enginerdify

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
When I purchased my 4CT, I really wanted to achieve that low-slung sport wagon look. The ST was not announced yet, and my wallet won't support the GTS ST price anyway. So, here is what I did to achieve everything...

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers IMG_9290

Lowering
The CT sits 20mm higher than the sedan in the regular ride height setting. Starting from this thread and particularly the post about the comparison in lengths between the suspension links on the sedan vs CT, I started down the path of erasing the 20mm bump to set my CT to ride at the sedan height in the regular setting.

Parts
I looked at links available in the internet marketplace - VR Racing and FVD seemed to be the most popular for ~$200+ a set. I researched the option of obtaining the sedan links from Porsche parts, but as others have found, the small plastic link pieces themselves are not sold individually - they are only sold with the sensor for an even greater price. Both of these options seemed far too expensive for replacing 4 pieces of plastic that are not load-bearing. Using the thread that sent me down this path along with this YouTube video, I decided to create my own links instead.

I ordered some stainless steel threaded rods and some rod end ball bearings from Amazon for a grand total of ~$42. The 100mm rods with the ball bearings on them totaled 120mm ball-to-ball. Using the sedan link ball-to-ball measurements of 88mm front and 95mm rear, I cut 2 rods each to 68mm and 75mm, respectively. I used the nuts that came with the rod end ball bearings to keep pressure on the ball ends. They looked roughly like this:

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644189176389

Trials
1st
For my first height adjustment, I used the sedan lengths as a starting point and extrapolated out the lengths from there to what I ultimately wanted - an ultimate drop - known as CUSTOM B The look was exactly what I was going for, but after a test drive in regular mode, I found myself hitting the bump stops and ending up with a very harsh ride.

2nd
Learning from the first attempt, for my second height adjustment, I decided to just go with the SEDAN lengths straight up. The ride was far improved and actually fine in regular mode on city streets. I could only slightly feel a bit harsher ride than the stock links on the low mode once I tested on the highway and the car forced itself into lowered mode. The gap between the tires and the fender on the front looked a bit off so I added an extra mm to the front links - I am calling this SEDAN+.

From this, I concluded (as others have found researching suspension parts) that it is not only the links that are different between the sedan and the CT, but perhaps the entire engineering setup of the suspension. The CT seems to be engineered to travel at a higher ride (perhaps the ST will use the sedan components). The factory low mode seems to be set at its position as that is likely the minimum amount of travel range in the suspension required for that Porsche smooth ride quality. This sedan-height trial slightly decreased the suspension travel range beyond this engineered limit, resulting in the harsher ride over imperfect surfaces in the lowered and low modes.​

3rd
Since my initial target was for the regular mode post-lowering to be equal to low mode pre-lowering, I used the ratio data I had gathered from the first two attempts to figure out the link length to achieve this goal - a balance between maintaining ride quality and having availability to further lower the car beyond its stock minimum - known as CUSTOM A . Turns out, a 5mm delta from the stock links both front and rear is pretty close to make new regular be old low.

The CUSTOM A result is a new normal mode equal to the stock low mode - a deviation from stock regular of 3/8" front and 1/2" rear - and the ability to achieve a new minimum ride height in low mode that is 7/8" lower than could be achieved stock. A perfect balance of ride quality and lowered look.​

Link Lengths
ball center-to-ball center
REARFRONT
STOCK102mm82mm
SEDAN+95mm89mm
CUSTOM B ultimate drop91mm91mm
CUSTOM A balanced ride97mm87mm

Result
Ultimately, I chose to stay on SEDAN+ lengths due to the look and almost imperceptible compromise to ride quality, after testing on different driving surfaces. The SEDAN+ result is a new normal mode equal to the stock low mode minus 1/4" - and the ability to achieve a new minimum ride height in low mode that is 1-1/8" lower than could be achieved stock. A perfect balance of ride quality and lowered look. Additionally, I noted that by default, the nose is 1/4" lower than the rear and the new SEDAN+ lengths maintained this.

Ground Clearance
measured from the inner-most underbody along the front and rear jack points to flat concrete surface
REARFRONT
STOCK @102mmCUSTOM A @97mmSEDAN+ @95mmCUSTOM B @91mmSTOCK @82mmCUSTOM A @87mmSEDAN+ @89mmCUSTOM B @91mm
LIFT6-7/8"6-5/8"
↓ 1/4"
6-5/8"
↓ 1/4"
6-3/8"
↓ 1/2"
6-3/4"6-3/8"
↓ 3/8"
6-1/2"
↓ 1/4"
6-1/4"
↓ 1/2"
REGULAR6-1/8"5-5/8"
↓ 1/2"
5-3/8"
↓ 3/4"
5-1/4"
↓ 7/8"
5-3/4"5-3/8"
↓ 3/8"
5-1/8"
↓ 5/8"
5"
↓ 3/4"
LOW5-5/8"4-3/4"
↓ 7/8"
4-1/2"
↓ 1-1/8"
4-1/2"
↓ 1-1/8"
5-3/8"4-1/2"
↓ 7/8"
4-1/4"
↓ 1-1/8"
4-1/8"
↓ 1-1/4"
LOWERED (hwy auto)5-3/16"4-7/8"4-7/8"4-5/8"

Fender Gap
distance from top of tire to fender edge at wheel center
REARFRONT
CUSTOM ASEDAN+CUSTOM ASEDAN+
REGULAR2-1/8"1-3/4"2"1-3/4"
LOW1-5/16"1"1-1/4"1"

Spacing
After achieving the desired ride height adjustments, I went about creating that flush fender/wheel look with spacers. The ones from 4 Wheel Spacers is what I ultimately went with - 15mm front and 18mm rear - for my 21" Cross Turismo Design wheels and Continental ProContact RX all season tires. The result is a perfectly flush look.

Spacers
2022 CT with 21" Cross Turismo Design wheels
REARFRONT
18mm15mm

Lowering Photos
old top (no spacers), new bottom (with spacers)

Lift Mode
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644191332281

Regular Mode
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644190909697

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers regular-front-2

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers regular-rear-2

Low Mode
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644191134051

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers low-front-2

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers low-rear-2

Spacer Photos
old left, new right

Rear
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644192561062

Front
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644192466972

Front Right
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644191880814

Front Left
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644192010471

Rear Left
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644192122897

Rear Right
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Lowered + Spacers 1644192184588

Parts

Referenced Threads

Last edited:

ff2kracer

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 Spyder and TCT Turbo
Country flag
First, this is amazing -- thank you for taking the time to post your learnings!

ball-to-ball
Quick question about your measurements. Could you please clarify, specifically, how you measured "ball-to-ball"? Does that imply you are measuring from center-to-center of the ball joint? If so, how did you just eyeball it with a micrometer?

OP
OP
enginerdify

enginerdify

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
First, this is amazing -- thank you for taking the time to post your learnings!

Quick question about your measurements. Could you please clarify, specifically, how you measured "ball-to-ball"? Does that imply you are measuring from center-to-center of the ball joint? If so, how did you just eyeball it with a micrometer?
@ff2kracer - yes this means center to center. I used a digital caliper and “eyeballed” the socket center. Pretty easy to see the apex of the curve of the socket piece. Also, once the first length is “set”, subsequent adjustments are simply a number of turns in or out on the threaded rod - 1 turn = 1mm adjustment.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
When I purchased my 4CT, I really wanted to achieve that low-slung sport wagon look. The ST was not announced yet, and my wallet won't support the GTS ST price anyway. So, here is what I did to achieve everything...

IMG_9290.jpg

Lowering
The CT sits 20mm higher than the sedan in the regular ride height setting. Starting from this thread and particularly the post about the comparison in lengths between the suspension links on the sedan vs CT, I started down the path of erasing the 20mm bump to set my CT to ride at the sedan height in the regular setting.

Parts
I looked at links available in the internet marketplace - VR Racing and FVD seemed to be the most popular for ~$200+ a set. I researched the option of obtaining the sedan links from Porsche parts, but as others have found, the small plastic link pieces themselves are not sold individually - they are only sold with the sensor for an even greater price. Both of these options seemed far too expensive for replacing 4 pieces of plastic that are not load-bearing. Using the thread that sent me down this path along with this YouTube video, I decided to create my own links instead.

I ordered some stainless steel threaded rods and some rod end ball bearings from Amazon for a grand total of ~$42. The 100mm rods with the ball bearings on them totaled 120mm ball-to-ball. Using the sedan link ball-to-ball measurements of 88mm front and 95mm rear, I cut 2 rods each to 68mm and 75mm, respectively. I used the nuts that came with the rod end ball bearings to keep pressure on the ball ends. They looked roughly like this:

1644189176389.png

Trials
1st
For my first height adjustment, I used the sedan lengths as a starting point and extrapolated out the lengths from there to what I ultimately wanted - an ultimate drop - known as CUSTOM ? The look was exactly what I was going for, but after a test drive in regular mode, I found myself hitting the bump stops and ending up with a very harsh ride.

2nd
Learning from the first attempt, for my second height adjustment, I decided to just go with the SEDAN lengths straight up. The ride was far improved and actually fine in regular mode on city streets. I could only slightly feel a bit harsher ride than the stock links on the low mode once I tested on the highway and the car forced itself into lowered mode. The gap between the tires and the fender on the front looked a bit off so I added an extra mm to the front links - I am calling this SEDAN+.

From this, I concluded (as others have found researching suspension parts) that it is not only the links that are different between the sedan and the CT, but perhaps the entire engineering setup of the suspension. The CT seems to be engineered to travel at a higher ride (perhaps the ST will use the sedan components). The factory low mode seems to be set at its position as that is likely the minimum amount of travel range in the suspension required for that Porsche smooth ride quality. This sedan-height trial slightly decreased the suspension travel range beyond this engineered limit, resulting in the harsher ride over imperfect surfaces in the lowered and low modes.​

3rd
Since my initial target was for the regular mode post-lowering to be equal to low mode pre-lowering, I used the ratio data I had gathered from the first two attempts to figure out the link length to achieve this goal - a balance between maintaining ride quality and having availability to further lower the car beyond its stock minimum - known as CUSTOM ? . Turns out, a 5mm delta from the stock links both front and rear is pretty close to make new regular be old low.

The CUSTOM ? result is a new normal mode equal to the stock low mode - a deviation from stock regular of 3/8" front and 1/2" rear - and the ability to achieve a new minimum ride height in low mode that is 7/8" lower than could be achieved stock. A perfect balance of ride quality and lowered look.​

Link Lengths
ball-to-ball
REARFRONT
STOCK102mm82mm
SEDAN+95mm89mm
CUSTOM ? ultimate drop91mm91mm
CUSTOM ? balanced ride97mm87mm

Result
Ultimately, I chose to stay on SEDAN+ lengths due to the look and almost imperceptible compromise to ride quality, after testing on different driving surfaces. The SEDAN+ result is a new normal mode equal to the stock low mode minus 1/4" - and the ability to achieve a new minimum ride height in low mode that is 1-1/8" lower than could be achieved stock. A perfect balance of ride quality and lowered look. Additionally, I noted that by default, the nose is 1/4" lower than the rear and the new SEDAN+ lengths maintained this.

Ground Clearance
measured from the inner-most underbody along the front and rear jack points to flat concrete surface
REARFRONT
STOCK @102mmCUSTOM ? @97mmSEDAN+ @95mmCUSTOM ? @91mmSTOCK @82mmCUSTOM ? @87mmSEDAN+ @89mmCUSTOM ? @91mm
LIFT6-7/8"6-5/8"
↓ 1/4"
6-5/8"
↓ 1/4"
6-3/8"
↓ 1/2"
6-3/4"6-3/8"
↓ 3/8"
6-1/2"
↓ 1/4"
6-1/4"
↓ 1/2"
REGULAR6-1/8"5-5/8"
↓ 1/2"
5-3/8"
↓ 3/4"
5-1/4"
↓ 7/8"
5-3/4"5-3/8"
↓ 3/8"
5-1/8"
↓ 1/2"
5"
↓ 3/4"
LOW5-5/8"4-3/4"
↓ 7/8"
4-1/2"
↓ 1-1/8"
4-1/2"
↓ 1-1/8"
5-3/8"4-1/2"
↓ 7/8"
4-1/4"
↓ 1-1/8"
4-1/8"
↓ 1-1/4"
LOWERED (hwy auto)5-3/16"4-7/8"4-7/8"4-5/8"

Fender Gap
distance from top of tire to fender edge at wheel center
REARFRONT
CUSTOM ?SEDAN+CUSTOM ?SEDAN+
REGULAR2-1/8"1-3/4"2"1-3/4"
LOW1-5/16"1"1-1/4"1"

Spacing
After achieving the desired ride height adjustments, I went about creating that flush fender/wheel look with spacers. The ones from 4 Wheel Spacers is what I ultimately went with - 15mm front and 18mm rear - for my 21" Cross Turismo Design wheels and Continental ProContact RX all season tires. The result is a perfectly flush look.

Spacers
2022 CT with 21" Cross Turismo Design wheels
REARFRONT
18mm15mm

Lowering Photos
old top (no spacers), new bottom (with spacers)

Lift Mode
1644191332281.png

Regular Mode
1644190909697.png

regular-front-2.jpg

regular-rear-2.jpg

Low Mode
1644191134051.png

low-front-2.jpg

low-rear-2.jpg

Spacer Photos
old left, new right

Rear
1644192561062.png

Front
1644192466972.png

Front Right
1644191880814.png

Front Left
1644192010471.png

Rear Left
1644192122897.png

Rear Right
1644192184588.png

Parts

Referenced Threads
Bravo!

ct-andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (eta Feb)
Country flag
Wow what a detailed comparison. I have bought ViviRacing lowering link gonna install it end of this month. Maybe I will use your spec too. :D

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Awesome info! I also found that using the sedan link lengths that the front sat a bit higher than the rear which meant I had to adjust the fronts a further 1.5mm to get the fender gap equal. Pretty sweet with these links how fast and easy you can adjust ride heights. And without removing your wheels. Running essentially the same as your sedan+ settings and pretty happy with it. I was contemplating going even lower but thanks to your post I’ll probably leave it.

Curious what camber settings you’re running? At my low setting (or it might be lowered, don’t have my note book next to me) I’ve got -1.5 deg front and -2.5deg rear. This will affect how much less offset I can run as I plan to pull out some camber from the rear after my first track day.

Visceral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 Turbo S. Spyder and CT4S on the way
Country flag
The Off Road Design Pack defaults to another 10mm or ride height, so I wonder if one has it they might consider a little more drop. @bsclywilly has 2.5 more MM in the front to bring his ORDP down in the front from your measurements, but his ORDP runs 10mm more height in the “medium” default.

thank you!

it looks like you have +15 offset to match the wheel cladding. I wonder if the cladding was gone less (~10mm spacers) would be ideal. I’d prefer to stay equal F/R.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
The Off Road Design Pack defaults to another 10mm or ride height, so I wonder if one has it they might consider a little more drop. @bsclywilly has 2.5 more MM in the front to bring his ORDP down in the front from your measurements, but his ORDP runs 10mm more height in the “medium”
High is default for ORDP but regular, lowered and low settings are still the same as non-ORDP.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Aren’t left hand threaded ball connectors needed to eliminate having to pull one end to adjust?

aatothek

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E92 M3, S6 AVANT C7, Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
What colour is that? Stunning!

murphy12345

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
@enginerdify amazing write-up.

Can you share more info on the removal and installation of the lowering links? Also is it possible to remove and install without removing the wheels and lifting the car up?
Sponsored