CT Owners: Glamping-Emergency-Offroad Air Mattress

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Fully aware there are quite a few options for in car air mattresses out there, many specific to vehicle models, but thought I'd share the one I purchased as it is a very good (if slightly imperfect) fit to the Cross Turismo - the LUNO Air Mattress.

So if at any time sleeping 'under the stars' in your CT without the worry of bears or badgers chewing on your toes is appealing have a look at POST #37 here:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...r-to-delivery-to-mods.8208/page-3#post-121375

Happy New Year all :)
Cheers, C.
Sponsored

jja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
In the other post, you mentioned the top or head end fits between the front seats and the wheel wells. What about the tail or foot end? With the hatch closed, is the mattress snug to the hatch, breathable (so it doesn't get caught), or any extra room?

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
Just as an FYI, the mattress may not be able to work with the sedan due to the trunk / rear window-bottom frame from a height perspective. However, the sedan is big enough to lay down the back-seats and lie down with your feet going into the trunk.

My son and I were at a lacrosse tournament over the summer that was about 80% humidity and about 100 degrees out and he had 4-games that day. If anyone has ever played on artificial turf, you know it is about 20-degrees hotter on the field, than the temperature outside due to the 'plastic grass' basically acting as a reflector and the black granulated tires as the dirt.

Well, we needed a way to cool down between games and also stretch the legs....sitting was not fun, nor did shade provide reprieve. So, I put down the seats and turned on the pre-cool on the app during a game. When he was done, we laid down in the car, both of us fit fine and we were in an air conditioned "cantata-hammock" while we reviewed the game video, drank Gatorade and then watched some netflix sports for the next hour between games.

The only complaint was, you can't bend your knees up while laying on your back, due to the trunk. So, I can imagine that this is even better with the Cross-Tourismo and the mattress would make this even better. I am just not sure if the mattress is too 'high'? Even with the CT/ST, I might just option for the camping mattress pads. The additional benefit of the mattress is that if fills the gaps right behind the front seats! I had to bolster this up with other things when we made our make-shift AC-lounger.

I may purchase this for the sedan anyhow for that reason and then just not fully inflate the flat portion. It would be cool if they made a slimmer profile mattress and/or one like the camping versions which are like 1/2" thick and are just open cell/foam inside with an air valve, so you can roll it up to minimal thickness and then just open the valve, unroll and close the valve to keep it taught. Too me, this is honestly more comfortable and firm than a pure-air mattress anyhow, even at 1/4 of the air mattresses thickness.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just as an FYI, the mattress may not be able to work with the sedan due to the trunk / rear window-bottom frame from a height perspective. However, the sedan is big enough to lay down the back-seats and lie down with your feet going into the trunk.

My son and I were at a lacrosse tournament over the summer that was about 80% humidity and about 100 degrees out and he had 4-games that day. If anyone has ever played on artificial turf, you know it is about 20-degrees hotter on the field, than the temperature outside due to the 'plastic grass' basically acting as a reflector and the black granulated tires as the dirt.

Well, we needed a way to cool down between games and also stretch the legs....sitting was not fun, nor did shade provide reprieve. So, I put down the seats and turned on the pre-cool on the app during a game. When he was done, we laid down in the car, both of us fit fine and we were in an air conditioned "cantata-hammock" while we reviewed the game video, drank Gatorade and then watched some netflix sports for the next hour between games.

The only complaint was, you can't bend your knees up while laying on your back, due to the trunk. So, I can imagine that this is even better with the Cross-Tourismo and the mattress would make this even better. I am just not sure if the mattress is too 'high'? Even with the CT/ST, I might just option for the camping mattress pads. The additional benefit of the mattress is that if fills the gaps right behind the front seats! I had to bolster this up with other things when we made our make-shift AC-lounger.

I may purchase this for the sedan anyhow for that reason and then just not fully inflate the flat portion. It would be cool if they made a slimmer profile mattress and/or one like the camping versions which are like 1/2" thick and are just open cell/foam inside with an air valve, so you can roll it up to minimal thickness and then just open the valve, unroll and close the valve to keep it taught. Too me, this is honestly more comfortable and firm than a pure-air mattress anyhow, even at 1/4 of the air mattresses thickness.
Absolutely re probable limitations when used in a sedan - I was def focused on the CT trunk design for it's use. That said, I had actually only half inflated this mattress at one point and indeed tested as was curious if that was sufficient to support me and it did a decent job.

However I think I too would look into other camping mats for the sedan - I used a variety (many self inflating) when wilderness camping that you deflate and roll up for back-packing that I suspect would be more than sufficient if just a temporary use in a sedan as you describe (or for that matter in the CT) - there are certainly a lot of options out there.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the other post, you mentioned the top or head end fits between the front seats and the wheel wells. What about the tail or foot end? With the hatch closed, is the mattress snug to the hatch, breathable (so it doesn't get caught), or any extra room?
With this model size when you get it 'snug' between the wheel well arches and the back of the front seats you end up with a few inches gap to the rear hatch/door - I actually really prefer this as it allows (if I want) for my feet to hang a little off the end but indeed no issues whatsoever in respect being too tight to the closed hatch.

Reactions: jja