im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Now at site ID 100289-03 cable2

connected to 350kw
Max throughput is 132kwso a little better but no where close to 270 and that’s with less than 40% left initially

now 60% and dropped to 109kwh

exasperating

wish I could plug in both sides! Lol

one day maybe ?
I haven’t got my Taycan yet either but watched many YouTube videos on the charging curve. This one is pretty interesting:
Sponsored

ElGordo

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Turismo (2)
Country flag
Thank you all for the input.
Couple of comments:

At no point in time has Porsche support ever indicated that the battery temperature itself is at issue or even suggested to pre-heat the battery. That’s mind boggling as it’s critical to closing the loop on educating themselves and then their customers.

Porsche support also does not seem to be aware of the issue with the car alarms going off randomly.

Electrify America has tried to be helpful at least in defining the problem yet across multiple 350 sites I invariably get 50 to 70 YET when I move to a 150 terminal my rate jumps up to 90 to 100 kWh

That tells me that this isn’t a battery heating issue, it’s likely a software issue or it’s confuddled somehow.

We only have 150kw sites near us so multiple times now I can validate getting 100kwh which of course will follow the charging curve Of which I am well aware.

Porsche 800 support needs to up their game. Invariably they point us back to the dealers and no one is taking responsibility by taking a focused look at the problems.

I have asked one of the dealers to escalate this with Porsche USA as it’s wholly worthy of an articulate, scientific approach that provides a coherent response.

Porsche is selling Taycans like hot cakes and the cars are esthetically pleasing and amazing to drive. I have ZERO problems with the ANY of that

The issues are to have
A. An articulate response from 800 support for a connected car. This demand will ONLY INCREAsE over time by an X factor as more Taycans hit the road. This is an easy fix by building up the Atlanta team where they actually have the capacity to deal and provide purposeful solutions now. It’s obvious they don’t even read these forums!!!!!

B. More effective software updates that put issues to rest such as car alarms randomly going off so they can focus on things that actually matter like getting more range or adding features like active sentry monitoring using the camera system when parked.

Tightening this loop is critical for a Connected car

C. Collaboration with Electrify America to resolve issues related to 15/20 minute charging which I have yet to experience across 3 brand new cross turismo’s. This is science after all and getting more engineers into the front line of support would make it a lot more smooth in the future.

D. Probably time to ink a deal with Tesla to allow ready access to their charging network as it really is embarrassing to watch those cars pull up and leave while I am still swapping cables trying to get any charge at all that comes close to spec. Maybe with more high Kw options we could drive these cars like they are marketed

E. Stop marketing that it’s a 20 min charge at least here in the US. It isn’t up to European standard of infrastructure here.

There is cutting edge and bleeding edge and I would love to be able to drive from MA to NYC like a Porsche should be driven with one stop in between not 3 or 4 that take 40 minutes apiece.

it should be a 3-4 hr drive NOT 6 with me sending out emails or venting in this forum.

I am making time for this by sending emails and providing data, not to be a PIA or a gadfly but because I am feeling let down.

This is Porsche after all not some schlock startup.

Time to grow up

(I just want to note I only used one expletive!)

and thank you ALL for the feedback and suggestions. Each bit of info helps one another.

maybe Porsche staff can stay in touch more by READING IT !!!!!!

OP
OP

USSWEDE

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 2022
Country flag
Update to my original post (some things moving forward)...

I'm at roughly 5000 KM on my Cross Turismo and I'm annoyed at a few things: UPDATES IN BOLD
1. Never got remote park to work (worked 50% of the time on my Tesla S). Got it to drive forward inbetween two cars, outdoors (narrow place)...it was not straight from start and it continued without correcting the angle, meaning it stopped when it got too close to the car on the right. Result: no help. Does the car need to be perfectly aligned to the path to be able to park?
2. Car alarm still goes off even after pressing remote lock twice to deactivate the interior motion detector. After 10 trials today I found a menu in the car where the darn option of 'interior alarm' was back on...deactivated and now it's not upsetting the neighbours again - at least for today. I wonder when the car thinks it knows better and turns interior alarm back on. Having this issue solved must be part of some code that a guy in Stuttgart forgot to document before he quit. I got a service slot and physical hardware was replaced which seems to have solved the issue completely. Even got the car washed and charged. Great work!
3. Consumption - thirsty as heck - I drive the same as with the Tesla, but this car consumes 1 KWH more per 10 KM, which in effect makes the range of the car 33% less than the Tesla. Still averages 34.2 KWH per 100 KM, will monitor in summer (total average, pretty close to highway average).
4. Logon to the car keeps coming back for no good reason. Me and my wife are the only drivers and this car she doesn't want to drive anylonger. Reasons, - the whole list here basically and that it was a 'bad investment' - whatever that means. Logging back in is tiresome and should be totally un-necessary given I have the key to match my profile. Porsche Sweden tried to update the software but got an error message, this is sent to Germany - waiting for solution.
5. Apple car play and navigation - slow as heck - wouldn't you expect a quicker CPU in a Porsche? Car Play usually wakes up 3 minutes into the drive and starts playing whatever I had left on when I parked. Navigation is out-of-date and despite updates can't identify new highways and keeps telling me to turn around. Navigation also isn't synced with voice command - only partial addresses are found. Don't use it -I tried Waze instead but it can't find my location most of the time? Is this the car or my phone? I don't know but didn't have that problem before. Can't send SMS or call anyone when Apple Car Play is activated - which I think is default (at least for me) - do I need to turn car play off to make a call? Come on... Maybe related to #4.
6. This is a 4 seater, and trying to get 5 in the car - even a child - is not possible - why they have an option (that I got) for 5 beats me. This might work for Smurfs, it's narrow and there's no room for legs - any legs. The tray inbetween the seats on the floor removes any possibility to sit in the middle.
7. Headlights, you need extra after-market lights to drive at night - same as the Tesla. Most cars have terrible high-beam power. Can't find anyone who has a good installation for extra high-beam lights (looking for small LEDs)
8. Range mode - there's no way to easily change top speed and the car is extremely conservative in the estimates - only way to bypass is by a traditional 'kick-down" There's a way to do this but it's not easily changed while driving.
9. Charging door openers, - they just don't want to recognize my gestures most of the time. Makes me look silly, swiping, swiping, swiping...I know there's a menu to open these but it's hidden. I think I paid extra for this too. Seems to be weather dependent, the 'wings' where you swipe get dirty just as fast as the rear-view camera.
10. Rocks get caught in the disc brakes - often - making squeeking noises - so the neighbours know I'm coming and can expect the alarm to go off soon... This is interersting, apparently there were no rocks, but rust! I haven't used the breaks hard enough (due to winter), the car uses battery regeneration for 'normal' breaking and thus you need to press them harder every now and then or there will be rust build-up on the discs. In winter I try to avoid using the breaks 'actively' as this is not a safe operation. So, build up some speed on a safe area and apply more pressure to 'clean the discs' is recommended.
11. Arm-rest in-between the seats - how the heck do you open the lid while driving and not being Houdini? Still annoys the heck out of me, and can't find a good place for sunglasses.
12. The charging network of Sweden - Ionity claims to build ultra-fast chargers but the most I find is a cluster of 4 where 1 is typically broken, the other ones occupied by the VW-group and when I finally get a chance to charge - - I GET 80 KWH and I have NEVER seen the claimed 350 (both from Porsche "we are the only ones with this speed" and/or Ionity - what a load of ****! Tesla may be plastic - but they do have a charging network which works - and calling it 'Superchargers' which is an understatement compared to Ionity's 'Ultra-fast'. I think Porsche is responsible for making their cars chargeable unless it should only be used up to 1,5 hours from home. Yeah I know what you're thinking - get a Tesla back - and stop whining... I finally managed to charge at 150 KWH at Ionity, just one more car present at a cluster of 4. There is only one charging station in all of Sweden (at present) which offers 6 on the same site. 4 is not enough and I can't find plans to expand to more. I believe the major car brands who have signed up with Ionity should take some serious measures to get to Tesla-level.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Out of interest, why’d you want to change range mode on the fly? When mine arrives I plan to set it to the UK Motorway limit plus 10% and leave it at that. If I need more urgently there is the kickdown you mentioned or simply flip to normal etc.

RaidenTsao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY20 E-tron 55. Taycan Cross Turismo 4 ordered
Country flag
Wow, that's even thirstier than my MY20 Audi fat e-tron. These days I average 24kwh per 100km in Southern Finland. Will take delivery of my CT4 in May, fingers crossed.

Mr Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S (going), Taycan RWD (incoming)
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your experiences. Regarding the alarm: had this issue like most, but clicking the lock button twice fast seems to have solved this. I need to do this usually 2 or 3 times - sometimes the rear lights flash up once, sometimes twice, but you need to make sure you get three flashes: two short, one longer. This as I understand will deactivate the interior sensor, and in my car it does not come on again out of itself.

Re range: I agree that with the same driving style as in my previous Tesla S75, consumption will be much more. It took me some learning before getting the most range - best to do is to have the consumption indicator showing on your dash all the time, so you can see directly how your driving actions affect range.

My average after 3,500km (since December 1) is a very reasonable 21.0 KwH/100km - I have regen on all the time and use seat and steering wheel heating, with airco off and only (briefly) on in case of defogging. I do a lot of lift and coast when driving in the city, and brake a lot more than I used to.

Last edited:
OP
OP

USSWEDE

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Out of interest, why’d you want to change range mode on the fly? When mine arrives I plan to set it to the UK Motorway limit plus 10% and leave it at that. If I need more urgently there is the kickdown you mentioned or simply flip to normal etc.
Hello, Yes - I want to change it from i.e. 100 KMH to 120 KMH on highways - as the 'recommended' speed is usually with a lot of spare once you arrive. I might just activate to see the calculation and then de-activate to make my own choice - but I'm not quite there yet.
Best!
Jan

OP
OP

USSWEDE

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your experiences. Regarding the alarm: had this issue like most, but clicking the lock button twice fast seems to have solved this. I need to do this usually 2 or 3 times - sometimes the rear lights flash up once, sometimes twice, but you need to make sure you get three flashes: two short, one longer. This as I understand will deactivate the interior sensor, and in my car it does not come on again out of itself.

Re range: I agree that with the same driving style as in my previous Tesla S75, consumption will be much more. It took me some learning before getting the most range - best to do is to have the consumption indicator showing on your dash all the time, so you can see directly how your driving actions affect range.

My average after 3,500km (since December 1) is a very reasonable 21.0 KwH/100km - I have regen on all the time and use seat and steering wheel heating, with airco off and only (briefly) on in case of defogging. I do a lot of lift and coast when driving in the city, and brake a lot more than I used to.
Hello,
Yes, pressing twice didn't do it - the interior alarm went back on (confirmed when checking via the menu). When deactivating via the menu it lasted until next drive. But pressing twice wasn't enough. Now - with problem solved - I'm a lot more satisfied. The car is really great to drive and the feel, road presence, quality, etc...is great (better than Tesla S by far). With the alarm issue out of the way I hope to solve the software issues soon too. The consumption is however puzzling - I see you're able to drive a lot more efficient - which is what you'd expect out of a car this size (and pretty much spot-on with the Tesla S). I wonder if something else is impacting this, even a fault in the shown figures. I will try to do my own measures (KWH filled up and kilometres attainted)... There is no real explanation for more than 10 KW/100 KM in difference...

ElGordo

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Turismo (2)
Country flag
One trick I learned to extend battery life is to only use active regen when in certain conditions instead learn to coast a little more esp on highways.

I use the regen now for gentle braking and in traffic. As you said- much better in winter conditions than jamming on the brakes.

Otherwise, the litany of frustration(s) is spot on with my own experience.

More later as I will post a review of my 256mile world record suckitude trip between NYC and MA once I am back in MA.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Hello, Yes - I want to change it from i.e. 100 KMH to 120 KMH on highways - as the 'recommended' speed is usually with a lot of spare once you arrive. I might just activate to see the calculation and then de-activate to make my own choice - but I'm not quite there yet.
Best!
Jan
Ah, I just saw setting range mode as a way to primarily drop ride height and optimise some of the AC cost. The limit seems pretty unimportant to me (I’d set it to just above motorway speed limit more as a reminder not to zone out and get points on licence on long trips). I’d use cruise for other speed control.

Mr Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S (going), Taycan RWD (incoming)
Country flag
Your consumption could also be relatively high because of colder weather - since it has been a very mild winter here so far, with no subzero temperatures. I also admit I am currently driving more like a granny in the RWD as compared to in my MS. But even then, the Tesla attained an average consumption of 19.6 KwH/100km over a total of 110,000km, which I presume will be kind of hard to realize with the Taycan.

I also noticed that there is a BIG difference if you accelerate quicker, so I usually pull away slowly - maybe not what you would expect from a Porsche...

ElGordo

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Turismo (2)
Country flag
It took me an HOUR this evening to get a charger to work at the Providence RI Electrify America site.

I had to move my car 5 times. Use three different stations and 5 different cables and speak to two different EA reps.

an HOUR to get a charge started is f&cking idiotic.
And yes battery was preheated
Car charged 2hrs earlier at another 350 site in CT at 164kwh

I want to hire a lawyer so that Porsche and EA will actually deliver on what’s been promised.

This is a class action if there ever was one.

Tomorrow I start making calls.

If people are suing for frikkn CarPlay not connecting and operating properly this is pretty basic.

as for the guy who drove cross country with 2 1/2 hrs of charging - I believe it’s complete horse shit.

I am LIVID
Sponsored