Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Dave T glad to hear you have recovered! Domino1720 get better and all the best.

The Taycan is just a car and your health is much more important! Get wel and stay safe!

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
There will be little, if any difference between the 2020 and 2021 models. To me this isn't a big deal, but for those who cancel I'm sure your making another buyer very happy to get there's a little bit sooner.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The differences don't matter, the date does. When someone is looking at buying a used Taycan in 2024, do you think they'll pay the same amount for a 2020 vs a 2021? I know I wouldn't.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
My lock date is the beginning of April for an expected late July/early August delivery. But due to the virus, and the resulting economic turmoil, I asked to swap my build slot with someone further down the pipeline. The GM at my dealership said it likely won't come until November now, with supply chains being disrupted, etc. Even that date might be optimistic.

So I will hold my place in line. If the car comes and I'm not ready, the dealer said if they can sell it off the lot at full MSRP, then I will get my deposit back.

I love this car and truly want it. But as someone above mentioned, this is also a morality issue. The whole thing weighs heavy on me. In the meantime, I'll drive my convertible around and enjoy the sunlight.

Last edited:

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The differences don't matter, the date does. When someone is looking at buying a used Taycan in 2024, do you think they'll pay the same amount for a 2020 vs a 2021? I know I wouldn't.
If there are not changes from year to year, features and mileage are the most important factors, IMO. It doesn't matter if the car is a "2020" made on June 25th or a "2021" made on July 8th.

If I'm in the minority and folks really do worry about this stuff, what I think Porsche should do is skip 2021. Then in Summer of 2021 come out with the 2022 model year Taycan.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No, Porsche should just do the usual and name anything built after July a 2021 model. Getting a 2020 in Jan 2021 would be even worse for resale. You'll have an effectively 2 year old car after less than 6 months of owning it.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, Porsche should just do the usual and name anything built after July a 2021 model. Getting a 2020 in Jan 2021 would be even worse for resale. You'll have an effectively 2 year old car after less than 6 months of owning it.
I guess we live in two different worlds. One where people like to enjoy the things they buy and one where folks are only interested in selling it again. *shrug*

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Well, here if the model is the same, the production date is irrelevant, the first registration date is essential.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I love this car and truly want it. But as someone above mentioned, this is also a morality issue. The whole thing weighs heavy on me. In the meantime, I'll drive my convertible around and enjoy the sunlight.
BMW, Prosche, it is all expensive! Here not to pollute the city air is the moral thing to do.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
With the taycan, not only are you saving the environment, but you are also bringing a smile to the face of anyone who sees it. It improves the world.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If one is so worried about the resale value of a Luxury car to the extent that one is worried about the month when you get it, perhaps one should just wait until the cars are in stock at the dealers and one can time the purchase much better.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, here if the model is the same, the production date is irrelevant, the first registration date is essential.
Right. Tesla is pretty much unique in having the year of your car set by when you bought it. Most car companies have models. They start a new model a bit before the new year. But I damn well want the first year model whenever I get it. Makes me feel special.

And as has been pointed out, buying a Porsche for resale is unusual. Certainly not what I’m doing.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don’t get all this pushback against people who think about resale value. Sure, the Taycan isn’t an investment. But, all else being equal, no matter how easily you can afford the car, higher resale value is better than lower resale value. Hoping for a good resale value doesn’t make you cheap, and it doesn’t mean you won’t enjoy the car.

I’m about to sell my 8 year old BMW, with mileage on it of a typical 5 year old car. The blue book valuation is close to a typical 8 year old car. No way it will go for what a 5 year old car would go for. The model year of the car matters.
Sponsored