different than Porsche’s own pre-owned Porsche finder:

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/search/list?modelSeriesKeys=911

911s are hot shit because you can hardly find them, new or used. And 993s have become the great white whale of Porsches, with prices hitting surreal levels.

Last edited:
OP
OP

hail

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I appreciate the feedback.

A couple additions, the 911 is RWD, not AWD. We got a ton of snow last winter and it was in the garage for what felt like months on end.

Also the dealer is offering 98% or 98 cents on the dollar in a trade in from what I paid (not including the tax credits on the Taycan). They also recently sold another lightly used 911 Carrera S like mine for 10k more than the MSRP. That market is red hot right now.

As I said above, I love the 911 and I honestly have very little doubt it will do a much better at holding it's value than the Taycan. As shortsighted as this might be, it's more about getting top dollar for my "used" car when the market is hot and getting something in return that equals the performance while adding what I perceive to be added functionality. I was hoping people that have gone from a 911 to a Taycan or people that own both cars could tell me what I'm missing, if anything.

I've changed my mind 40 times on what I should do in the last 3 weeks.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I appreciate the feedback.

A couple additions, the 911 is RWD, not AWD. We got a ton of snow last winter and it was in the garage for what felt like months on end.

Also the dealer is offering 98% or 98 cents on the dollar in a trade in from what I paid (not including the tax credits on the Taycan). They also recently sold another lightly used 911 Carrera S like mine for 10k more than the MSRP. That market is red hot right now.

As I said above, I love the 911 and I honestly have very little doubt it will do a much better at holding it's value than the Taycan. As shortsighted as this might be, it's more about getting top dollar for my "used" car when the market is hot and getting something in return that equals the performance while adding what I perceive to be added functionality. I was hoping people that have gone from a 911 to a Taycan or people that own both cars could tell me what I'm missing, if anything.

I've changed my mind 40 times on what I should do in the last 3 weeks.
Let's see some pics of the 911.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I've owned several 911's in the past 10 years (991.1 4S, 991.2 GT3) along with a Cayman S and a Panamera Hybrid. I live down in Manitou Springs so we have similar weather.

My 991.1 4S with winter tires was a blast in the snow. I used to take it up to Copper Mountain to go skiing. It had no problem in bad weather except if the snow go really deep. The GT3 I kept in the garage all winter, same with the Cayman.

As my family grew to three kids I found I was driving the 911's less and less, so I wanted a four door sports car. I tried the Panamera and never fell in love with it. The seating position is much more like a typical sedan, and it honestly felt more luxury than sports car.

During this time the other cars in our garage were all EV's (Tesla, Nissan Leaf, i3) and I really enjoyed the EV's as daily drivers and the instant acceleration. Once I saw the Mission E concept (Taycan) I was pretty convinced this was going to be the best of everything I love about EV's combined with a real Porsche driving experience.

After 7000 miles with my Turbo S I'm happy to say I'm completely in love with the car. It lives up to everything I was expecting. It's amazing around town, on road trips, and on backroads. I would argue it's more fun on the road than a 911. The only time a 911 would be better is on the track. I drove my Taycan last fall on a road rally through Colorado with a group of Ferrari's and I had just as much fun as they did. Honestly I could out accelerate any of them coming out of a corner.

You'll miss the engine sound and shifting (especially if you have a manual), but once you get used to the smooth instant acceleration, silent motoring, and the low center of gravity, it will be hard to go back. I've said that if I get another 911 in the future, it will be a classic, not a modern 911. I'll be buying one for the old classic sports car feel, not speed.

Here are some pictures, because they make everything more exciting. :)
Porsche Taycan Considering trading in my 2020 Carrera S for a Taycan Turbo IMG_7157.JPG

Porsche Taycan Considering trading in my 2020 Carrera S for a Taycan Turbo IMG_0409

Porsche Taycan Considering trading in my 2020 Carrera S for a Taycan Turbo 30725208_10216211373257459_4362605677927989248_o

Porsche Taycan Considering trading in my 2020 Carrera S for a Taycan Turbo IMG_0662

Porsche Taycan Considering trading in my 2020 Carrera S for a Taycan Turbo IMG_3121

Porsche Taycan Considering trading in my 2020 Carrera S for a Taycan Turbo IMG_3107

Last edited:
OP
OP

hail

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Here is a quick picture that I could find.

Porsche Taycan Considering trading in my 2020 Carrera S for a Taycan Turbo IMG_0942 - Copy

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I traded in a 991.1 Targa on my Taycan.

Not gonna lie, for the first couple days I was like “what have I done?”

But now I’m really happy with it and enjoying EV life. No regrets.

I will say though, if they make a 2 door EV I will upgrade that very day. I hate the ingress/egress with the 4 door. It’s too tight of a squeeze.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm looking forward to getting our Taycan 4S in about a month (trading in a Panamera Turbo), but would not consider giving up my 911 for it. Both are great cars to drive, but "there is no substitute" for the 911.

kailifish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have been daily-ing a 997 turbo for a few years, and switched to the Taycan Turbo S.

Mostly following the same rationale as you, as fiance and I are planning for a kid soon-ish. Not gonna lie, at the beginning i had some buyer's remorse, the Taycan is way faster than the 997, but it lacked some "flavor" without the engine/turbo spooling/shifting, and I was even a little uncomfortable when running the hills. But after just under 3000km, the car gives me a lot of confidence in curvy roads, and the instant torque just always puts a smile on my face.

I credit some of it also to the upgraded interior/PCM (from the 997), but even driving the 992 C2s as a loaner last week, I can confidently say the fun factor is very close to a 911. Plus usable backseats/space/golf clubs etc.

Jaybo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
We went from 2015 Carerra S (Not quite as fast as your S) to 2021 Taycan Turbo and while I miss the NA sound... that is a distant memory when you floor the Taycan... I am still in AWE of the instant speed and it's an absolute blast coming out of corners IMO...Probably checks all your other boxes as well. Test Drive it and see what you think!
Sponsored