riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I love their EV videos. The presenter is a great EV enthusiast and they do great road trip and real world range tests.

His Taycan Cannonball is a fun watch.

Evnoob

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I honestly don’t get the CT. It’s a stylish car, with a different profile to the saloon and a fraction more ground clearance. But it’s no off road car. I don’t get it. Surely I could take a 4s if the rocks were an inch shorter, but why would I?

Surely nobody chooses a CT for its off road?

it’s just a road car surely? I don’t think I’d even want to spray gravel up the side of it any more than I would a saloon.

Is it me?

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
I honestly don’t get the CT. It’s a stylish car, with a different profile to the saloon and a fraction more ground clearance. But it’s no off road car. I don’t get it. Surely I could take a 4s if the rocks were an inch shorter, but why would I?

it’s just a road car surely? I don’t think I’d even want to spray gravel up the side of it any more than I would a saloon.

Is it me?
You don't get it because you live in a country where a wagon (estate) is an acceptable car. Here in the good ole USofA (insert obligatory yee haw!) wagons are lot rocks. Sales death. Unesllable. So how do people sell them? By trying to lamely re-invent them as "softroaders" or some such nonsense. Which does, to an extent, work. Taking a product that sells in the dozens and now moves two or three dozens. LOL.

It's an estate with a marketing tag. Why do you think the Turbo comes with painted trim instead of the raw plastic? Having said that, it gives up very little cool factor to the sedan (IMO) while gaining very useful rear headroom and increased practicality.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I think this is pretty cool, even if Porsche didn't design this for 'off-road' and only intended it for 'gravel', the fact that he is willing to push the limits to show how well this was engineered.....I give him kudos for the effort!

I was also surprised at how stiff the chassis is to basically have this balance on two wheels at one point!

I thought it was also intriguing on how the electronic LSD worked, when i saw the wheel floating and starting to spin, I thought for sure it would just continue to spin! But it puts power to the wheels. However, it sounds like it does this by individually breaking a single caliper.....how does it do this with a master cylinder? I know F1 cars have two that they can adjust the fulcrum on with the brake pedal and this applies more or less pressure to the front/back hydraulics, but how does it do this for the Taycan, unless it uses the regen brake to perform the resistance???

This actually sparks a ton of ideas for me....for example, I think the ultimate 4-wheel drive vehicle 'could' be the MB G-Wagon - with 4 electronic motors. It would reduce the need for an axle and a differential (even an in-line LSD for front or back wheel pairs). This should allow for massive clearance and travel with independent wheels as well as one could potentially choose which wheels they want to engage (single of their choice, two of choice, three of choice or all 4). This would be actually even better than the g-wagon's 'real' 4-wheel drive system. I commanded one of these in the US Marine Corps and can say it is the best 4-wheel drive system I have ever seen. In fact, we use to take them and strap the Hummve's that would get stuck to the MB (it was called a IFAV - intermintent fast attack vehicle). I guess my point is that an EV hard-core 4-wheel drive vehicle may actually be THE best way to tackle the off-roads. The only draw back will be where to charge it up as I have yet to see a solar powered Lv1 or Lv2 charger and adapter made yet.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag

Is it me?

These are videos promoted by Porsche. I don't really think they are saying this is something you should be doing with any regularity, but rather showing you the capability of the car should you find yourself in a sticky situation.

It's actually really cool to see how smart and adaptive the suspension is.

Reactions: B61

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
This actually sparks a ton of ideas for me....for example, I think the ultimate 4-wheel drive vehicle 'could' be the MB G-Wagon - with 4 electronic motors. It would reduce the need for an axle and a differential (even an in-line LSD for front or back wheel pairs). This should allow for massive clearance and travel with independent wheels as well as one could potentially choose which wheels they want to engage (single of their choice, two of choice, three of choice or all 4). This would be actually even better than the g-wagon's 'real' 4-wheel drive system.
Ask and ye shall recieve.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/vehicles/passenger-cars/g-class/concept-eqg/

Rivian and Hummer look pretty hard core so far. But yeah, cool that a lowly lifted wagon can do this kind of thing.

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
I plan on using my CT as a daily driver which means taking it up to the mountains where there are countless dirt roads and snow covered tracks to navigate when getting to various lakes or ski spots. Very comforting to see how well it performs as I will be the crazy idiot who drives it everywhere.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Great to see what the Taycan CT is capable off! It’s basically a 911 (Sport), Panamera (Normal) and Macan (gravel) in 1! Perfect car for an outdoor enthusiast.

I tried the gravel mode here but looks like it can take on much rougher mountain roads. Time for a test me thinks ?

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Goes off Road 2E23E888-27F5-446D-9923-2EEE8B1F73C4

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Goes off Road FADFA214-14E5-4F35-9FEB-D695EBA1140B

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
Ask and ye shall recieve.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/vehicles/passenger-cars/g-class/concept-eqg/

Rivian and Hummer look pretty hard core so far. But yeah, cool that a lowly lifted wagon can do this kind of thing.
that's cool! I don't know what the box is for on the back though? is it a spare battery? Why not keep the spare tire? I don't like the wheels, seems like they are moving more toward a 'street-G-wagon' vs. the provenance of the model which is truly a fantastic 4-wheel drive system, I would argue the one that has manual levers to adjust the differential is the most advanced system ever engineered. Would be a shame if they don't design this for off-road use and then if people want to keep it on paved roads, that is fine, but it should be capable if it has a G badge on it.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I plan on using my CT as a daily driver which means taking it up to the mountains where there are countless dirt roads and snow covered tracks to navigate when getting to various lakes or ski spots. Very comforting to see how well it performs as I will be the crazy idiot who drives it everywhere.
I agree with this. I'm a raised-wagon guy who doesn't care for SUVs or for cars with very low ground clearance. One of my cars is a 2001 Volvo Cross Country wagon, but Volvo has gone the wrong direction under Ford and Geely in the last 15 years on many fronts. Subaru makes a raised wagon that is very popular in the US, though I don't like Subaru for a myriad of reasons. Being a Porsche guy, I was really happy when I saw the prototype Cross Turismo (originally a raised Mission E wagon) appear several years back (before the Taycan sedan was released).

Like many four-door Porsche owners, I do hiking, skiing, and bicycling -- and I prefer a car (not an SUV) that can do as much as possible with some extra ground clearance while still driving like a Porsche. My Volvo wagon drives better than the vast majority of SUVs (Porsche's SUVs excepted) despite having 8 inches of ground clearance with AWD. My sales rep thinks that the CT will sell more vehicles here than will the Taycan sedan, once Porsche can produce enough of them; a high percentage of people apparently think that the CT has a better exterior appearance than the Taycan sedan (and I'm one of them) -- in addition to the better visibiity, practicality, and cheaper price tag. The CT4 starts at a decent price; it's the second-cheapest Taycan after the rear-wheel-drive sedan, and is quite a bargain with air suspension (and the raised ground clearance) and AWD being standard, and the added cargo space and rear-seat room over the RWD Taycan sedan.

I would never buy the Taycan sedan. For me, it has been a debate between the CT and the forthcoming Macan BEV; the only reason why it's a debate is that I wish the CT had a higher ground clearance about an inch higher than it appears to have (i.e., 8 inches vs. 7 inches). But I prefer the looks and driving dynamics of the CT (and my Panamera Sport Turismo) to those of the Macan. I am glad that Porsche has the CT; I would like to see it offered without a glass roof in the US, as it is in Europe. I am alone in my car most of the time, so a glass roof is only a nuisance and liability (sunlight, heat issues; difficulty to keep clean; propensity to crack or break; heavier then metal roof but less safe in an accident), not an asset to me.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Off-road package should come with a winch. How else am I going to tackle Moab?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Anyone noticed the following (a bug?): pedal recuperation has to be manually switched ON.
when you change drive mode (from normal to sports, or gravel), recup stays on….but when you change drive mode back to normal, recup is also switched off.

IMO, I don’t see any reason for such “behaviour”, do you?
also, I‘d prefer that recup mode should be on by default…or at least it should stay “on” until next change.
Sponsored