wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Today I drove leg 1 of my road trip from Georgia to Connecticut. My Taycan 4S has the 21 inch Mission E wheels. My first day was 376 miles (610 km) to Durham, North Carolina. The weather was dry but windy at 39 F (4 C). The temperature reached 45 F (7 C) in the middle of the day, but dropped later as I drove through rain and some snow. I stopped at 4 Electrify America chargers, 1 more than I probably needed but I wanted to see if the chargers were working. Because my SOC was not low the charging speeds were not great, but I knew that in advance. I was more interested to see if they worked. All four locations had 350kwh chargers.

First stop was at a Walmart in Commerce, Georgia. The handshake on the 350kW charger was a bit temperamental, but on the third try I was able to connect (peak speed was about 77 kW - but I arrived with about 79% SOC). Second stop was at Sam's Club in Greenville, SC. I remember this location from my trip down to Georgia in May. I connected to the 350kW on the first attempt (peak speed was about 150 kW - I arrived with 50% SOC). Third stop was at Walmart in Charlotte, North Carolina. There were 2 sets of 350 kW chargers (1 set on the right side, and another 350 kW charger on an adjacent island on the left hand side (the cord could not reach the right side of the Taycan). I tried to connect several times, it would start to spin, but the charger continued to error out. I called EA since I couldn't try the other 350 kW charger. She restarted the 350kW charger but we could not get it to work. She was pretty knowlegeable and knew the difference between the 2020 and 2021 with regard to plug and charge (unfortunately plug and charge is not available yet on my 2020 - I used the Connect NA app to initiate the sessions). I moved to a 150kW charger and it connected (the 150 kW peaked at about 111 kW - I arrived with 51% SOC). I let it charge for 25 minutes because I had to use the facilities and grabbed something to eat at McDonalds. It worked out well. The session ended just as I finished eating (I left with 94% SOC). Fourth charger was at a Sheetz gas station in Hillsborough, North Carolina. I connected to the 350 charger on the first attempt (peak speed was about 110 kW - I arrived with 44% SOC). Battery temps for the four sessions were between 85-91 F (29-33 C) when I arrived at the charger.

So three of the four 350 kW chargers worked without calling EA. I didn't get stranded at any location. As far as consumption, much of the driving was on the Interstate. I had the cruise control set at 80 mph (129 km/h). The highest consumption was 37.9 kW/100 miles the best was 35.0 kW/100 miles. The consumption settled down for most of the second half to 35.2 kW/100 miles. Which means at I got between 2.64 miles/kWh (4.25 km/kWh) and 2.86 miles/kWh (4.6 km/kWh). As an experiment I left the car in Range mode since much of the drive was at a constant speed with little need to do rapid lane changes. The numbers (230- 248 mile - 370 km - 399 km) are better than I was expecting given all the other posts on the forum about low range in the Winter.

Tomorrow is a much longer drive from North Carolina to Connecticut. By the way, the car is very comfortable to drive long distances. I have the 14 way seats with the massage function (I said it before and I'll say it again - the massage seats are one of the best options on the car).

Porsche Taycan Cool Weather Road Trip Journal w/ Range Numbers 20210116_143935_resized

Porsche Taycan Cool Weather Road Trip Journal w/ Range Numbers 20210116_151248_resized
Porsche Taycan Cool Weather Road Trip Journal w/ Range Numbers 20210116_154628_resized

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
GREAT post with some REAL numbers — this is what I love to see. As a cold Great Lakes Ohioan, where it has been 25F overnight and 35F daytime — i’ll be really curious how the 2nd half of your journey goes. I suspect that you’ll find a big drop off once ambient drops below 30F as that was always the point at which our Tesla vehicles went from acceptable range to “OMG this sucks” LOL so please do keep us posted!

Which tires do you have on the 21” wheels? I have the all seasons on my 20” wheels and even on longer hauls on the freeway here I’ve been at/closer to 400 wh/mi but that is also in colder temps. And perhaps less consistent speed, and more hills. Your efficiency numbers are, as you said, above anticipated and great news indeed! (What PSI are your tires set at cold right now, out of curiosity?)

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Today I drove leg 1 of my road trip from Georgia to Connecticut. My Taycan 4S has the 21 inch Mission E wheels. My first day was 376 miles (610 km) to Durham, North Carolina.
Thanks for your interesting account. Good luck tomorrow!

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Thx! Great info! 35.2 (21.8 kwh per 100km for the euro guys on here) is a good number! Should give you 250 miles (400 km) in these cold temperatures. Quite acceptable I thik. ??

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today I drove leg 1 of my road trip from Georgia to Connecticut. My Taycan 4S has the 21 inch Mission E wheels. My first day was 376 miles (610 km) to Durham, North Carolina. The weather was dry but windy at 39 F (4 C). The temperature reached 45 F (7 C) in the middle of the day, but dropped later as I drove through rain and some snow. I stopped at 4 Electrify America chargers, 1 more than I probably needed but I wanted to see if the chargers were working.
Question: how did you come to the 4 stops planning? For 600 km trip I would calculate 1, max 2 stops + charge at end point overnight. What was the reasoning for decision to go for 4 stops? I would say this is not 1 more than needed, but certainly 2 or even 3 more than needed? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Question: how did you come to the 4 stops planning? For 600 km trip I would calculate 1, max 2 stops + charge at end point overnight. What was the reasoning for decision to go for 4 stops? I would say this is not 1 more than needed, but certainly 2 or even 3 more than needed? Am I missing something?
One of the issues in the States is the reliability of the Electrify America 350kw chargers. I purposely made more stops to see if they worked. 3 of the 4 350 kw chargers worked. The 4th did not even after EA customer service restarted the charger (I used a 150 kw charger at that location). I did this same trip in reverse last May with fewer stops.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One of the issues in the States is the reliability of the Electrify America 350kw chargers. I purposely made more stops to see if they worked. 3 of the 4 350 kw chargers worked. The 4th did not even after EA customer service restarted the charger (I used a 150 kw charger at that location). I did this same trip in reverse last May with fewer stops.
Thx! Then I indeed undestand. ??

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One more data point for @Yves_0016 — to expand on what @wemct says above — I’ve had 20+ different EV/PHEV vehicles — half of them Tesla, but the other half have been non-Tesla vehicles. Most recently, I had an Audi eTron SUV. One thing I learned was that the ElectrifyAmerica network is unreliable. That is our equivalent to your IONITY network.

For example, my eTron SUV could easily make the 150 mile drive from my house to the Columbus, Ohio USA charger south of me. However, about half-way between, there is a charger in Mansfield, Ohio. Knowing that the charging speed as well as “working yes/no” would be an issue, I always stopped in Mansfield, for 10-15mins, just to be safe.

Tesla does a really good job keeping their network running smooth. But even there, I have had issues with slow charging. In my experience, if the charging station is not far from the freeway exit, it sometimes makes more sense to charge often, for shorter periods of time. That said, the Tesla does not charge at as high a kW as the eTron SUV or Taycan will — so with the Tesla, you want to get the charge lower, to get more kW/speed. It is a bit of a “game” to minimize time.

@Yves_0016 — it shows you live in Belgium. I do not know much about IONITY is that UK only? What network is largest near you? And how reliable are the chargers? As you saw from the OP, the EA network here is “mediocre” to “okay” ;)

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Yves_0016 — it shows you live in Belgium. I do not know much about IONITY is that UK only? What network is largest near you? And how reliable are the chargers? As you saw from the OP, the EA network here is “mediocre” to “okay” ;)
Ionity is all over Europe. Also over here it is the "native network" for Porsche and all other brands in the Ionity consortium. It is certainly the only network offering 350kw.

I have just had the car for 1 week, I tried 1 Ionity 350kw charger just to give it a go because I passed by it and it worked perfectly. So very limited sample but I do have the impression the reliability situation for the 350kw network is better over here in (mainland) Europe.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @Yves_0016 for the feedback. I watch lots of YouTube videos (Bjorn is my hero hahaha). But even he visits many non-IONITY stations. We (USA) are trailing far behind in EV adoption, sadly. But those of us (Americans) on these forums are trying hard to be on the forefront of EV adoption. Safe travels my friend!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Ionity is all over Europe. Also over here it is the "native network" for Porsche and all other brands in the Ionity consortium. It is certainly the only network offering 350kw.

I have just had the car for 1 week, I tried 1 Ionity 350kw charger just to give it a go because I passed by it and it worked perfectly. So very limited sample but I do have the impression the reliability situation for the 350kw network is better over here in (mainland) Europe.
I think you are in a good situation in Belgium from a charging point of view! You have bothered the Allego and Fastned network available to you I believe. It is not part of the Porsche charging solution perhaps but have a look around. They advertise chargers from 150 kW to 350 kW and believe they have good reviews. I have not used them since they are not close to me.

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is a summary of day 2 of my journey. This leg of the trip started in Durham, North Carolina at 6:35 am and ended in Connecticut at 5:58 pm. Bottom line is the Taycan is a very capable long distance car even in cooler weather (provided the battery is heated) more than 240 miles (386 km). In below freezing temperatures 28F (-2C) the range suffers but I still got almost 190 miles (306 km). As a reminder, I have the 21 inch Mission E wheels with all season tires. If you have smaller wheels your range will probably be greater than mine.

Walmart – Henderson, North Carolina
  • Location has two sets of 350kW chargers, but only one set shows up on Charging NA app
  • Handshake would not work on 350kW charger on Charging NA app
  • Moved to other 350kW charger and called Electrify America to start session (successful)
  • Impact of cold weather and cold battery kept charging speed low
  • Outside temperature 28F (-2C), battery temperature at charger 46F (8C)
  • Arrival SOC 53%, peak charging speed 55 kW at the 350 kW charger
  • Even though the speed was slow, I let the session run so that the batteries could warm up
Walmart – Richmond, Virginia
  • It took three attempts to successfully initiate a session on the 350 kW charger
  • Peak charging rate on the 350 kW charger was slow 93 kW given SOC at arrival 19% and battery temperature 87F (31C)
  • At 55% SOC, I decided to try an experiment and moved over to a 150 kW charger
  • Peak charging rate on the 150 kW charger jump to 142 kW which demonstrates that the 150 kW chargers are not too bad as a back up if the 350 kW chargers do not work
Simon Arundel Mills – Hanover, Maryland
  • Location is a large outlet mall which made finding the Electrify America chargers much more difficult to locate than at Walmart
  • Tip if you cannot find the charger – cancel the navigation when you are at the location and use the Taycan’s navigation Points of Interest – Charging to find the charger where you are located and input it as the new destination in the satnav and start navigating. For some reason the map becomes much more detailed and will get you to the Electrify America chargers
  • The 350 kW charger worked on the first try
  • Arrival SOC 30%, battery temperature 89F (32C), peak charging speed 148 kW
Mills at Jersey Gardens – Elizabeth, New Jersey
  • Location is a large shopping mall which made finding the Electrify America chargers difficult like the previous location
  • Use the same trick on the navigation to find the chargers (they were located near the Tesla chargers)
  • The 350 kW charger worked on the first try
  • Arrival SOC 23%, battery temperature 83F (28C), peak charging speed 195 kW
Stats
  • Total miles traveled on day 2 was 546 miles (879 km) - total for 2 days 922 miles (1484 km)
  • Outside temperature range was 28F (-2C) for the first 2 hours and then rose up to 49F (9C) with the second half of the day around 45F (7C)
  • Traffic was heavier than on day one and the speeds varied much more due to different speed limits, construction, delays around Washington D.C., and many police radar traps
  • However, my average speed was just 1 mph less than day one
  • Consumption started in the cold weather at 46.3 kWh/100 miles (161km) and decreased to 35.8 kWh/100 miles by the end of the trip
  • Low range was 2.16 miles (3.48 km)/kW (approximately 188 miles (303 km) with 28F(-2C) outside temp and cold battery
  • High range was 2.79 miles (4.49 km)/kW(approximately 243 miles (391 km) by the end of the trip
A few observations:
  • My Valentine 1 Generation 2 radar detector paired with the JBV1 app on Android performed flawlessly
  • The massage seats made the trip much more comfortable
  • The Sport Chrono knob on the steering wheel is a must have. Today I had to switch lanes very quickly a few times. I was able to switch from Range to Sport Plus in a fraction of a second using the knob - there was no way I could have done that so quickly if I had to use the menu settings on the screen (when cruising using the screen is doable, but on the highway when you have very little time to get the maximum thrust the knob is a must) - yes I know you can kick down in Range, but that momentary delay to kick down was too long for what I needed to do today
  • I mapped out the Electrify America charger locations using A Better Route Planner app
  • I used both the Taycan satnav to plot the final destination and Waze to plot the next charger location identified on ABRP app
  • As I got closer to the charger location (less than 60 miles), I used the Taycan satnav Charger Points of Interest to locate and input the charger as a waypoint to precondition the battery
  • On day 2 I skipped some of the stops recommended by ABRP because my range was much better than anticipated
  • In addition to Waze for police alerts, I used the Highway Patrol app which can give alerts much further in advance than Waze. Also Highway Patrol app alerts to aircraft and helicopters and will even identify the aircraft by tail number and agency if available. In Maryland it alerted to a helicopter and said it was the Maryland State Police. Sure enough I saw it in the air near the horizon checking speed on the highway
  • The air suspension and steering on the Taycan are awesome – I did not feel beaten up after driving many miles over 2 days
  • Of the 8 charging stops, I was able to connect using the Porsche Charging NA app at 6 of the stops. Of the 2 that I needed help from Electrify America, one was because the 350 kW charger did not appear on the Charging NA app
  • Sometimes I had to straddle two spots at the Electrify America charger because the cables were too short (fortunately most of the time I was the only car at the location)
  • Even with the some of the slower charging speeds, I was able to use the time to use the facilities and/or grab lunch – the longest stop was 41 minutes because I wanted to get a higher SOC to skip the next charger location (the extra 10 or 15 minutes saved me a lot of time by skipping the next stop)

Porsche Taycan Cool Weather Road Trip Journal w/ Range Numbers Day2 1
Porsche Taycan Cool Weather Road Trip Journal w/ Range Numbers Day2 2
Porsche Taycan Cool Weather Road Trip Journal w/ Range Numbers Day2 3
Porsche Taycan Cool Weather Road Trip Journal w/ Range Numbers Day2 4

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very good write up and info. Thx!

PS: still jealous of everbody who had the cojones to order mamba!! ?? Love it!

Quick questions:

- how do you guys see the exact battery temperature? I can't seem to find this in the car. Or do you just assume by taking another temperature?

- when you put a charger as destination on the porsche satnav the car will automatically "optimize battery temperature" as you approach the charger? Or do you need to do something?

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Yves_0016, battery temp is one of the options you can choose when you set up your Information screen on the dashboard (see bottom line of photo below). When you use the satnav and the car does not have enough range to reach the destination, the nav screen will have a red battery box. After about 30 seconds, it will update the routing to say that fast charging locations were added to reach the destination. The car will condition the high volt batteries to raise the temp enroute to ensure better charging speeds. If you manually input just an address of a charging location that you pull off another app, the satnav and the Porsche Charging Planner are not smart enough to know that it is a Charger location and will not precondition the battery. If you find the same location in the satnav's Points of Interest ->Charging Icon->Porsche Fast Charging, and choose it as a destination or stopover, then it will precondition the battery. You can also raise battery temp by driving in Sport Plus if you have the sport chrono option.
Porsche Taycan Cool Weather Road Trip Journal w/ Range Numbers Day2 5
Sponsored