CT4 initial thoughts: the good, the bad and the ugly

Doc Sportello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Forgive me for sharing a few thoughts about my new CT4 - but some of these I didn't appreciate on ordering and may be of use if anyone is wavering...

Good

Even in base form it moves like the wind and will easily see off a (non competition) M4 and even an RS4 once on the move. The RS6 I met kept pace but couldn't match the instant pick up. And this is a base CT4, remember.

Handling is incredible and completely belies its size and weight.

Unlike others on here I find PCM 6 a joy to use and the haptic feedback is excellent.

Boot and rear passenger space is surprisingly good.

FOD - when working - is great. Now trying them all!

The bad

No anti-glare rear view mirror on an £86k car? Really?!

Not speccing better kick plates leaves you with a black plastic boot sill trim that scratches if you breathe on it, which somewhat undermines the whole off road / sturdy thing.

Many a cheap feeling plastic in the cockpit. My 530d touring felt like a Rolls Royce in comparison.

My car has a good few hundred miles on it and is still showing "awaiting delivery" on the app. Which is odd, as I have full connect control over it and, yes, it's right there on my drive.

The ugly

Damn that central storage compartment and its awkward opening procedure and limited space to hell.

I don't need two cup holders. Hell, in this car I don't need or even want one! I do need a place to store keys and wallet etc.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I'm guessing anti-glare mirrors you mean auto dimming? Think in US its standard equipment but UK has more a la carte customization

Re: Plastic, did you order the full leather, or just the standard interior?

Car_fan

First Name
Imran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q8
Country flag
If you didnt tick the full leather option then yeah you will see plastic instead but I would have hoped it would still feel decent quality.
My Audi Q8 has some plastic as well but doesn’t feel or look cheap.
That said Porsche is a performance car first and luxury second, that’s if you tick the right options to make it a performan/luxury car.

I agree with you about the cup holders though - no way is a coffee cup going inside my Porsche when it arrives.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unless they've changed the standard interior since I got it, the plastic parts are excellent quality and much nicer than what I've had in Jaguars, BMWs, etc. It's a very nice standard interior.

The coffee cups are awesome and work great, love them!

As mentioned above, auto dim mirrors are standard on US cars.

The opening for the center console is bizarre and complete shit. Don't know what they were thinking.

It sounds like maybe you didn't thoroughly investigate a couple of options or your SA didn't help you enough. Bummer!

OP
OP
Doc Sportello

Doc Sportello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Unless they've changed the standard interior since I got it, the plastic parts are excellent quality and much nicer than what I've had in Jaguars, BMWs, etc. It's a very nice standard interior.

The coffee cups are awesome and work great, love them!

As mentioned above, auto dim mirrors are standard on US cars.

The opening for the center console is bizarre and complete shit. Don't know what they were thinking.

It sounds like maybe you didn't thoroughly investigate a couple of options or your SA didn't help you enough. Bummer!
True. But it's not exactly clear from the configuration what a certain option includes or excludes.

That latest BMW I had set the bar in terms of materials, and it was 'only' a fully specced 530d - although I totally get the post above about Porsche preference of performance vs luxury.

I just don't see how obvious omissions like auto dimming mirrors or plastics of a decent quality help.

That said, it's still an awesome means of getting around...

OP
OP
Doc Sportello

Doc Sportello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I'm guessing anti-glare mirrors you mean auto dimming? Think in US its standard equipment but UK has more a la carte customization

Re: Plastic, did you order the full leather, or just the standard interior?
Standard...

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Ha, this is actually great to hear as a future CT4 owner! The bad and the ugly are either features I will order/get, or stuff I don't really care about in the grand scheme of things.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Standard...
Hmm where is the cheap plastic mostly located? I know the one part that I'm going to plan to try to wrap in alcantara is the lower B Pillar. That's the most glaring to me, even with the upgraded leather, and requires alcantara headliner and the B pillar option to fix otherwise (too much money to spend on RWD, would rather DIY)

Wondering if there's anywhere else that's glaring

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My side view mirrors are auto dimming, the rear view mirror though? I think it's just a normal mirror, no?
It should be auto dim as well - only economy cars these days have manual dim rearview mirrors with the switch you have to flip