First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Hi guys,

I’ve covered approx 650km so far but the range so far has been appalling. Temperature is about -12C to -20C. When I got in the car and took a 25km drive (battery temp at -10 on start, outside temp -22C) I averaged 48.8kwh/100km. I had a preheat for about 10min and about 10min wait during the trip. So:

1) is the heating really making so much big difference? This is MY2021 with the heat pump.

2) is there so “drive-in” distance that has to be performed until the car gets a proper range?

3) I speced Performance Battery plus (4s), is there a way to actually check if that has been installed?

car has 19”, winter tyres, insulated windows.

Porsche Taycan Consumption BF4FB74F-BDD6-47C6-92FB-026D7A08B51A

Porsche Taycan Consumption 05E89C29-4ECC-49B2-B93D-E9014AE3CCEE

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
That’s not great efficiency but by my experience in the UK cold (so far the coldest around 0 to -1C) I was showing around 1.9 miles/KwH. If I’ve got my calculations right that’s around 33KwH/100Km. And in your much colder temperature I would expect worse efficiency.

compared to temperatures of 8-10C where my consumption drops to around 27/100km. Based on that I’d say your consumption is disappointing but not overly concerning.

The easiest way I could think of checking battery size is if you have a home charger with an app that shows your usage per charge. Next time you charge it note what percentage you charged the battery e.g. if you charged 50% how many Kw did that take? Multiply kwh up by the percentage charge and you’ll get some idea of the battery size. Not entirely accurate but I’d have thought enough to know if you have the performance battery.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It’s all about battery temperature. If I start with a battery temp of about 12C or less, my consumption is around the 45-50 kWh/100miles level for around the first 30 miles or so before it begins to settle down.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi guys,

I’ve covered approx 650km so far but the range so far has been appalling. Temperature is about -12C to -20C. When I got in the car and took a 25km drive (battery temp at -10 on start, outside temp -22C) I averaged 48.8kwh/100km. I had a preheat for about 10min and about 10min wait during the trip. So:

1) is the heating really making so much big difference? This is MY2021 with the heat pump.

2) is there so “drive-in” distance that has to be performed until the car gets a proper range?

3) I speced Performance Battery plus (4s), is there a way to actually check if that has been installed?

car has 19”, winter tyres, insulated windows.
The consumption is so dependent on the battery temperature. If you only drive for 25 km it is not getting much heat into the battery. Remember that the battery has a mass of some 700 kg or thereabouts. It will require a lot of energy to heat that mass. Not sure how much heat can be generated for the battery but my guess is between 5 to 7 kW.

Try a much longer trip if you can say 150 km and see how the consumption develops. And also look at the battery temperature during that drive.

If you have the possibility to plug in the car and charge it and also preheat the car with a good charger say 7 to 11 kW try that. However I believe the battery preheat only works when you set a timer for charging and pre heating. So you must feel confident about doing that, with all the discussions on the 12 volt issues?? I have not been successful in pre heating the battery in any other manner.
Then drive the same route as above and see the difference.

Good luck and keep us informed about progress.

exav8tor

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
Country flag
The variance in consumption, similar to ICE, can vary significantly depending upon outside temperature, internal battery temperature, internal load ( air con, heated seats etc.), drive mode/style and length of journey.

Below are my best case, worse case and average over 2500 miles, covering both summer and winter driving from July 2020 to today.

Note this is for a 4s with performance plus battery and as a side note charge to 80% currently shows around 200 miles with summer generally showing around 250 miles.

Porsche Taycan Consumption worst - Copy
Porsche Taycan Consumption best - Copy
Porsche Taycan Consumption average - Copy

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
That’s not great efficiency but by my experience in the UK cold (so far the coldest around 0 to -1C) I was showing around 1.9 miles/KwH. If I’ve got my calculations right that’s around 33KwH/100Km. And in your much colder temperature I would expect worse efficiency.

compared to temperatures of 8-10C where my consumption drops to around 27/100km. Based on that I’d say your consumption is disappointing but not overly concerning.

The easiest way I could think of checking battery size is if you have a home charger with an app that shows your usage per charge. Next time you charge it note what percentage you charged the battery e.g. if you charged 50% how many Kw did that take? Multiply kwh up by the percentage charge and you’ll get some idea of the battery size. Not entirely accurate but I’d have thought enough to know if you have the performance battery.
Edit to replace the joys of using a phone with clumsy fingers:

If you divide the kWh used to charge (use the Taycan display) by the difference between STOP %SOC and START %SOC, you calculate a fairly accurate usable battery capacity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jancha

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
The variance in consumption, similar to ICE, can vary significantly depending upon outside temperature, internal battery temperature, internal load ( air con, heated seats etc.), drive mode/style and length of journey.

Below are my best case, worse case and average over 2500 miles, covering both summer and winter driving from July 2020 to today.

Note this is for a 4s with performance plus battery and as a side note charge to 80% currently shows around 200 miles with summer generally showing around 250 miles.

worst - Copy.png
best - Copy.png
average - Copy.png
Did another run today, currently -12c outside, but the battery was still warm at about 10c.

Reset the trip metrics right before the departure (to exclude initial cabin heating). Now the result was 33.7kwh/100km (some highway driving, some city driving)

apparently the battery temperature must be it. Will have the garage setup done next week with PMCC, will do more tests with really warm battery.

Will keep posting as the situation develops.

Porsche Taycan Consumption CF9F125A-1D44-4A14-A721-0E755450FE71

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

worst - Copy.png
best - Copy.png
average - Copy.png
Which size and type of wheels do you have, if I may ask?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
(battery temp at -10 on start, outside temp -22C) I averaged 48.8kwh/100km.
After you stopped, what was the temp of the battery? Explains the amount of heat the BMS has to create to bring the battery on a safe operating level. You also heat the car inside. Even heat pump makes little difference. No wonder the consumption is so high.

I speced Performance Battery plus (4s), is there a way to actually check if that has been installed?
I have the plus battery. When I charge from 2% to 100%, the Porsche Charger draws around 95.5 kWh with outside temperature around 26°C and no pre heating/cooling.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Did another run today, currently -12c outside, but the battery was still warm at about 10c.

Reset the trip metrics right before the departure (to exclude initial cabin heating). Now the result was 33.7kwh/100km (some highway driving, some city driving)

apparently the battery temperature must be it. Will have the garage setup done next week with PMCC, will do more tests with really warm battery.

Will keep posting as the situation develops.

CF9F125A-1D44-4A14-A721-0E755450FE71.jpeg
This is pretty much what I can observe here as well with comparable temperature in Canada. First leg of my commute is from the garage (9-10C) and the consumption is around 29-33 Kwh/100km depending on how heavy is my right foot AND the set temperature of the cabin at A/C ECO.
The second leg (trip back home) is from a cold battery (no charger yet at work) and the first 25-30 km are at 45 kwh/100km because of heating and then it settles down so on average it's 33-35 kwh/100km.

4S Performance batery Plus, 20'' winter kit aero Porsche wheel +tyres

What you describe is thus the harsh reality that we must accept. Eternal summer is the way to go in order to get the max range available with our beautiful and very enjoyable Porsche...

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
After being hit by Filomena 10 days ago in Madrid, and using my E63S wagon mainly because of ground clearance and 4WD, I refueled this morning to the tune of just over 100€ for 72 liters. To my amazement, even though I was using comfort mode, the consumption jumped from 16 liters/100 kms. I normally get using sport mode and liberal loud pedal use, to 20 liters /100 kms with careful throttle use... so this is 25% more fuel expended. So in freezing temperatures ICE cars suffer from increased fuel consumption and lower range as well ! Maybe we are all complaining about the reduced range of EV’s without ever noticing the same happens to ICE’s. Obviously the ease of refueling ICE’s anywhere does not produce range anxiety.