tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
I was driving to Houston from Dallas with my wife and stopped off at an EA for a fill up. For some reason it did not recognize my car when I plugged in but attribute this to Porsche dealer totally resetting my PCM because all secondary screens would randomly go out. (After sitting overnight, they would come back) To get the EA station to charge my car, I had to go into the My Porsche app, click on bottom map icon, then click on fuel station icon in middle. Then click on the EA station on the map, then select the pod number and then "start charging" button and it worked. (BTW - They have two handles at each pod but only one at a time can actually work!)

Anyway, I was charging away while sitting in car when an EQS450+ pulls up next to me. So I get out of my car and start chatting with him, reminding him how ugly the outside of his is and asking about any issues with electronics. He said he has had a lot but overall happy with car. I shared my alarm issues and black screen issues and said the same about my Taycan. Meanwhile my wife locked the car doors unbeknownst to me while I was bantering outside the car, even though I left my door open.

After EQS guy and I said our goodbyes, I went to stop my charge and extract the handle only to find it would not release. I went to inside my car and noticed an error message on the passenger charger port. I tried stopping charge via app and via pushing the flashing green button...it then went RED. I was stuck. Could not get the handle out of my car. So I called 1-800-PORSCHE and learned that inside each door jam 6" from the charger access panel is a nickel sized plug cap. I popped it off and 7" of string fell out attached to the plug. If you pull the string it will manually release the charging handle and it can be extracted. However, it was spring loaded and thus it really took two people; one to pull the string while the other extracts the heavy handle. It took a little work slipping the string back in but I was on my way.

I got to my destination and started a level 1 charge at the home I was at, locked my doors and went to sleep. The next day, I tried to extract the handle again and it was stuck! I unlocked the doors and went in car to see if that error message was there and it was not. I went back to the handle and tried to extract again and out it came. As it turns out, if you lock your car, it will lock that handle onto your car. The first time my wife locked the doors unbeknownst to me, even with mine open thus it never dawned on me it was locked. The second time it made sense when I unlocked the door and drew the obvious conclusion; locking car, locks handle. This makes sense since someone could unplug you unknowingly if you re not there.

I sure wish both my dealer and 1-800-PORSCHE told me this! Hope this story helps the next person.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tomdfw1

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BTW - The EQS does not have a front trunk! None. And there is a 10" wide and 3" tall panel in the middle of the driver's door fender. I asked him...what is this ugly door panel for!? Wiper fluid access panel!!! In the middle of the side of front fender! WTF!? What engineer thought that a good idea?!

EvFamily

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, dodge Ram
Country flag
This is similar to the BMW X5 I had. If the car was locked then the charger was locked. The mache doesn’t lock the charger (at home atleast) never charged elsewhere to know if it locks.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
But it doesn’t unlock the charger when you unlock the car? You have to use the emergency release every time? If so that is a stupid design.

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
But it doesn’t unlock the charger when you unlock the car? You have to use the emergency release every time? If so that is a stupid design.
I believe Tom was saying after the incident and he knew what happened that when the Taycan is locked, the charging cable can't be disconnected. This has been my experience, as well. The Taycan needs to be unlocked to have the freedom to disconnect the charging cable.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I believe Tom was saying after the incident and he knew what happened that when the Taycan is locked, the charging cable can't be disconnected. This has been my experience, as well. The Taycan needs to be unlocked to have the freedom to disconnect the charging cable.
@tomdfw1 please tell me @_Brian_ is right. If my car didn’t burn and sink I’d be able to verify for myself.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, every time you charge a Taycan in public, you have to pull a cord in the door jam to get the handle to release…

vatsav

First Name
Srivatsav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Tursimo 2022, Tesla Model X 2020
Country flag
Yes, every time you charge a Taycan in public, you have to pull a cord in the door jam to get the handle to release…
Then, if we want to grab something while it's charging, how can we leave the car unlocked? This doesn't make sense.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Anyway, I was charging away while sitting in car when an EQS450+ pulls up next to me. So I get out of my car and start chatting with him, reminding him how ugly the outside of his is
Meanwhile my wife locked the car doors unbeknownst to me
She was probably worried for your safety :CWL:

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
We have similar problems with the Audi etron, locked car is locked connector. I was charging one day next to a Taycan when the driver complained he could not get the charger connector out of the car. I said unlock the car, which he did, and the charger connector was released.

OP
OP
tomdfw1

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No not every time do you have to use the string pull...that is a ridiculous comment. You just must unlock your car and it will release the handle. If for some reason it doesn't, only then do you have to use the string pull method.

OP
OP
tomdfw1

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All I know is I had my doors open and windows down and there was an error message on the screen about the port. I did not knowingly lock my car. Perhaps my wife did or I butt dialed the key lock...but I couldn't get it off until I used the string pull. The second time I DID have it locked and that caused me to think that perhaps my wife locked the doors while it was charging, even though my driver door was wide open, and that is what caused tge issue.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No not every time do you have to use the string pull...that is a ridiculous comment. You just must unlock your car and it will release the handle. If for some reason it doesn't, only then do you have to use the string pull method.
:rolleyes:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I was driving to Houston from Dallas with my wife and stopped off at an EA for a fill up. For some reason it did not recognize my car when I plugged in but attribute this to Porsche dealer totally resetting my PCM because all secondary screens would randomly go out. (After sitting overnight, they would come back) To get the EA station to charge my car, I had to go into the My Porsche app, click on bottom map icon, then click on fuel station icon in middle. Then click on the EA station on the map, then select the pod number and then "start charging" button and it worked. (BTW - They have two handles at each pod but only one at a time can actually work!)

Anyway, I was charging away while sitting in car when an EQS450+ pulls up next to me. So I get out of my car and start chatting with him, reminding him how ugly the outside of his is and asking about any issues with electronics. He said he has had a lot but overall happy with car. I shared my alarm issues and black screen issues and said the same about my Taycan. Meanwhile my wife locked the car doors unbeknownst to me while I was bantering outside the car, even though I left my door open.

After EQS guy and I said our goodbyes, I went to stop my charge and extract the handle only to find it would not release. I went to inside my car and noticed an error message on the passenger charger port. I tried stopping charge via app and via pushing the flashing green button...it then went RED. I was stuck. Could not get the handle out of my car. So I called 1-800-PORSCHE and learned that inside each door jam 6" from the charger access panel is a nickel sized plug cap. I popped it off and 7" of string fell out attached to the plug. If you pull the string it will manually release the charging handle and it can be extracted. However, it was spring loaded and thus it really took two people; one to pull the string while the other extracts the heavy handle. It took a little work slipping the string back in but I was on my way.

I got to my destination and started a level 1 charge at the home I was at, locked my doors and went to sleep. The next day, I tried to extract the handle again and it was stuck! I unlocked the doors and went in car to see if that error message was there and it was not. I went back to the handle and tried to extract again and out it came. As it turns out, if you lock your car, it will lock that handle onto your car. The first time my wife locked the doors unbeknownst to me, even with mine open thus it never dawned on me it was locked. The second time it made sense when I unlocked the door and drew the obvious conclusion; locking car, locks handle. This makes sense since someone could unplug you unknowingly if you re not there.

I sure wish both my dealer and 1-800-PORSCHE told me this! Hope this story helps the next person.
A locked EV whilst EVSE is connected will obviously lock the charge port and connector to prevent someone disconnecting from your car by simply pushing the button.

Suspect this is covered in the Porsche Good To Know App ,/ Owner's Manual.

That said, your dealer ought to have pointed this out too.
Sponsored