OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
@whitex - Can you expand on your use of the Tesla destination chargers? Do you just plug in or is an adapter required?
Adapter required. I used a TeslaTap Mini 80A (my Taycan is equipped with the 80A charger).
Sponsored

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
the HUD actually looks cool. I didn't spec it originally but i threw the technology package on (which includes it) because it only added $500 more my car but gave me the HUD and passenger screen as well so i figured i was getting a "discount."

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, a couple of updates as I discover more about the car:

When I thought I hit the curb even though the backup camera system showed it only near the car. I just discovered that my car will automatically hit the brakes hard when I get close to a curb, which feels just like hitting the curb. That could have been what I experienced. It's probably one of the driver assist features I have enabled. So while still not great, at least I am less worried about the backup camera having a delay now.

About HUD vs. PCM turn-by-turn directions, I figured out a couple of things:
  1. The PCM has a more detailed map of the upcoming turn, but it on the main map and not zoomed in enough to see the detail well. The HUD always shows a small, zoomed in section of the map when it is showing the next turn (and it superimposes the car position onto it) making it more useful. I wonder why the giant right side of the screen that shows the next turn on the PCM doesn't show the same zoomed in map fragment like the HUD - it would be useful.
  2. I noticed that the HUD sometimes shows different lane recommendations than the PCM, which is really odd. I wonder if HUD turn-by-turn directions are independent software from the PCM turn-by-turn directions, rather than just being a secondary display.

Last edited:

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Great read….. love road trips especially when picking up a new car as i like the situation of learning a new car whilst on a long trip - great way to get to know your new purchase.

Now I wonder if I could get my car delivered to the West coast in the US and drive it back to the UK ! 🤪 …… for those about to jump all over my post…. it’s was younger and cheek…..but… if the option was possible… I would probably investigate as for mr buying a Taycan was/is all about driving it and touring, I.e. as soon as I can find the time I will be driving up to Scotland to do the NT500.

Anyway, thanks again for the post.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yea, it does seem like people are hiding their Taycans in their garages. There are more Taycans reportedly on the roads in the USA than Ford F150 Lightening, yet I saw no Taycans at any of the chargers I used, while saw a few F150 L's,. Almost all other EV's were represented at chargers during my trip, Rivian, Lucid, Ford, Chevy, Kia, VW, Mercedes, even Teslas.
Only YTers range-testing new models?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So while still not great, at least I am less worried about the backup camera having a delay now.
The camera is certainly not snappy, but how much of a delay are you seeing? I always found it fast enough for all kinds of parking...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Nice read!

You really haven't had any charging troubles on all the chargers? The all worked with plug and charge?

Do you have RAS? If so, how is it?

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The camera is certainly not snappy, but how much of a delay are you seeing? I always found it fast enough for all kinds of parking...
As I mentioned above, it was not a delay, but rather the car hitting its brakes hard (some obstacle avoidance feature) while backing up, which made me think I hit the curb, even though the camera showed the curb still behind the rear bumper.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice read!

You really haven't had any charging troubles on all the chargers? The all worked with plug and charge?

Do you have RAS? If so, how is it?
Yes, all EA stations worked plug-and-charge, no calling anyone or using apps or credit cards. As mentioned above, there were some down cabinets or cables along the way, usually I would see it's down before plugging in. Twice something seems to have timed out and the station said it's waiting for the car but the car said it could not start a session (or something similar). The first time I just plugged to a different cable, but the second time I started thinking maybe some initial authorization took too long causing a timeout, so just unplugged and plugged back into the same cable, it started just fine. Furthermore, I didn't see any other cars having issues charging, except for a Rivian RT1 which apparently had its session start ok, but when the occupants went to Walmart and came back, I heard them complain that it stopped for some reason, so they re-plugged in and it started again. Perhaps they experienced a similar timeout as me, but left the car before charging actually started, after the screen said that authorization completed?

Note, as mentioned on the original post, I activated my free EA charging on my car the month prior to delivery, while the car was still traveling across the Atlantic. I don't know if this helped or not, my reasoning was it costed me a month of free charging and connectivity, but gave Porsche and EA ample time to propagate my car's information through their databases. I'm still glad I did it.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
  1. The PCM has a more detailed map of the upcoming turn, but it on the main map and not zoomed in enough to see the detail well. The HUD always shows a small, zoomed in section of the map when it is showing the next turn (and it superimposes the car position onto it) making it more useful. I wonder why the giant right side of the screen that shows the next turn on the PCM doesn't show the same zoomed in map fragment like the HUD - it would be useful
In the nav screen, the left side menu has a button/icon that cycles through different views/behaviors of the map. 'M' is manual, 'auto' does the zooming in/out as needed (and there are a few other options). Is yours in 'auto'?

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the nav screen, the left side menu has a button/icon that cycles through different views/behaviors of the map. 'M' is manual, 'auto' does the zooming in/out as needed (and there are a few other options). Is yours in 'auto'?
Usually it is. It does not zoom in as far as the HUD. I also recently experienced that the car’s position on the map was delayed, vs. on HUD was more real time (and HUD map fragment is more zoomed in on each turn).
Sponsored