Couple of questions about spec

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
the same difference as in a 911...... :)
yep but the 911 changes the gear ratios in sports or sports+ so you get increased response/performance.

‘the Taycan is the same power regardless of the mode so does it just alter he dynamics in the suspension?

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
yep but the 911 changes the gear ratios in sports or sports+ so you get increased response/performance.

‘the Taycan is the same power regardless of the mode so does it just alter he dynamics in the suspension?
Based on various articles published, the Taycan has a different rear gear strategy depending on the mode. On "range" mode it uses second gear exclusively on the rear unless you press the pedal hard and force it to change. On normal it is the behaviour usually talked about (2nd gear from 50mph onwards unless pedal pressed hard). On sport and sport plus it will keep the rear engine in first gear a lot more to ensure fastest response. Sport plus being the most radical option of course. On sport plus it also lifts the rear spoiler to a higher position more easily than with lower modes (better for track driving for example).

Of course suspension and other things are also affected. But due to the 2-gear rear setup these modes do in fact matter quite a lot.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yes it's probably very subjective. To me it felt like there is no grip compared to leather, as in it's slippery and forces the driver to keep a tighter grip on the wheel. I sometimes like to drive with one hand and just a few fingers and the idea of questionable grip is not something I welcome. I understand that racetex only when you're driving on track, gripping the wheel hard with both hands. For casual driving it seems to me like a horrible option.
If you plan on driving a lot, the alcantara will wear in spots and will not feel great. I've had it on my race car for some time, and with gloves it's fine, without it just doesn't feel anything like the leather wheel in my Panamera which has gone almost 100K miles.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I agree with Singularity on not specifying INNODRIVE. I also wonder how often INNODRIVE will be updated. The NAV updates to PCM are underwhelming in that they update points of interest but not the roads.

And leather for steering wheel.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
I'm in the camp that thinks Porsche's are meant for driving. So a definite no for Innodrive.

I added the 360 camera for easier/faster parking and to avoid scratching the rims in certain situations, and the Range Manager to help optimize roadtrips & charging speed (it pre-heats the battery optimally before arriving to charge, when using this, for optimal charge speed).
Yeah, I had to google it, apparently it's this thing with adaptive cruise control and stuff - and I really dislike cruise control anyway on any car, there's no more surefire way of being lazy, inattentive and stopping you being alert when driving on a motorway than using cruise control. I couldn't imagine a less appropriate option, not just on a Porsche but on just about any car.

But then this (by the way, this is Innodrive for the Macan but still):

Porsche said:
Imagine, for example, that a speed restriction is in force further along the route but the traffic sign is not yet in sight of the driver: the system already knows that deceleration will be required and initiates a fuel-saving coasting maneuver.
What is the point of that, seriously? I can stop when I see the traffic sign - because I can use my brakes. And the tiny bit it'll extend my range isn't worth it, compared to the control i have- and need- of my car

Does anyone have any idea of the benefits of the sports/sports+ mode in a Taycan?
I'm guessing faster throttle response, sharper steering, but since I always would use it as my default, I'd struggle to have anything to compare it to

Last edited:

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Yah the catch me aids in systems like innodrive are a nuisance but usually you can turn that off what I use the cruise control for is as a goto speed when I see blue lights up ahead then I just let off the accelerator and I know the car will slow down to the appropriate speed with out me doing much. However, for the Taycan with very little regen on letup I will probably have to step on the breaks anyway. :)

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yah the catch me aids in systems like innodrive are a nuisance but usually you can turn that off what I use the cruise control for is as a goto speed when I see blue lights up ahead then I just let off the accelerator and I know the car will slow down to the appropriate speed with out me doing much. However, for the Taycan with very little regen on letup I will probably have to step on the breaks anyway. :)
I agree on the innodrive comments for 90% of my driving. However, I chose it because I'll be driving 250+ mile routes and I fully anticipate I will not be totally focused on the driving experience 100% of this time. I'll be on the phone a lot talking to business associates etc., so I figured innodrive was one of the several ways to make sure that I keep my license for the maximum period of time...:angel:

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
I agree on the innodrive comments for 90% of my driving. However, I chose it because I'll be driving 250+ mile routes and I fully anticipate I will not be totally focused on the driving experience 100% of this time. I'll be on the phone a lot talking to business associates etc., so I figured innodrive was one of the several ways to make sure that I keep my license for the maximum period of time...:angel:
I chose Innodrive for similar reasons. Some routes I drive here in Norway have speed limits that constantly varies between 50, 60, 70 and upwards to 110 km/h. This combined with plenty of speed cameras makes it a PITA to hold on to both my wallet and my license. In these areas I'll be perfectly happy to let Innodrive take care of both the gas pedal and brakes :)

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Hmm... I still think it's sketchy and I don't really trust it, but I can maaaaybe concede it can be beneficial on an - unavoidable - stretch of road with average speed limits/speed cameras. I do my best to avoid roads with speed cameras, but there's one round my area which is unavoidable

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
Must say I love race-Tex or Alcantara as another name for the steering wheel. It’s always nice and warm but never hot or sticky........
There is a thread about Alcantara on the steering wheel in the Ferrarichat form and the general consensus from those who had it, was that it did not wear well so likely not good for a car that is going to be a DD.:confused:

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
There is a thread about Alcantara on the steering wheel in the Ferrarichat form and the general consensus from those who had it, was that it did not wear well so likely not good for a car that is going to be a DD.:confused:
I usually have my cars as DDs and track day cars and keep them for about 3-4 years except collectibles.... I always have Alcantara and never had a problem and love the feel with and with out gloves depending on situation. So at least with my use case, drive about 40000kms/yr, its a great material and not at all temperature dependent as leather tends to be. But as we said earler to each his/her own when it comes to personal preferences :)

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi guys,

I've just have a call from my dealer.
He came back from his internship in Mallorca. He told me that the Innodrive feature has been greatly improved. According to him, it has nothing to do with the Porsche Panamera. He was bluffed.

Have you had similar feedback from your dealer ?
Sponsored