dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Whats the consensus now that we are 3 months into Covid and seems like the worst has past?
Life is just about back to normal for me in FL. Picked up my vehicle 2 days ago and am enjoying it alot.
Sponsored

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello Christian,

that is very good to hear and gives me hope.

I wish we were as far. Soon we will know if the partial easing of the lockdown rules will be successful here, i.e. if it will allow some more social life and economic activity while not letting the disease beast from its chain. That would be a big success.

Cheers,
Henrik

Here in China it is old news. Virus is gone and life back to the way it was before. Just the export economy is reeling and the border is locked for foreigners. No international traveling for me, means more money I can spend on my new Taycan 4S+! :)

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I'm unclear why you believe the worst is past. With so many people up and about and mingling and whatnot, I'm predicting by the middle of June the numbers really start to spike again. And since this genie is out of the bottle, it's not likely going to go back in. Getting people out of their homes and into a restaurant (for example) is an economic decision, not a public health decision. My guess is (here in the U.S.) we double our numbers of dead and infected in the next 3 months. As I posted somewhere else: "This is the worst catastrophe in the history of the country. We have never before lost 100,000 people to a single cause in a three month period. Not during any natural disaster. Not during any previous disease epidemic. Not during the worst days of WWII, the Civil War, or any other war. We have not experienced death on this scale from any cause, ever in the history of our nation. And we are only just getting started."

I don't plan on cancelling, to answer your question directly. Circumstances may dictate I do, but until then, it's full steam ahead.
I was speaking from a UK perspective. We are certainly on the mend here. As for other parts of Europe everything seems positive too. I think good times will be here again in the not too distant future. Read some news today that said Covid-19 is pretty much non-existent in Italy now and 2 months ago they had the highest deaths in the EU. The virus seems to be dying down faster than they can test the vaccine on this side of the pond.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I was speaking from a UK perspective. We are certainly on the mend here. As for other parts of Europe everything seems positive too. I think good times will be here again in the not too distant future. Read some news today that said Covid-19 is pretty much non-existent in Italy now and 2 months ago they had the highest deaths in the EU. The virus seems to be dying down faster than they can test the vaccine on this side of the pond.
I read this as well today. But officially the government is still very concerned. I’m not so sure this is going to be over quick. I hope it is, but I’m not convinced that we will have a fast recovery.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I read this as well today. But officially the government is still very concerned. I’m not so sure this is going to be over quick. I hope it is, but I’m not convinced that we will have a fast recovery.
Gogs I am a medic. Work in the industry. The dilemma right now is that this is dying down so quick that there is not enough people to test the vaccine on! I say I hope it dies quick enough not to even need a vaccine.

What will take a time to recover is the economy. That is going to take a long long time.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Gogs I am a medic. Work in the industry. The dilemma right now is that this is dying down so quick that there is not enough people to test the vaccine on! I say I hope it dies quick enough not to even need a vaccine.

What will take a time to recover is the economy. That is going to take a long long time.
I hope that continues then. Some good news at last...

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Read some news today that said Covid-19 is pretty much non-existent in Italy now
Non existent, well. If you look at the last week in Italy, you'll get for the week of May 25th to including May 31st the data below (I am not counting June 1st, because it is still ongoing):

a) daily new infections
Average: 448

b) daily deaths
Average:

This is 5-10 times better than in March. In some heavily afflicted regions, such as Bergamo, this may actually reflect herd immunity (i.e. 60-70% or more of the total population have had it). You also see a lot of extra mortality in these regions. In other regions, it probably reflects more the vastly changed behaviour of the population, which reduced R0.

Of course, if we would be lucky and there would be other, "more magic", factors that would make the disease peter out, that would be nice. But which are they? And what would happen to the numbers if social behaviour would revert to 2019 style? The latter seems at least partially underway in Germany, and now we have an R0 > 1 again, the latest being 1.2. You don't want an 1.2 R0.

Cheers,
Henrik

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Hello Christian,

that is very good to hear and gives me hope.

I wish we were as far. Soon we will know if the partial easing of the lockdown rules will be successful here, i.e. if it will allow some more social life and economic activity while not letting the disease beast from its chain. That would be a big success.

Cheers,
Henrik
Hi Hendrik,

I hope as well, but giving that the German government still seems to listen to experts, which do not want to eradicate but rather than just control the virus, I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. Why damage the economy and society so much for so little gain?

Christian

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Related news story from Road Show

Porsche Chairman is 'optimistic' about post-COVID-19 Taycan sales
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/porsche-coronavirus-taycan/

Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG Oliver Blume, who remains confident that Porsche will not only weather the current economic storms, but can come out stronger.

How? Basically, by staying the course and sticking with the basics. "The best thing is to have a fundamentally optimistic attitude," Blume said. "We think in chances. We stopped our production over six weeks. We ramped up last week once again,and production is running fairly well."

dfh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GTS 4 Cabriolet, Jaguar iPace
Country flag
Went to go collect my car today, but on the way got a call telling me to turn around. Apparently, some technical issue with registering the OLEV grant means they cant register the vehicle until thats done. No ETA in sight unless I would like to pay £3500 more for the car, but actually for some reason I thought the Taycan may not qualify anyway - saw it on the invoice and was pleasantly surprised. Got so close twice now (deliver was previously scheduled for lockdown day in the UK), I guess a few more days wont hurt!

Last edited:

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Went to go collect my car today, but on the way got a call telling me to turn around. Apparently, some technical issue with registering the OLEV grant means they cant register the vehicle until thats done. No ETA in sight unless I would like to pay £3500 more for the car, but actually for some reason I thought the Taycan may not qualify anyway - saw it on the invoice and was pleasantly surprised. Got so close twice now (deliver was previously scheduled for lockdown day in the UK), I guess a few more days wont hurt!
I can assure you that the wait will be worth it. The car is unreal.

dfh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GTS 4 Cabriolet, Jaguar iPace
Country flag
I can assure you that the wait will be worth it. The car is unreal.
I'm sure! I suspect its not about a wait now, but about £3500...Reading the details on the OLEV website it seems that unless the dealer registered for the grant before 12 March, the grant wont come through for any Porsche given they all retail for over £50k. has anyone else had this discussion confirmed one way or the other from a dealer in the UK?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the car was not registered as an order back in March/April then the dealer will miss out on the grant. There is no excuse acceptable for this, if this is the case.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I'm sure! I suspect its not about a wait now, but about £3500...Reading the details on the OLEV website it seems that unless the dealer registered for the grant before 12 March, the grant wont come through for any Porsche given they all retail for over £50k. has anyone else had this discussion confirmed one way or the other from a dealer in the UK?
I have friends in the car industry and was made aware of the OLEV grant ending in the budget so I emailed my Porsche and Audi dealerships to make sure they registered mine prior to the budget

And made sure both confirmed in emails that they had done

If your dealer hasn’t done that then I believe They should contribute 3.5k towards the car!

I was looking at possibly changing from a Turbo to a Turbo S and the OLEV grant can’t be moved! It’s registered to you and that exact order number
So I stuck with my Turbo

kevinod

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 971
Country flag
Yes most of the dealers registered the cars on the portal the night they decided to cancel the grant.

If your order was in pre the grant changing I’d be arguing the toss with the dealership
Sponsored