PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Taycan Turbo S, Macan Turbo,
Country flag
Has anyone had the problem below with their taycan?

Just a few days after taking delivery I decided to hand wash my new turbo S. I noticed a crack in the center of the rear window, from top to bottom. The crack cannot be felt from the outside. It can barely be felt from the inside. What could be the cause of this crack?

To note that the local Porsche had installed a “smash and grab“ film on the interior of the window, as indeed on all the side windows of the car. It prevents instant glass shattering by vandals, and it also provides tinting. I had installed the same “smash and grab” on my previous Macan and Cayenne, both without any problems.

together with the Porsche dealer we are trying to determine what could be the cause of the crack.
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To note that the local Porsche had installed a “smash and grab“ film on the interior of the window, as indeed on all the side windows of the car. It prevents instant glass shattering by vandals, and it also provides tinting.
Off topic, but is "smash and grab" film of any benefit with the thermally and acoustically insulated glass option? I thought it takes special tools to break this glass for rescue.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Has anyone had the problem below with their taycan?

Just a few days after taking delivery I decided to hand wash my new turbo S. I noticed a crack in the center of the rear window, from top to bottom. The crack cannot be felt from the outside. It can barely be felt from the inside. What could be the cause of this crack?
Transportation damage? I'd be surprised if that was a quality issue in the manufacturing process.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would be a bit suspicious that the dealership might have done it with the film install.

It's also possible, perhaps more likely, it was a defect in the glass that cracked during transport.

Should be a warranty repair.

OP
OP
PAB

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Off topic, but is "smash and grab" film of any benefit with the thermally and acoustically insulated glass option? I thought it takes special tools to break this glass for rescue.
It’s a good question. I can only assume that it provides added protection otherwise the Porsche dealership would not have bothered doing it.

OP
OP
PAB

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Transportation damage? I'd be surprised if that was a quality issue in the manufacturing process.
You might be right. Will share this hypothesis with the dealer. Thank you.

OP
OP
PAB

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would be a bit suspicious that the dealership might have done it with the film install.

It's also possible, perhaps more likely, it was a defect in the glass that cracked during transport.

Should be a warranty repair.
Thank you. Will let you know when we and the dealer have decided on the way forward.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you. Will let you know when we and the dealer have decided on the way forward.
I'm not familiar with the film you mentioned, worth asking if they used any heat to apply it. If so, it might have exposed a defect in the glass.

Are they trying to get you to use insurance for it? Seems like they should just swap it out, the root cause is less important.. unless they're claiming it wasn't there and it happened due to some sort of impact after you took delivery.

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
You are right with thermally and acoustically insulated glass option you need the same tool (portable sabre saw) as for the front windshield (from my past experience on desincarceration as volunteer firefighter)

OP
OP
PAB

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the film you mentioned, worth asking if they used any heat to apply it. If so, it might have exposed a defect in the glass.

Are they trying to get you to use insurance for it? Seems like they should just swap it out, the root cause is less important.. unless they're claiming it wasn't there and it happened due to some sort of impact after you took delivery.
Thank you. Told them re potential crack from heat. Awaiting Porsche decision re warranty.

Pete C

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you. Told them re potential crack from heat. Awaiting Porsche decision re warranty.
Had the same problem, brand new car. Warranty replacement has already been accepted.

Porsche Taycan Crack in REAR window 21ADF041-7CC1-4558-9E6A-17BE1695F0DF

Porsche Taycan Crack in REAR window 3AFD4631-5CF3-4566-897F-8D2E19597120

B777

First Name
BP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911SC,Panamera S,Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Heated the rear window for film and then cool too fast?

Pete C

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nope, no film. Not even been washed. But live in Denmark and it was freezing cold that day....

B777

First Name
BP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911SC,Panamera S,Taycan Turbo
Country flag